The Grill and BBQ thread

Nice! Please post pics of the smoked cheese if it turns out like you want.
Will do. I've been waiting for a nice brisk day to try it. Food City's curb side grocery service gave us way more cheddar than we asked for by mistake. So i figured it was a good day for an experiment.

I'm about an hour and a half into the cold smoke. The tube seems to be enough to raise the temprature in the Weber. I've gone from 40 degrees to 65 degrees. I've seen several folks say to put the cheese on a rack over a pan of ice water to keep the temp down. So I put a pan of ice water in there and put the cheese on a small grill grate over it. Hopefully that will mitigate the rise in temperature. Next time I may try using my old pit barrel (I have an old powder coat one too) for the cold smoke. Hopefully the extra air space will keep the temperature from tracking up.

Here is the cheese with a bit of unsmoked for reference. I left it in for 3 hours. The tube raised the temperature in the Weber to much so I transfered everything into my old pit barrel for the 2nd half of the smoke. That worked better. The temp still crept up, but at a much slower rate. I was toying with the idea of using the the old barrel for cold smoking anyway. I guess I'll be doing that.
20181222_135210.jpg

Reactions: Boca Vol
Thanks! I had been looking at Shun knives for a while and read about the construction process. I just hadn't pulled the trigger... Merry Christmas to me!

I do wish it came with a sheath or box (esp for the price). I ordered a blade guard last night. Displaying with a stand or magnetic strip looks cool, but I don't think I want it quite so accessible with my three kids plus however many from the neighborhood might be roaming the house

Thanks! I had been looking at Shun knives for a while and read about the construction process. I just hadn't pulled the trigger... Merry Christmas to me!

I do wish it came with a sheath or box (esp for the price). I ordered a blade guard last night. Displaying with a stand or magnetic strip looks cool, but I don't think I want it quite so accessible with my three kids plus however many from the neighborhood might be roaming the house

Very nice!

It doesn't address the child safety issue, but I have a couple of these and they show off that beautiful steel nicely.

81P-ewz0RVL._SX466_.jpg

Here is the cheese with a bit of unsmoked for reference. I left it in for 3 hours. The tube raised the temperature in the Weber to much so I transfered everything into my old pit barrel for the 2nd half of the smoke. That worked better. The temp still crept up, but at a much slower rate. I was toying with the idea of using the the old barrel for cold smoking anyway. I guess I'll be doing that.
View attachment 184915
Very nice!

Very nice!

It doesn't address the child safety issue, but I have a couple of these and they show off that beautiful steel nicely.

81P-ewz0RVL._SX466_.jpg

I saw that yesterday on Amazon. Will be perfect once the kids are older (and I get a couple more knives worthy of displaying, ha ha)...

The 12 wings of Christmas 😀

Choices of grilled, baked and fried. Six different seasonings, and 12 sauces: Mango Coconut, BBQ, Buffalo , Buffalo habanero, Parmesan garlic, Teriyaki, Red Curry, Green Curry, Thai Chili BBQ, Garlipeno, Sweet Chili, and Spicy Apricot.

If that wasn't enough Hope fried coconut shrimp, zucchini, pickles, onion rings, and mushrooms.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you had a good one!

IMG_20181223_150326.jpgIMG_20181223_193710.jpgIMG_20181223_203948_936.jpgIMG_20181223_202047.jpg

Ka-CHING! Boom!
Thanks! I think pulling at 118 was just right. After resting, it was perfectly med-rare. I was hesitant and considered going to 120-125, but I think that might have overshot my goal. I used a little bacon grease + pan stock to paint before a quick sear.

My only complaint is that it wasn't the greatest cut of rib: Choice from Fresh Market. Good, but not as nicely marbled as Prime. I really think with ribeye, more than other steaks, it's worth it to splurge for the best.

Thanks! I think pulling at 118 was just right. After resting, it was perfectly med-rare. I was hesitant and considered going to 120-125, but I think that might have overshot my goal. I used a little bacon grease + pan stock to paint before a quick sear.

My only complaint is that it wasn't the greatest cut of rib: Choice from Fresh Market. Good, but not as nicely marbled as Prime. I really think with ribeye, more than other steaks, it's worth it to splurge for the best.

Regarding the cut...it's a crap-shoot. It looked beautiful. Every recipe I see says to blast the roast at high heat then shut it down...but every time the deckle piece is over done.

Reverse sear or just low and slow is the way to do a rib roast. Set your Egg, grill, smoker, or oven to 190 ish and let it get to 120-125 and you're guaranteed a great roast.

VN Store

Back