The Grill and BBQ thread

I'm smoking my first Turkey this year. I'm going to brine it for a couple of days first and use applewood pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm smoking my first Turkey this year. I'm going to brine it for a couple of days first and use applewood pellets. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Get a fresh Turkey. All the grocery stores sell them.
If you get a Butterball or similar that is already injected you'll just be adding salt to salt.
I have been using a dry brine for years. Less mess and room.

Get a fresh Turkey. All the grocery stores sell them.
If you get a Butterball or similar that is already injected you'll just be adding salt to salt.
I have been using a dry brine for years. Less mess and room.

Mad Max is great, but it's pretty involved. Keys I've found over the years:
- brine at least overnight, and this is non-negotiable
- butter and rub before cooking, and definitely get some underneath the skin, as far as you can reach
- ice bags on the breasts for 15 minutes or so before cooking, keeps them from getting overdone
- don't overdo the smoke
- 325 till the breasts are 160 or so
- watch the breasts and tent with foil if needed to keep them from getting too brown

Mad Max is great, but it's pretty involved. Keys I've found over the years:
- brine at least overnight, and this is non-negotiable
- butter and rub before cooking, and definitely get some underneath the skin, as far as you can reach
- ice bags on the breasts for 15 minutes or so before cooking, keeps them from getting overdone
- don't overdo the smoke
- 325 till the breasts are 160 or so
- watch the breasts and tent with foil if needed to keep them from getting too brown
Agreed with all this. To add:
-if you aren't after the whole turkey picture, spatchcock the bird. It will cook more even and get a better smoke flavor.
-foil wrap the wings and ends of drumsticks for the first hour. They can get overdone easy if not.
-injecting melted butter into the breast is always good on fresh turkeys
-pre heat water into a pan to put in the smoker. Keeps things moist
-pat dry the skin after pulling out of brine with paper towels. Apply a bit more salt to skin. I'm after more crispy skin

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I'm gonna Rotisserie mine this year.

In the past I've always done this.

Dry brine over night, shove several pats of butter up under the skin and rub with Simon and Garfunkel rub.
Simon & Garfunkel Spice Rub For Poultry Recipe

Smoke with apple wood at 250 until breast is 150 Then run the heat up to about 350 to crisp the skin. Remove when the breast is at 160 then tent with foil and let rest for about 15 - 20 minutes.

VN Store

Back