The great Dale Ellis

He was a great player college player and with the addition of the 3 point line he would have been even been a better college player as I really don't follow the NBA.

Ellis would have been an elite scorer with the college three point line.
I had the privilege of playing golf with Dale a number of years ago in a golf tournament to raise $$ for High School football program. He was a pleasure to be with and was a pretty good golfer. He seemed to be a "regular" guy and one would never know he was one of the best players to ver play in the NBA.

Dale Ellis was the man when I was in school. 6'-7" and smooth as silk, but he played down low almost his entire college career. Maybe the 3 point line would have changed his game. The guy from that era that would have really increased his production with the 3 point line was Michael Brooks. He scored 34 against Kentucky I believe from way out.

It worked out pretty well for him in his era. Perhaps his overall game wouldn’t have been as impressive had he not put in so much work in the paint. Defenders had to respect his inside threat in addition to his 3PL production. He was able to defend a lot of positions.

Reactions: esarmstrong
Maybe he should look at it with pride that was the key player in creating this new era.

If the 3 point line was around during the 82/83 season, that Tennessee team would have been a different kind of beast.

It was mid winter in 1980. Late at night and I was in an afterhours bar. Two big tall guys stood out. I got to meet them. The smaller guy was a second-year player for the Vols. He was wearing cowboy boots and a big Stetson hat. His friend was a bit bigger. So it was Dale Ellis with Kevin McHale who was at the time everybody's All-Amereican and they had finished their scheduled game a couple hours earlier. I shook hands with Kevin McHale and his hand was bigger than a first baseman's mitt! And that's what I remember

after thinking about it, I had to look it up! The Vol's beat Minnesota 71-64 at Stokley on December 17, 1979. So it was not 1980. It Was Dec. 17, 1979! Adn Dale Ellis was a Freshman! How time flies!

Last edited:
Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
And I'd put Houston at #4. So, who would be the fifth starter? King, Ellis, Grunfeld, Houston, and ...............?

Limiting it to the last 50 years of players, I would take Reggie Johnson as my 5th man.

Depending on criteria, you could make a case for Tobias Harris or Tony White.

It was mid winter in 1980. Late at night and I was in an afterhours bar. Two big tall guys stood out. I got to meet them. The smaller guy was a second-year player for the Vols. He was wearing cowboy boots and a big Stetson hat. His friend was a bit bigger. So it was Dale Ellis with Kevin McHale who was at the time everybody's All-Amereican and they had finished their scheduled game a couple hours earlier. I shook hands with Kevin McHale and his hand was bigger than a first baseman's mitt! And that's what I remember

after thinking about it, I had to look it up! The Vol's beat Minnesota 71-64 at Stokley on December 17, 1979. So it was not 1980. It Was Dec. 17, 1979! Adn Dale Ellis was a Freshman! How time flies!

How many after hours pitchers of beer did you have? Don’t you mean Kevin NASH?

Ehh I’d put Alan Houston at #3

As a college player I would go with Grunfeld over Houston. As a Knick player I’d go with Houston. Grunfeld didn’t play with a 3PL. Darden, Bertelkamp, Mike Jackson, and Rodney Woods would have made Grunfeld even more unstoppable by pulling defenses away from the paint. Grunfeld was great as a freshman before King joined him. The 11-6 Temple game was pretty much because of Ernie. The Owls had no answer.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
As a college player I would go with Grunfeld over Houston. As a Knick player I’d go with Houston. Grunfeld didn’t play with a 3PL. Darden, Bertelkamp, Mike Jackson, and Rodney Woods would have made Grunfeld even more unstoppable by pulling defenses away from the paint. Grunfeld was great as a freshman before King joined him. The 11-6 Temple game was pretty much because of Ernie. The Owls had no answer.
Grunfeld was equally great after King joined him. SEC poy in 1976

VN Store

Back