The Grill and BBQ thread

I was at my parents house for Thanksgiving so I didn't prepare Thanksgiving dinner this year. So I grilled some Carne Asada last night as a thank you on my dad's gasser. Pretty surprised at how it cooked.
IMG_20181123_182517.jpgIMG_20181123_135311.jpg

Here's a pic of a modified Mad Max turkey I cooked when I was in Lenoir City last weekend.

The turkey was brined using Emeril's recipe.
Once pulled from the brine and dried on the surface I used Mad Max's recipe.

Here's my turkey:
View attachment 177065

Personally, I would've liked a little more color on it but it was perfect.

I took the exact same approach with my turkey this year. Was excellent and definitely a crowd pleaser. Only fail was no pictures.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Maybe watch some youtube videos to see how they do it. I'd give it another cook or before sending it back unless you hated it that much...in that case, get rid of it.
I agree. I have heard that electric smokers can be finicky but are great when dialed in properly. Sorry, you had such a poor first experience.
Had the smoke issue once with my old Masterbuilt. One trick I learned is to make sure you have good air flow into the chip pan that sits above the heating element. Instead of pushing the pan all the way back in I would leave it pulled out just a crack and the smoke would be perfect after that. I tested it out a few times to be sure and every time I pushed the chip pan all the way back in it’s slot it struggled to make smoke, and when I left it slightly cracked it was perfect. Worth a shot for you to try.
I used a Char Broil big easy electric for a bit (not a great smoker) and had a similar problem getting it to smoke. The problem was a lack of air flow to the pellet box. There wasn't much of a way to fix it on that unit. Nash_Vol97s suggestion about cracking the chip pan may well work on your masterbuilt. I'm not sure about the temprature issue. You may just have a lemon. It happens. I know several people who have had that smoker and had good luck with it. I hope you get it corrected.

I appreciate everyone's input, and tried them all. I gave it a second chance and still had the same issue, so I took it back and swapped out for another, and had issues with it. the temp was fine but would not produce smoke at all. this seemed to be an issue with this model (MES 130B), so I youtubed several videos. one said to loosen the screw at the bottom and raise the heating element to get the wood chip pan closer to the heat. I tried that, but the issue is there is a bar that runs down the center of the "frame" that holds the pan, so I couldn't get closer to the heat. it may just be a design flaw on that particular model because the guy I work with has a different model and completely different setup and has no issues. hew even sends me videos of his smoking just to rub it in. Also tried your suggestion @Nash_Vol97 about leaving a crack for better airflow, and still no smoke. I ended up taking it back and just getting a refund.

what are the chances that I got 2 lemons in a row? everything I read says that Masterbuilt is the best, so I am not discouraging anyone to stay away from this brand, and the few people I know that have one swear by the Masterbuilt. I'm not giving up though, just going to go a different route. Currently Looking at a Char-Broil 725 Deluxe.

I appreciate everyone's input, and tried them all. I gave it a second chance and still had the same issue, so I took it back and swapped out for another, and had issues with it. the temp was fine but would not produce smoke at all. this seemed to be an issue with this model (MES 130B), so I youtubed several videos. one said to loosen the screw at the bottom and raise the heating element to get the wood chip pan closer to the heat. I tried that, but the issue is there is a bar that runs down the center of the "frame" that holds the pan, so I couldn't get closer to the heat. it may just be a design flaw on that particular model because the guy I work with has a different model and completely different setup and has no issues. hew even sends me videos of his smoking just to rub it in. Also tried your suggestion @Nash_Vol97 about leaving a crack for better airflow, and still no smoke. I ended up taking it back and just getting a refund.

what are the chances that I got 2 lemons in a row? everything I read says that Masterbuilt is the best, so I am not discouraging anyone to stay away from this brand, and the few people I know that have one swear by the Masterbuilt. I'm not giving up though, just going to go a different route. Currently Looking at a Char-Broil 725 Deluxe.

Sorry to hear you still had trouble. When I got mine I had similar problems and like you said, it seemed to have lots of reviews of people having the smoke issue problem. I think most have the issue but just try to figure out what works with your specific unit to fix it. For me it was leaving the drawer cracked and for others it’s moving the element, etc.

Either way, glad you’re not giving up completely. I’ve also heard good things about Char-broil so I hope it works out for you! Smoke on!

That looks like a newer version of one amazingribs is pretty high on. Hopefully you will have better luck with it. This kind of thing is why I end up sticking with charcoal. Less to go wrong.

I still haven't cooked a TT. I checked at Costco, but they didn't have any. I wonder where in Knoxville carries them.

I did, however, get a four pack of prime pinwheel-tied ribeye cap steaks for this weekend.

Trader Joe's and Aldi has had TT every time I have been in there.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
I need some help. Looking for a gift box of hot sauces for my nephew. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

How hot? And, ballpark, how much do you want to spend? There are a bunch of mixed brand gift sets on the online hot sauce retailer sites. If you want to keep it sane, I really like the brand Blair's.

Reactions: Orange Blazer
I've been researching smokers. Gonna get one soon. I've pretty much decided against electric. Was going that route at first, but read lots of complaints about them burning out or blowing circuits.

Right now a toss up between charcoal or gas. Any experiences. Budget minded also. nothing over $300 preferably.

I've been researching smokers. Gonna get one soon. I've pretty much decided against electric. Was going that route at first, but read lots of complaints about them burning out or blowing circuits.

Right now a toss up between charcoal or gas. Any experiences. Budget minded also. nothing over $300 preferably.
Oklahoma Joe is the brand this novice started with. Got it for $260 at Walmart. Happy so far. They have the firebox/propane combo if you want to split the difference.

Oklahoma Joe is the brand this novice started with. Got it for $260 at Walmart. Happy so far. They have the firebox/propane combo if you want to split the difference.

I think my brother has the combo one from Okie Joe. He did a great turkey in it.

Reactions: butchna
I've been really curious about this orion. Charcoal on outside and top. Chips around edge on inside. Set and forget. Go by the manual for cook times. Anyone????

Capture3.PNG

Can’t go wrong w the Weber Smokey Mountain. I’m curious if anyone has tried the Pit Barrel cooker. Gets great reviews.
I'm seriously considering one of those barrel smokers if I can find the right price point. great reviews. No constant tending.

VN Store

Back