The Grill and BBQ thread

Nice bark for sure... looking good.

Got 3 rack of ribs on the smoker... 3-2-1 method. Closing in on 3 hrs now and they get wrapped for 1.5-2 hrs... will decide when I sneak a peek later.

Decided to do my drive and sidewalk edging today with the new Black and Decker edger.... works great, but man its hot out there and all the raking and lifting sod it wearing my azz out. Taking a nice break and then back to it.

Nice bark for sure... looking good.

Got 3 rack of ribs on the smoker... 3-2-1 method. Closing in on 3 hrs now and they get wrapped for 1.5-2 hrs... will decide when I sneak a peek later.

Decided to do my drive and sidewalk edging today with the new Black and Decker edger.... works great, but man its hot out there and all the raking and lifting sod it wearing my azz out. Taking a nice break and then back to it.

Let me know how that works. I usually just smoke ribs for 4 hours then go by the crack test. Pick them up at one end with tongs and if the bark cracks, they are done. Then I'll paint on a thin coat of sauce for about 20 minutes.

Good luck on the yard work. I'm avoiding doing mine.

Let me know how that works. I usually just smoke ribs for 4 hours then go by the crack test. Pick them up at one end with tongs and if the bark cracks, they are done. Then I'll paint on a thin coat of sauce for about 20 minutes.

Good luck on the yard work. I'm avoiding doing mine.

3-2-1 for ribs is a great method...Car Wash Mike's recipe explains it:

Playing With Fire and Smoke: Baby Back Rib Class

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Does anyone know why my boston butts are always super juicy on the smoker and when I take them off and wrap them to let them rest they are still super moist and full of juice but when I actually pull it and it sits in a serving pan for a few mins it seems dry? I just don’t know how it can be so juicy when it’s being pulled and dry out that quickly. Any suggestions on how to fix it? The only thing I’ve done in the past to fix it is add apple juice to the pan when it gets dry, but I feel like it takes away from the flavor. Any help is appreciated!

Does anyone know why my boston butts are always super juicy on the smoker and when I take them off and wrap them to let them rest they are still super moist and full of juice but when I actually pull it and it sits in a serving pan for a few mins it seems dry? I just don’t know how it can be so juicy when it’s being pulled and dry out that quickly. Any suggestions on how to fix it? The only thing I’ve done in the past to fix it is add apple juice to the pan when it gets dry, but I feel like it takes away from the flavor. Any help is appreciated!

I think it has to do with the collagen on the pork. When you pull or chop it that collagen cools and solidifies. Any residual water will also evaporate leading to more drying.

The only thing you can really do is add moisture...juice, cola, vinegar sauce, etc.

I think it has to do with the collagen on the pork. When you pull or chop it that collagen cools and solidifies. Any residual water will also evaporate leading to more drying.

The only thing you can really do is add moisture...juice, cola, vinegar sauce, etc.
If you don't already...reicorpotate the juices back into the pork after pulling. If not, like Boca said, add liquid (apple juice also works wonders).

Thanks guys! I’ll continue to tweak it and add apple juice after. I just wasn’t sure if there was another way to do it that didn’t cut down on the flavor of the pork

Thanks guys! I’ll continue to tweak it and add apple juice after. I just wasn’t sure if there was another way to do it that didn’t cut down on the flavor of the pork

I've added apple juice to help keep it moist, but usually save juice from when I remove them from the tin foil.

Have you looked at the Grilla Silverbac?

This seems to be a new product. I can't find anything that speaks to it's construction. So we'll have to leave that be for now.

From what I can gather, Grilla is peddling a Traeger clone. Traeger is pretty much the godfather of pellet grills. They were the only game in town for a minute. But, others have passed them up. RecTec, Green Mountain and MAK seem to be the best pellet grills going at the moment.

It's hard to speak to construction without any trusted reviews, and I can't find any. But, the temp controller on the Grilla seems primative. Based on that alone, I would pass. If you have the money, buy a trusted brand.

If you don't have the cash for a pellet cooker...

The Weber Smokey Mountain, Pit Barrel Cooker, or a good ole fashion Weber kettle grill will make fantastic Q.

If you want something that is "set and forget", go with the Pit Barrel. If you need the best pure smoker, it's the Smokey Mountain. If you need a grill and smoker, nothing is more versatile than a Weber 22 inch kettle (the one with the ash pot on the bottom).

YMMV

Last edited:
Are you using a thermometer?

VN Store

Back