The Grill and BBQ thread

I've been really curious about this orion. Charcoal on outside and top. Chips around edge on inside. Set and forget. Go by the manual for cook times. Anyone????

View attachment 180497
The Orions are great as are the Pit Barrel Cooker and the Barrel house cooker. I have apit barrel and love it. I got my dad an orion and he loves it. You can't go wrong with any of the 3. The Weber smokey mountaion is also awesome. I do a lot of smoking in a weber kettle with a slow and seer as well. All are good options. You can also build a barrel smoker if you are so inclined.

I just bought a camp chef pellet grill and am absolutely loving it. I've had a Big Green Egg for years and have just grown tired of the the charcoal, lighting and a temperature gauge that is about 50 degrees off. Yes, I know, some of that is easily fixable but the ease of the Camp Chef is amazing. So far I've cooked chicken and a flank steak on it and can't tell any difference in the taste from the egg. I'm smoking a turkey for Christmas so that will be the true test.

I think I'm going to sale my Large Big Green Egg if anyone is interested.

Reactions: volmanbill
Can’t go wrong w the Weber Smokey Mountain. I’m curious if anyone has tried the Pit Barrel cooker. Gets great reviews.

I've actually decided on this one. they are apparently quite popular, as Friday, the 14" was in stock and now it's not. It is cheaper than the pit barrell brand and includes more feature. And the entire top half lifts off without having to remove food, IF you need to add more fuel. They also have a new 18" size.

BHC.PNG

Grilled chicken and Waffles with Rome is Burning seasoning from Voodoo Chili, homemade Waffles a la my wife, Blueberry Ghost from Bravado Spice, Habanero Lime Seasoning from Olde Thompson, lettuce, celantro, and my own spicy mayo.

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_191507_222.jpg
    IMG_20181213_191507_222.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10
Just got an awesome pellet grill and I have no idea what I'm doing. Anybody got novice recipes for smoking anything?

Just got an awesome pellet grill and I have no idea what I'm doing. Anybody got novice recipes for smoking anything?

A butt is the most forgiving and inexpensive way to start. Slather with a little mustard, heavily dredge it in a BBQ rub of your liking. Slow and low 225-250 until internal of 160. Wrap in foil with a little apple juice, beer, or coffee. Unwrap around 185 and finish up that bark until the bone slides out easily, internal around 195-200. Rest it for a while, pull, and enjoy!

Last edited:
I've got a pork butt going in the Pit Barrel for our pre Christmas family gathering. I'm also trying my hand at some cold smoked cheese in the Weber Kettle using my A-Maze-N tube. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I've got a pork butt going in the Pit Barrel for our pre Christmas family gathering. I'm also trying my hand at some cold smoked cheese in the Weber Kettle using my A-Maze-N tube. We'll see how it goes.
Nice! Please post pics of the smoked cheese if it turns out like you want.

VN Store

Back