The Foreign Trade Thread

I wasn't sure if you were trolling so I googled and apparently bamboo farming is a thing, but one problem (according to this) is that it takes at least six years to get established.

Bamboo Set to go Big on U.S. Farmland

Pine trees take something like 30 years.

There wouldn't be a Great Pacific Garbage Patch if that stuff had been made from hemp and bamboo.

Reactions: hog88
Pine trees take something like 30 years.

There wouldn't be a Great Pacific Garbage Patch if that stuff had been made from hemp and bamboo.

American agriculture could use more diversification. It seems farmers are largely driven by habit.

I'm guessing that additionally bamboo requires buying special equipment. Does it even grow in colder climates (plains states)?

American agriculture could use more diversification. It seems farmers are largely driven by habit.

I'm guessing that additionally bamboo requires buying special equipment. Does it even grow in colder climates (plains states)?

Most species need it warmer. The southeast is best. But Mexico and Central America should be able to grow a lot. Processing it in the US is probably a better option.

China is the largest grower. Trump should promote it and target their export markets. But Big Oil...

I'd expect that each side is aware of every possible move by the other side and has a response ready. Bottom line is that when China sells 4 or 5 times as much as they buy, they shouldn't win. They've been playing the POTUS term limit hand long enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: hog88
China has a lot of issues. US trade is not the top one on their list. They may be bluffing about stuff, but I don't see evidence that they're bluffing about this.

I know you are used to participation trophies. But this is about leveraging for a better trade deal that no other President has had the stones to do.

It's been 2.5 years. Where is it? Somewhere in the imaginations of his supporters, I guess.

Nope. If I did I'd probably lay out and follow a plan, rather than doing whatever random task popped into my mind every other day.
Exactly my point. When you start tearing into something you have to be prepared to change on the fly. Heaven forbid you get creative and make it way better than you originally planned.

VN Store

Back