The Grill and BBQ thread

Had a plan to smoke 3 different suppliers version of St. Louis style ribs (Costco, Snake River, and local Farm to Market), but woke up to snow covering everything. So, will wait it out and try tomorrow.

Going to make some pork belly burnt ends today or tomorrow.

Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends Recipe | ThermoWorks
200.gif

I know there is a pepper thread, but this one gets more traffic...

My nurse brought me a bag of really good-looking ghost peppers, and I'd like to do something with them. Have any of you had luck taming them into some sort of manageable, simple hot sauce? Any use smoking a couple of them, then drying them? Other ideas?

I've only experimented with dried ones in the past, and everything I've done has yielded virtually inedible results due to the extreme spiciness. I can tell there is a great, unique pepper flavor in there, though, just wanting to be tapped

I'm a fan and do this quite a bit. Ghosts can be pretty hot for most people so you do need to use sparringly. Smoking them first is a great idea. Cooking them will temper the heat. Also, remove as much of the membrane as you can as that's where a lot of the heat is. I'd also add other ingredients like fruit, beer etc as that can offset the heat. I made a cranberry habenero hot sauce with an orange wheat beer a few years ago that would be great with ghosts for Thanksgiving.

I like to to dehydrate and turn them into a powder with garlic, onion, herbs etc and mix 50/50 with salt. If that's too hot dehydrate a bunch of sweet peppers too that keeps then pepper flavor but tones down the heat. You can use it as a finishing salt or to cook with. There are tons of ideas on line.

I'm a fan and do this quite a bit. Ghosts can be pretty hot for most people so you do need to use sparringly. Smoking them first is a great idea. Cooking them will temper the heat. Also, remove as much of the membrane as you can as that's where a lot of the heat is. I'd also add other ingredients like fruit, beer etc as that can offset the heat. I made a cranberry habenero hot sauce with an orange wheat beer a few years ago that would be great with ghosts for Thanksgiving.

I like to to dehydrate and turn them into a powder with garlic, onion, herbs etc and mix 50/50 with salt. If that's too hot dehydrate a bunch of sweet peppers too that keeps then pepper flavor but tones down the heat. You can use it as a finishing salt or to cook with. There are tons of ideas on line.
Great info, thanks!

I like the color of those ribs JC. Rib platter for Christmas!

Today... smoked 2 tri-tips on the RecTec. 2 hrs at 240F and then turned it up to 400F for 20 mins for a sear. Excellent. Weather is holding up well here, so I will continue to fire that thing off until the snow arrives for good.

I like the color of those ribs JC. Rib platter for Christmas!

Today... smoked 2 tri-tips on the RecTec. 2 hrs at 240F and then turned it up to 400F for 20 mins for a sear. Excellent. Weather is holding up well here, so I will continue to fire that thing off until the snow arrives for good.

They were yummy. I love me a Tri tip and that sounds like a good way to do it. It's just now perfect smoking weather here in the Tri Cities. Though, honestly I run the grill and smoker year round. If it's raining I just pull it under the carport, same for snow. The Thanksgiving Turkey always gets done in the Pit Barrel. High wind is about the only thing that stops me.

Was supposed to rain today... but it is a beautiful day here in the Flathead Valley. So, today its a mess of chicken hitting the RecTec.
Legs, wings, thighs, breasts... in brine now and soon to be seasoned and smoked.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Gonna smoke a salmon. It is a two day process for me. I make a dry brine of kosher salt and brown sugar. I will add a tiny bit of garlic powder and a decent amount of dill to this one.
I bought a 1.2 lbs wild caught sockeye from alaska which was frozen. I prefer frozen. I also prefer Atlantic salmon from the atlantic ocean, but that is getting harder to find. It has more oil, and I prefer the finished product over the somewhat skinny sockeye. I cut off a small piece of tail. DW will eat it.
The first picture is the salmon in the foil. The 2nd is the 1/2 of the cure mix on saran wrap with alum foil underneath
The 3rd picture is the rest of the cure mix on top of the salmon and the wrap folded around the fish. I wrap it with the foil, and put it in the fridge for about 24 hours, turning it over after about 12 hours.
I'll smoke tomorrow and post pictures. hopefully start eating Saturday.
DSC00585.JPGDSC00587.JPGDSC00588.JPG

Gonna smoke a salmon. It is a two day process for me. I make a dry brine of kosher salt and brown sugar. I will add a tiny bit of garlic powder and a decent amount of dill to this one.
I bought a 1.2 lbs wild caught sockeye from alaska which was frozen. I prefer frozen. I also prefer Atlantic salmon from the atlantic ocean, but that is getting harder to find. It has more oil, and I prefer the finished product over the somewhat skinny sockeye. I cut off a small piece of tail. DW will eat it.
The first picture is the salmon in the foil. The 2nd is the 1/2 of the cure mix on saran wrap with alum foil underneath
The 3rd picture is the rest of the cure mix on top of the salmon and the wrap folded around the fish. I wrap it with the foil, and put it in the fridge for about 24 hours, turning it over after about 12 hours.
I'll smoke tomorrow and post pictures. hopefully start eating Saturday.
View attachment 174327View attachment 174328View attachment 174329

Day 2

pictures are the salmon after 24 hours. but before rinsing. Rinse, rinse, rinse.
Let the fan blow on the fish for about 1.5 hours.
The fish on the smoker at around 170. I prefer 160-175. Up to 180 with a Salmon from Norway.
The finished smoked salmon. Excellent taste. I'll wrap almost all of it until tomorrow, and make a cream spread of fresh dill and chives out of the garden with lemon and cream cheese. Sometimes add a tiny bit horseradish and a small amount of greek yogurt.DSC00589.JPGDSC00590.JPGDSC00591.JPGDSC00595.JPG

I like your process. I will give it a go, as I have 20 lbs of AK King salmon in the freezer and I need to get to it.

Put a butt on the smoker this morning. I made my home-made macceroni salad and my version of "baked" beans last night. I love cooking on my offset smoker.

I've never thought to put pumpkin seeds on the grill...I always do them in the oven. I bet that's fantastic. 300ish indirect?

Reactions: cali_vol

VN Store

Back