The future of Smoky Grey uniforms

Tennessee needs to get back to their base colors. I wouldn't mind seeing these alternative uniforms burned and never to be seen again. And, Nike, so stupid..........

Reactions: 2 people
I find it hilarious that all the people that say scrap the gray are also the ones talking about tradition and not changing things.

They are too dense to realize that by those standards of tradition and never changing things we would be wearing gray or black with only hints of orange.

As for the topic at hand I say if we play at home the week of halloween then we should wear a black uni, grey number with an orange highlight around the numbers. Pants would be black with orange stripes and a flat black
helmet with a metallic orange T.

If we aren't at home for the week of halloween then we bust out an alternate one week just not Bama UF or UGA.

I'm all for an alternate but keep it o once a year and like I said just not for one of our traditional rivalry games and not for a bowl game. Since the media loves to try to claim Vandy as a rival then maybe we should keep the alternate or that game. I'm even ok with using a bye week for the alternate, pull the crap did OSU did against penn st and wear a light gray uni white numbers highlighted with orange pinstripe and a light gray helmet with a metallic orange T.

There's not a lot of information regarding early football uniforms, but I found this similar theme fairly often: "Uniforms were nearly nonexistent. Players simply donned clothes in coordinating dark colors, like black or navy."

The pictures are invariably B&W but a lot of uniforms appear to be some shade of gray. I'd guess in the days well before Nike etc that many teams bought basic suitable clothing and perhaps added some decoration; and that gray uniforms were something used out of necessity because orange and some other colors weren't commonly found - rather than some affinity for gray as a school color all across the country. Probably something like affordable cars beginning in basic black until paint evolution made colors a real option.

Gray as a necessity in older days rather than as a preferred color is hardly an endorsement of gray as a school color or uniform option.

The Evolution of Football Uniforms | Stitch Fix Men

I can handle alt uniforms a few times per year. I do prefer to see on our white jerseys the numerals outlined in black. Black I'd like to see in storm trooper reversed from white. The black jerseys during Halloween week at home is a good look.

There's not a lot of information regarding early football uniforms, but I found this similar theme fairly often: "Uniforms were nearly nonexistent. Players simply donned clothes in coordinating dark colors, like black or navy."

The pictures are invariably B&W but a lot of uniforms appear to be some shade of gray. I'd guess in the days well before Nike etc that many teams bought basic suitable clothing and perhaps added some decoration; and that gray uniforms were something used out of necessity because orange and some other colors weren't commonly found - rather than some affinity for gray as a school color all across the country. Probably something like affordable cars beginning in basic black until paint evolution made colors a real option.

Gray as a necessity in older days rather than as a preferred color is hardly an endorsement of gray as a school color or uniform option.

The Evolution of Football Uniforms | Stitch Fix Men

Yes, the general trend in early uniforms was to use neutral colors, such as gray, dark blue/black, or even tan, as the primary color, with official school colors as accents. Make no doubt about it, however. Orange and white have been Tennessee’s official colors from the outset of our football program, notwithstanding the fact that we did not don orange jerseys for the first time until the early 1920s.

Reactions: 1 person
My :twocents:
UT has a signature color, Orange that is found nowhere else in College football. Before Butch, there was one game (Halloween black) where that tradition was bypassed. Take a look back at the old color pictures from the 40's and 50s. You don't even have to guess that it's Tennessee on the field. The other teams? Who knows. Why mess with that? It's a gimmick and to me reminds me of other "champion of life" type gimmicks that I could do without.

Also, it's a stretch to say gray has always been an official UT color. It hasn't. Below is from a program in the 60s or 70s. Nobody was talking Gray then.

P.S. I wish UT and Bama would play again with their colors. Those games were cool. Black and White TV ruined that.

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3
  • UT_traditions.jpg
    UT_traditions.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Sports_Illustrated_42948_19671030-001-775.jpg
    Sports_Illustrated_42948_19671030-001-775.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
UT has a signature color, Orange that is found nowhere else in College football. Before Butch, there was one game (Halloween black) where that tradition was bypassed. Take a look back at the old color pictures from the 40's and 50s. You don't even have to guess that it's Tennessee on the field. The other teams? Who knows. Why mess with that? It's a gimmick and to me reminds me of other "champion of life" type gimmicks that I could do without.

Also, it's a stretch to say gray has always been an official UT color. It hasn't. Below is from a program in the 60s or 70s. Nobody was talking Gray then.

P.S. I wish UT and Bama would play again with their colors. Those games were cool. Black and White TV ruined that.

I agree; it's orange and white. The more recent addition of gray is revisionist history at it's finest thanks to Adidas and Nike, and their quest for more sales.

and in 2010 as well!

oct-30-2010-columbia-south-carolina-united-states-of-america-tennessee-djxb7r.jpg

I do like this look as well, and would really like to see the orange pants more often.

As soon as I saw the topic, my immediate thought was "The future of smoky grey uniforms...into the nearest smoky grey trash can!"

The UT colors are orange and white. Make grey uniforms for a team that has grey as a school color.

Reactions: 7 people
You guys are boring and stuck in the past. Recruits love the new jerseys and so do I. I hope we get some black Uni's this season. Where there's smoke grey there's fire. Go Vols

Reactions: 4 people
You guys are boring and stuck in the past. Recruits love the new jerseys and so do I. I hope we get some black Uni's this season. Where there's smoke grey there's fire. Go Vols

Green is nice. We could make that a school color too. (Blue Font)

White AND black are neutral colors most all teams use to offset their primary color, in our case, orange.

Pruitt's coming from a bama background. They are traditionalist in nature. My guess is that we go back to a pure traditional look for both home and away unis going forward[/QUOTE]

Yes. Gray uniforms should leave with Butch.

Reactions: 4 people

Why can't I like this post multiple times? Best post I have seen on the subject. Also love the use of visual aids

Guess I am stuck in the past, but the past is when we were good and at times very good. The present is what I am trying to forget.

As soon as I saw the topic, my immediate thought was "The future of smoky grey uniforms...into the nearest smoky grey trash can!"

The UT colors are orange and white. Make grey uniforms for a team that has grey as a school color.

:rock: Burn em...

Kind of like it’s a stretch to say a shade of orange found no where else in college football. I love it as much as anyone, but we’ve went through many shades of orange before coming up with our specific shade now. I’m sure lots of other schools have their specific shades of their colors as well, but let’s not pretend like it such a sacred thing it can never be changed or altered.

Count me in for the grey camp. I really like the look, and as you said, the recruits and players like them also.

VN Store

Back