The Grill and BBQ thread

Ehhh honestly this is the first time that I've cooked boston butt, I'm gonna see what we do tomorrow and I'll let you know lol.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you. If you don't have one I suggest getting a digital thermometer it helps take some of the guess work out.

Lowes has a few made by Taylor they work really well and they are not very expensive. I usually take and lay it on the grate when I first start and watch to make sure my actual cooking surface temp is where I want it. It has a big display on it so you can watch it to keep your temp constant. Sometimes your temp of your smoker/pit/grill will read one thing but your cooking surface temp might be different. I might be rambling but I really enjoy cooking Que!

Last edited:
deck.jpg

Here is my grill and smoker on the deck.

pulledpork.jpg

My favorite, boston butt. Smoked overnight, bone pulls right out, meat clever makes easy work of the pork for sammiches:)

Making a homemade pizza and putting it on the pizza stone on the grill tonight..

Do you inject or rub only?

I don't think my boy Grizz is going to be injecting anything into a butt (not that there's anything wrong with that). But I bet he's going to rub the sh!t out of it.
:)

Ehhh honestly this is the first time that I've cooked boston butt, I'm gonna see what we do tomorrow and I'll let you know lol.

How are you cooking it? I smoke mine overnight, man it just falls apart when I pull it from the smoker.

I use an electric smokehouse. So easy to keep at a constant temp for the long smoking hours.

How did it go today? Hope all went well.

How are you cooking it? I smoke mine overnight, man it just falls apart when I pull it from the smoker.

I use an electric smokehouse. So easy to keep at a constant temp for the long smoking hours.

How did it go today? Hope all went well.

Oh man, we started cooking yesterday about 10am. Uncle bill had his gas smoker over here, we put the butts and leg quarters on it. He put hickory chips in the bottom. We cooked a whole log of bolona on the other grill, smothered it in hot sauce, put it on saltine crackers mmmmm damn good!! Before we put it in the smoker we salted the meat down and put Cajun spices and a couple other rubs on the meat to give it a kick!! Every so often uncle bill would squirt his home made vinegar based sauce on the meat. His wife made some here in my kitchen. White distilled vinegar, beer, cyan pepper and I can't remember the last ingredient but it's pretty good!!

that's some nice work you posted earlier, USAF

Thanks, I am gonna give a brisket another go with an overnighter. Will post some pics for sure

Oh man, we started cooking yesterday about 10am. Uncle bill had his gas smoker over here, we put the butts and leg quarters on it. He put hickory chips in the bottom. We cooked a whole log of bolona on the other grill, smothered it in hot sauce, put it on saltine crackers mmmmm damn good!! Before we put it in the smoker we salted the meat down and put Cajun spices and a couple other rubs on the meat to give it a kick!! Every so often uncle bill would squirt his home made vinegar based sauce on the meat. His wife made some here in my kitchen. White distilled vinegar, beer, cyan pepper and I can't remember the last ingredient but it's pretty good!!

Got any pics? Must take pics of it.

Vineger base is always great for pulled pork. I love to make my own. I never write the recipe so its always a mix and mash version of whats on hand.

Fun to get the kids involved that way.

Thanks, I am gonna give a brisket another go with an overnighter. Will post some pics for sure

Got any pics? Must take pics of it.

Vineger base is always great for pulled pork. I love to make my own. I never write the recipe so its always a mix and mash version of whats on hand.

Fun to get the kids involved that way.

Yeah I should took some pics but I honestly don't know how to up load them to VN from my phone. And I don't have a computer or a digital camera so I'm SOL lol

Yeah I should took some pics but I honestly don't know how to up load them to VN from my phone. And I don't have a computer or a digital camera so I'm SOL lol

Dang Grizz! You're more electronically challenged than I am! I didn't think that was possible. Do you have a Facebook page? I don't.

Dang Grizz! You're more electronically challenged than I am! I didn't think that was possible. Do you have a Facebook page? I don't.

Hell naw I don't mess with that crap. Funny thing is my old man has a facebook and I don't lol.

Flat iron steak from Kroger. Not flank, but flat iron. Butcher told me it was as tender as their expensive, fresh cuts. It was not expensive, so I doubted it. That was 2 years ago and we don't get another cut. I marinade in dale's or lea and perrins, cavenders and lawry's. Grill to medium, then slice it up thinly with an electric knife. You can cut it with a fork and it's fantastic. It has great marbling, but no wasted fat on the edges.

Sounds good. I tell you something I do with bologna that you might like. If you take a whole stick of bologna and get you a small piece of pvc pipe and stick it in the middle of the end and push it through from one end to the other. It will push a hole through it . Take and fill 3/4 of it with cheese and hot sauce and grill it and it is fire. Use some of the bologna from the whole and plug each end.

Last edited:
Flat iron steak from Kroger. Not flank, but flat iron. Butcher told me it was as tender as their expensive, fresh cuts. It was not expensive, so I doubted it. That was 2 years ago and we don't get another cut. I marinade in dale's or lea and perrins, cavenders and lawry's. Grill to medium, then slice it up thinly with an electric knife. You can cut it with a fork and it's fantastic. It has great marbling, but no wasted fat on the edges.

I do flat irons alot too. Must cook it medium, any longer and it would get tough.

Like you said, slice it thin and you're good to go.

I use the Chargriller with the SFB as well and love it. I had to do a couple mods to keep the entire chamber temp steady, but they were well worth it. Can't beat the taste of real wood cooking and I enjoy doting over the process. It can be some work, though.

I use the Chargriller with the SFB as well and love it. I had to do a couple mods to keep the entire chamber temp steady, but they were well worth it. Can't beat the taste of real wood cooking and I enjoy doting over the process. It can be some work, though.
What mods did you do? I have one don't use it much, but when I did it was hard keeping it constant. I built the big one on the trailer and put a wood furnace on the end with the dampening system still intact, with it and the stacks I can control the heat very well.

VN Store

Back