The great Dale Ellis

It was a state law. The drinking age was 18 in 1978 and earlier. Then it was raised to 19 in the spring of 1979. Then the federal government threatened to take away funds from the states that did not raise it to 21 in 1984.
That doesn’t jive with me being legal as an 18 year old in 1980? I know when I turned 18 and I know when I first bought beer at the store 3 weeks later

That doesn’t jive with me being legal as an 18 year old in 1980? I know when I turned 18 and I know when I first bought beer at the store 3 weeks later

Per my friend Google, we went from 18 to 19 in 1979; and, then 19 to 21 in 1984.

Then you bought your beer in Georgia. They raised it to 19 in 1980. TN’s drinking age was raised from 18 to 19 in the first half of 1979. I’m 100% certain.

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
Is that the NIT where we started with a road game in Cookeville against a really good TTU team. After trailing most of game, one of our guards hit a jumper to win it....(Jackson, Johnson, Carter, can't remember?) Too much Dickel
Jackson graduated with Grunfeld in 77. Carter was suspended during 1981 season and never returned. Had to be Brooks or someone else

It could have been Anthony Richardson. He made the all-tournament team.

Nah, it was Brooks from near the top of the key. He was slicky smooth and appeared to show no nerves. We got the ball to our best scorer with the game on the line. I see where the final was 65-62. Maybe Tech missed a tie attempt at end, and fouled or such. The Vols didn't look too interested early, but Tech let us hang around.

The following game was also a barn burner. That team had steady guard play in that good ole Don Devoe controlling way of things.

Dale Ellis had a great career in college & pros. He shouldn’t have any regrets.

Ha Ha! I saw another NIT game in late 80's where we played MTSU in Murfreesboro.

Poor ole Doug couldn't even get a rebound in the pre-game warmup shooting.

We lost. :(
I was at that game. Home cooking a it's finest. The next week saw MTSU beat Georgia at MC.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Probably Seth McDonald.

True story: I was a senior when Seth was a junior. I was a 6'2" point guard and Seth was a 6'9", 6"10 center. We were playing a 1-3-1 zone (Doug Ashworth was our head coach, yes that Doug Ashworth). I blocked Seth's shot, actually slapped up into the stands. My teammate was so fired up, when came to chest bump me, he kicked me in the nads and I had to leave the game for a few minutes.

VN Store

Back