The Foreign Trade Thread

I mean when does one side give in and tariffs decrease

I've posted this in other threads, but capex projects spurred by the tax cuts have halted. I'm speaking specifically of my customers, who need the Chinese market.

Q2 reports will startle people. Q3 will be bad. Trump will cave to China and claim victory this fall. Trump wouldn't be able to survive a slowdown and he knows it - he's sold everyone growth.

It looks to me like the Chinese are digging in, so I don't expect movement anytime soon.

They actually make long term plans. Paying high tariffs aren't part of them. They can wait Donnie out. They also know he's pretty wishy washy.

Trump will cave to China and claim victory this fall.

If the negotiations get scaled back to a simple agreement (China agrees to buy X soybeans and whatever and tariffs drop) it could happen anytime.

If not, and the U.S. continues demanding comprehensive change, good luck.

If the negotiations get scaled back to a simple agreement (China agrees to buy X soybeans and whatever and tariffs drop) it could happen anytime.

If not, and the U.S. continues demanding comprehensive change, good luck.
Now if Trump could eliminate the minimum wage... That'd throw a wrench in China's big plan

Don't get me started on that crap. Years ago the city of Alcoa wanted to put a foot bridge over the 129 bypass to tie the 2 or 3 hundred citizens on one side of the road to the several thousands on the other. The cost was right around $1 million and the taxpayers rejected it. Fast forward a few years and "shovel ready" makes its debut and the greedy sleeze balls in charge of Alcoa submit the must have bridge for a shovel ready grant. Obama's clan blessed it and all of a sudden the million dollar bridge became five million and got built. In the several hundred times I've driven under it I think I've seen a couple of hundred people use it.

I was trying to look up how a 1M dollar project turned into 5M but I couldn't find it. The only thing I could find on the cost of the bridge is from the Blount County newspaper which stated the cost was 1.5M. Do you have any more info in this?

Alcoa pedestrian bridge, trail extension dedication Tuesday

Don't get me started on that crap. Years ago the city of Alcoa wanted to put a foot bridge over the 129 bypass to tie the 2 or 3 hundred citizens on one side of the road to the several thousands on the other. The cost was right around $1 million and the taxpayers rejected it. Fast forward a few years and "shovel ready" makes its debut and the greedy sleeze balls in charge of Alcoa submit the must have bridge for a shovel ready grant. Obama's clan blessed it and all of a sudden the million dollar bridge became five million and got built. In the several hundred times I've driven under it I think I've seen a couple of hundred people use it.

A lot of the Obama stimulus stuff was definitely "shovel ready". Ready to be buried ... most of it should have died aborning.

I was trying to look up how a 1M dollar project turned into 5M but I couldn't find it. The only thing I could find on the cost of the bridge is from the Blount County newspaper which stated the cost was 1.5M. Do you have any more info in this?

Alcoa pedestrian bridge, trail extension dedication Tuesday

I don't have any supporting documents to add to this debacle. My numbers may have come from the added expense of the approaches and acquisition costs of the land, it's been a few years. It was a huge waste of money no matter what anyone says, just like the bridge to nowhere.

It looks to me like the Chinese are digging in, so I don't expect movement anytime soon.

They can and will dig in but, since the 350 million people in the US purchase 500 billion is goods while exporting 150 billion (mainly food) to China I can guess who will blink first. The disparity will come in next months numbers. The last 2 months companies have been buying up inventories and maxing out Chinese production to avoid additional tariffs. The real trade war can now begin.

Reactions: AM64

Vs are you in Alcoa or Maryville? My mom lives in Alcoa 2 blocks from the pool thats in front of the HS. Gentrification of sorts has made that a pretty nice area. Both of my lil sisters went to Alcoa HS.

People say Trump doesn't read. It's pretty clear he's read Orwell.

If tariffs are good because it will bring companies back to America, why don't we just go ahead and put a 50% tariff on all imports? Imagine all the jobs it will create for the piggy bank.

VN Store

Back