The Gardening Thread

My first time trying to do onions. Got the first batch in a bed on the west side of house. Will plant another row in garden when it gets tilled. See how it goes.

Got my old tire strawberry patch set up this weekend. Waiting on my plants to arivve. Saw the cat out the window out there apparently thinking this was some kind of new litter box hotel. There will be issues if I find uprooted strawberries plants down the road.
First time? Did you research depth to plant "onion sets"? Is that what you planted. If you like vidalia onions get Granex sets.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I honestly don’t know. I just took some bulbs from the food city and put them in the ground. They seem to be doing well though.
One thing to consider when planting onions (including garlic) and potatoes from grocery stores is that many of them have been treated with growth retardants, etc.

Even if you don't normally buy organic produce, you might want to buy organic for items you plan to plant directly. They're not necessarily bred for growth (rather than eating), but at least they haven't been treated to keep them from growing. (Or shouldn't have been)

One thing to consider when planting onions (including garlic) and potatoes from grocery stores is that many of them have been treated with growth retardants, etc.

Even if you don't normally buy organic produce, you might want to buy organic for items you plan to plant directly. They're not necessarily bred for growth (rather than eating), but at least they haven't been treated to keep them from growing. (Or shouldn't have been)
I had read that as well but It was late October and I couldn’t find any anywhere so I just rolled with it. Definitely will have some good ones come next fall

Reactions: VolNExile
If you ever want to venture into other varieties look up Keene Organics. They have a lot of organic options for garlic, shallots, and onions as well as other plants such as potatoes and asparagus. I bought 3 different varieties of garlic from Keene and all turned out amazing (Music, Red Chesnok, and Lors Italian). I also used their specialized garlic feed which I think worked very well since garlic is a very heavy feeder. The scapes on the 2 hard neck varieties were delicious as well. Used them in stir fry. When I grow garlic again I will definitely get more Lors and Music. May just stick with those two. The Lors turned out HUGE heads in my garden. Music did as well but that is known for that variety. The Chesnok was good, but not as well developed as the other 2.
I will definitely check them out. What area are you growing in? I’m just north of Chattanooga so it’s in the transition zone kind of

First time? Did you research depth to plant "onion sets"? Is that what you planted. If you like vidalia onions get Granex sets.
What I could find said to leave the tops exposed. So I broke up the soiI, cut in some garden soil, and pushed the bulbs in to the neck. just bought a bag of mixed bulbs. Red, White, Yellow, and sweet. I've seen a couple of fresh tops shoots starting, and it's only been a week, so maybe i did ok.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Technically, blueberries prefer a more acidic soil, but I've never got that specific with them. I just plant them in what I got, and never really have bad luck with them. Except for the one's I transplanted up to TN from GA. Guy trimming some trees out dropped one on them. They didn't like that.

True, acidic soil is desired. I tried doing the whole “adjust your soil pH to 5-5.5” but gave up because it’s just too long and tenuous to do. So I made a raised garden bed and placed a 50/50 blend of good topsoil and mushroom compost. The bushes have loved it over the last few years.

I now have raspberry bushes in there as well and I regret doing that lol. They just want to grow everywhere in there now. I gotta pluck starter shoots up every now and then around my blueberry bushes. Don’t get me wrong though as I enjoy the raspberries they produce.

Reactions: Tin Man
My first time trying to do onions. Got the first batch in a bed on the west side of house. Will plant another row in garden when it gets tilled. See how it goes.

Got my old tire strawberry patch set up this weekend. Waiting on my plants to arivve. Saw the cat out the window out there apparently thinking this was some kind of new litter box hotel. There will be issues if I find uprooted strawberries plants down the road.

May not be a cat soon 😂

IMG_2185.jpegIMG_2184.jpegIMG_2183.jpeg

So I just noticed these yellow spots with brown edges forming on my pepper plants. Anybody know what this could be? A Google search brings back way too much stuff that’s not this.

May not be a cat soon 😂
Cat getting a dose of Karma. The one I think was using strawberry planters as a poop box (which is ironic since there are acres of places to do business, and she goes straight to these in the middle of the yard) went way, way up a tree and acts like she can't get down. Been there since saturday. I guess karma gets both of us. I spent time and money trapping her and getting her fixed. Haven't had to tend the strawberry litter box as much this weekend if at all.

Reactions: zhangliao04
True, acidic soil is desired. I tried doing the whole “adjust your soil pH to 5-5.5” but gave up because it’s just too long and tenuous to do. So I made a raised garden bed and placed a 50/50 blend of good topsoil and mushroom compost. The bushes have loved it over the last few years.

I now have raspberry bushes in there as well and I regret doing that lol. They just want to grow everywhere in there now. I gotta pluck starter shoots up every now and then around my blueberry bushes. Don’t get me wrong though as I enjoy the raspberries they produce.
I never have bothered with all the soil tests. I just like gardening, not becoming a scientist.

