The Grill and BBQ thread

How do you cook the short ribs? My father and I split the cost of a butchered cow this spring and neither of us have dealt with beef short ribs before. I've found some recipes for braised short ribs, but not sure I want to try that.
I’ve only done them once, I have the kamado so I set my temp about 250 degrees. Rub the ribs down with Worcestershire sauce and the apply a brisket rub I found called pit boss (you could also use just salt and pepper) let them cook for about 6-7 hours. Wrap let rest for an hour

Reactions: clarksvol00
How do you cook the short ribs? My father and I split the cost of a butchered cow this spring and neither of us have dealt with beef short ribs before. I've found some recipes for braised short ribs, but not sure I want to try that.

The braised short ribs using g red wine and slow cooking will be better than anything you cook on the komodo. It's a classic dish.
Jmo

Short ribs in the instant pot are also killer. When I make my own hamburger grind I always include some boneless short ribs.

You liking your 560? Some of the more recent reviews has my intrest in them up.
@Boca Vol I’m also curious as to how you like the 560. My son just bought a townhouse and I’m considering this as a housewarming gift. Pros? Cons?

I also noticed they’ve introduced a new model, the 1050. I might just sell my gas grill if I can get easy charcoal quickly.

Reactions: volmanbill
Think brisket like. I’ve done them twice cooked on the Traeger and they went over 12 hrs @175-225F for two full racks each time. I didn’t get crazy on the dry rub either. Mostly salt, pepper , and garlic powder. I did crutch them at the end but just out of habit. God they were good. Juicy and flavorful probably the best smoked meat I’ve done on my Traeger.

Reactions: RavinDave
Last time I cooked them in my Traegar. Mostly sea salt, cracked black pepper, and garlic powder. Maybe some corriender or oregano for some more flavor.

51F0FB63-E505-4BB5-9E06-EF992218789F.jpeg3D38BD17-12C1-4AAB-A5AD-2FF1D2BA3FFC.jpegCE338FB8-C621-483D-890C-8B781F3D3D8C.jpegA3AF2C4F-6FAD-40B3-A4D5-AF62C4590114.jpeg

Think brisket like. I’ve done them twice cooked on the Traeger and they went over 12 hrs @175-225F for two full racks each time. I didn’t get crazy on the dry rub either. Mostly salt, pepper , and garlic powder. I did crutch them at the end but just out of habit. God they were good. Juicy and flavorful probably the best smoked meat I’ve done on my Traeger.

Sounds good. How do you like the Traeger? I recently debated on a green egg and a pellet smoker for a month and went with the egg because it could cook at higher temps. I'm still not sure I made the right decision, but I'd be second-guessing either way.

Sounds good. How do you like the Traeger? I recently debated on a green egg and a pellet smoker for a month and went with the egg because it could cook at higher temps. I'm still not sure I made the right decision, but I'd be second-guessing either way.
Pellet smoker is the best cooking tool I’ve ever bought. I added on some remote monitor temp sensors and that’s about it. A full packer brisket is a 20+ hour endeavor for me. Easy peasy with the pellet smoker. Buy Meathead Goldwyn’s grilling science book to get you up the curve. I found out about him here in this forum. He is my Buddha

edit: I’m fortunate that I have an outdoor living area with a built in grill and could buy a dedicated smoker. Green egg is a great tool. You can do everything I’ve brought up on it.

Check that. I didn’t crutch the ribs. Just low and slooooooooooowwww. The egg is a great tool you did fine. I already had a dedicated grill so I bought the pellet smoker. Makes smoking easy. Buy Meathead’s book. 👍

@Boca Vol I’m also curious as to how you like the 560. My son just bought a townhouse and I’m considering this as a housewarming gift. Pros? Cons?

I also noticed they’ve introduced a new model, the 1050. I might just sell my gas grill if I can get easy charcoal quickly.

I love it. I get to use lump charcoal and digitally control the temp! It gets up to temp really fast. It does burn quite a bit of lump because you are putting it in a small chamber, so even after you snuff it out that chamber stays warm...so don't fill it up all the way for every cook (such as burgers or dogs, etc...that cook pretty quickly).

Sat. night I made burgers. I put them on the middle rack at 225 for 10-15 mins. Pulled them, moved the rack out of the way and turned it up to 500. It went from 225 to 500 in about 2-3 mins. Tossed the burgers back on for a quick sear and they were perfect.

The 540 isn't big but plenty big for a family of 4. So far, it's a keeper!

I love it. I get to use lump charcoal and digitally control the temp! It gets up to temp really fast. It does burn quite a bit of lump because you are putting it in a small chamber, so even after you snuff it out that chamber stays warm...so don't fill it up all the way for every cook (such as burgers or dogs, etc...that cook pretty quickly).

Sat. night I made burgers. I put them on the middle rack at 225 for 10-15 mins. Pulled them, moved the rack out of the way and turned it up to 500. It went from 225 to 500 in about 2-3 mins. Tossed the burgers back on for a quick sear and they were perfect.

The 540 isn't big but plenty big for a family of 4. So far, it's a keeper!
Thanks for the update. It sounds like it solves the hassles of charcoal vs gas, like startup. To me, that would be worth the price of admission. Throw in a digital thermostat and the ability to smoke and I’m sold.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Thanks for the update. It sounds like it solves the hassles of charcoal vs gas, like startup. To me, that would be worth the price of admission. Throw in a digital thermostat and the ability to smoke and I’m sold.

Use something like this to start it and you can use it within 5 minutes.

kamado-joe-charcoal-starter-lighters-kj-fs-64_1000.jpg

That’s interesting. What’d you stuff it with?
Spinach, Parm, and garlic. I've seen plenty of other stuff used in them though. You usually see them made with butterfly cut flank steaks. I like to use a marinated skirt steak because they are thin enough that you don't have to butterfly them. That and they take marinade/smoke well.

Reactions: Smokeytom

VN Store

Back