The Golf Thread

I’ve played my best 2 rounds of golf in the past 10 years since the outbreak. Thinking about going to Africa next time Ebola comes back to see if I can shoot under par.

Out of curiosity ... what'd you card ? I shot a 6 over 78 yesterday that should have been a 75 if I hadn't hit my tee shot OB on the opening hole and then lipped out a four footer for par on #3. I settled down and played pretty decent golf after that, all in all I was pleased after I got off the first tee.

Out of curiosity ... what'd you card ? I shot a 6 over 78 yesterday that should have been a 75 if I hadn't hit my tee shot OB on the opening hole and then lipped out a four footer for par on #3. I settled down and played pretty decent golf after that, all in all I was pleased after I got off the first tee.
74 and then 73 last Friday. On Friday I really should’ve been a shot or two lower. I was even standing on the 16th green with a 40 foot eagle putt. Misread it completely and hit a bad 1st putt and then a loose approach into 18. Can’t complain though. I’ve spent the last year playing infrequently and struggling to break 80.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
It must be nice to only miss one 4 footer in a round. When I was younger and playing often, I would shoot 73 and miss as many as a half dozen inside 6 feet. I would shoot 75 and 3 putt 4 times, stuff like that. I would hit 14 greens in reg , never have a one putt, and shoot 77. I'm not sure if I ever played a round without a 3 putt. Very frustrating way to play.

It must be nice to only miss one 4 footer in a round. When I was younger and playing often, I would shoot 73 and miss as many as a half dozen inside 6 feet. I would shoot 75 and 3 putt 4 times, stuff like that. I would hit 14 greens in reg , never have a one putt, and shoot 77. I'm not sure if I ever played a round without a 3 putt. Very frustrating way to play.
I wish it had been 4 feet. It was a 40 footer that I left about 10 feet away. The greens were tough because they rolled well, but it had rained a ton the night before and the speeds from one green to the next were crazy different. Putting downhill or from distance was basically a guess.

My putting has improved big time since I said screw all the big grips and searching for the perfect putter and just stuck a pistol grip on my old Ping Zing2 that I used in college and said let's ride. It's kind of liberating to go to a PGA Superstore and never feel compelled to set foot on their practice green.

Chipping and putting is my game. I am pissed when I miss a putt inside 8 ft.

74 and then 73 last Friday. On Friday I really should’ve been a shot or two lower. I was even standing on the 16th green with a 40 foot eagle putt. Misread it completely and hit a bad 1st putt and then a loose approach into 18. Can’t complain though. I’ve spent the last year playing infrequently and struggling to break 80.

That's good shootin' if you're on a solid course.

Chipping and putting is my game. I am pissed when I miss a putt inside 8 ft.
I think my worst putting round when I hit it really well was about 20 years ago at The Ridges , now Blackthorn, near Jonesborough Tennessee. I was around 50 at the time, and I hit 13 greens in regulation from the next to back tees. I think they had 4 sets of tees then. Of the missed 5 greens, 3 were due to hitting it straight but over the green, and 2 were hooked slightly to the left . Of the 5 I missed, the furthest from the flag was maybe 50 feet. I shot 84 with 45 putts, 9 three putts and 9 two putts. I never got up and down, and 2 putted the 5 greens I missed, and 2 putted 4 of the 13 I hit, and 3 putted the other 9.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I think my worst putting round when I hit it really well was about 20 years ago at The Ridges , now Blackthorn, near Jonesborough Tennessee. I was around 50 at the time, and I hit 13 greens in regulation from the next to back tees. I think they had 4 sets of tees then. Of the missed 5 greens, 3 were due to hitting it straight but over the green, and 2 were hooked slightly to the left . Of the 5 I missed, the furthest from the flag was maybe 50 feet. I shot 84 with 45 putts, 9 three putts and 9 two putts. I never got up and down, and 2 putted the 5 greens I missed, and 2 putted 4 of the 13 I hit, and 3 putted the other 9.
That’s when you’ve got to just throw the Putter in a lake and putt with a 2 iron.

Those are some pretty fast and tough greens, but that is a pretty woefully bad putting day. A lot of people around here like The Ridges, but I personally hate that layout.

Those are some pretty fast and tough greens, but that is a pretty woefully bad putting day. A lot of people around here like The Ridges, but I personally hate that layout.
They were extremely fast, and I was scared to death. Thinking back on it, I must have gotten up and down 2 of the 5 times. I had forgotten, but I am positive of 3 things. That I hit 13 greens, 3 putted 9 times, and shot 84. The only way to come up with 84 is if I got up and down 2 of the 5. Any way you look at it, it was really bad.

My putting has led me to hardly ever play any more. I go out and hit balls on the driving range, and chip a little. Practicing putting doesn't help me putt better, and it hurts my back. I have averaged about 9 holes a year for the last 10 or so. I played 9 holes in Florida earlier this year, and parred 7 of the first 8, and had a disaster on the 9th.

I honestly think that I may putt better by bellying it with the leading edge of a sand wedge on shorter putts.
Growing up, I had an assistant pro who got so bad that he stuck a regular grip on his putter, gripped it with a regular overlap grip and started using chipping fundamentals when he putted. It was insane how much better he got.

Growing up, I had an assistant pro who got so bad that he stuck a regular grip on his putter, gripped it with a regular overlap grip and started using chipping fundamentals when he putted. It was insane how much better he got.
I seem to be able to accelerate the putter better with the leading edge of a sand wedge, and I get a good end over end roll on it. Putting issues have kept me on the range, and off the golf course. I have to putt 10 or 12 times in the golf shop on a mat before I can make a 10 footer.

I found this an interesting read as I had not heard of Moe Norman.

The story of Moe Norman, golf’s troubled genius
My brother ran across Moe about 35-40 years ago , hitting balls on a driving range at a course in Florida where Moe wintered. He said that Moe had on dirty clothes, and didn't want to converse. He did watch him hit for a little while though. Said his ball striking was impressive. Moe wasn't terribly well known at that time by the general golfing public, but my brother had read an article about him in Sports Illustrated shortly before that.

Reactions: JOEY'S ALL VOL !!!
He's was a fascinating guy to watch. His swing is all over Youtube and worth the watch. I can't swing like he does, but his "Master Move" makes complete sense.

He was definitely an odd guy and would most assuredly be on the autism spectrum we have today. The guy would 4 putt on purpose to lose a tournament so he wouldn’t have to give a trophy acceptance speech.

He's was a fascinating guy to watch. His swing is all over Youtube and worth the watch. I can't swing like he does, but his "Master Move" makes complete sense.

The simple swing I always called it. I could never replicate it either even though that was the whole concept. Dude had it down though, closest thing to Gene Sarazan accuracy I've ever seen.

VN Store

Back