A good mushroom commpost is like black magic. My house in GA was all red clay, even around the house. We did about 80% perennials over time, but in the first 3 years of establishing the flower beds, I'd till in mushroom compost each spring. AS we got the pernnials established, I quit tilling it in, and quit fertilizing. Those beds would still go nuts 10 years on.

There was a mushroom plant down John Sevier Hwy from my grandad. He had two tomato beds bordered with railroad ties. Each spring he would shovel them out and have a truck of mushroom soil delivered and fill them back up. He would only plant better boy and big boy. Those were the reddest tomatoes you'll see and tasted as good as heirloom.

View attachment 631767View attachment 631768View attachment 631769

So I just noticed these yellow spots with brown edges forming on my pepper plants. Anybody know what this could be? A Google search brings back way too much stuff that’s not this.

Not sure if you found this link, but it looks simialr. Seems odd this is happening while still in seed cups, and likely indoors. From the pics, it looks like they are very saturated. Maybe at this stage cut the water down?? And wipe leaves with neem oil ??

Reactions: zhangliao04
Cat getting a dose of Karma. The one I think was using strawberry planters as a poop box (which is ironic since there are acres of places to do business, and she goes straight to these in the middle of the yard) went way, way up a tree and acts like she can't get down. Been there since saturday. I guess karma gets both of us. I spent time and money trapping her and getting her fixed. Haven't had to tend the strawberry litter box as much this weekend if at all.
My first husband didn't always make a whole lot of sense, but one thing he did say that I have repeated to my anxious adult children is that he had never seen a cat skeleton in a tree. 🙀 And it's true!

My first husband didn't always make a whole lot of sense, but one thing he did say that I have repeated to my anxious adult children is that he had never seen a cat skeleton in a tree. 🙀 And it's true!
After 2 days, we may have a first. Surely this cat can't be that dumb. My son tried to coax her down and she went higher. THen worked her way back down to where she was, and stopped there. She is currently no less than 30 foot up. Told my son to get the .243 and we'd get her down.

It's all that extra fertilizer! ;-)
At the expense of having to adjust a couple plants everytime she covers up. But, I ain't no dummy. I use a trowel to scratch around and get it out. It's not a desirable result to smooth the soil out bare handed.

Reactions: VolNExile
After 2 days, we may have a first. Surely this cat can't be that dumb. My son tried to coax her down and she went higher. THen worked her way back down to where she was, and stopped there. She is currently no less than 30 foot up. Told my son to get the .243 and we'd get her down.
Maybe a garden hose instead, aimed above her rather than at her? You want her to be scared down, not up. Even moreso for the .243!

(Don't know if your hose will hit that high tho)

Maybe a garden hose instead, aimed above her rather than at her? You want her to be scared down, not up. Even moreso for the .243!

(Don't know if your hose will hit that high tho)
Pressure washer wouldnt even shoot that high. She's out of range of basically everything I wouldn't go to jail for trying.

Tree is in the woods with plenty of soft forest base. And cats always land on their feet. But, since this one doesn't get that climbing works both directions, If I were able to knock her out, she probably wouldn't land on her feet.

If she don't figure it out during the coming storms, we still got 3 more.

Pressure washer wouldnt even shoot that high. She's out of range of basically everything I wouldn't go to jail for trying.

Tree is in the woods with plenty of soft forest base. And cats always land on their feet. But, since this one doesn't get that climbing works both directions, If I were able to knock her out, she probably wouldn't land on her feet.

If she don't figure it out during the coming storms, we still got 3 more.
lol

"the coming storms" - the ultimate garden hose!

I never have bothered with all the soil tests. I just like gardening, not becoming a scientist.

A good mushroom commpost is like black magic. My house in GA was all red clay, even around the house. We did about 80% perennials over time, but in the first 3 years of establishing the flower beds, I'd till in mushroom compost each spring. AS we got the pernnials established, I quit tilling it in, and quit fertilizing. Those beds would still go nuts 10 years on.

There was a mushroom plant down John Sevier Hwy from my grandad. He had two tomato beds bordered with railroad ties. Each spring he would shovel them out and have a truck of mushroom soil delivered and fill them back up. He would only plant better boy and big boy. Those were the reddest tomatoes you'll see and tasted as good as heirloom.
When we lived in Knoxville I would get mushroom compost from the mushroom plant in Loudon. You can get fresh or more composted. They had several piles. I got a PU truck load, and put it in my beds. It was a never ending nightmare of nutsedge.. I hate nutsedge.

Those are my two favorite tomatoes also.

Mushroom “poop” is da shizzle.

Edit: I amended my garden soil with mushroom poop at two different residences. At my current home, I make my own compost and amend with it each spring.

VN Store

Back