The Foreign Trade Thread

Maybe get on the same page as your trade negotiator on the goal of the talks before you're meeting with the other side on camera?

D0anURsX4AUIlGA.jpg

Wait, you mean we're exporting in an industry where we hold a comparative advantage and an absolute advantage? This art of the deal ************ can do it all.
Or... he’s gotten beyond the stigma of the Vietnam War and opened up more trade. At least this order was filled by Boeing and not say Airbus?

Reactions: hog88
Or... he’s gotten beyond the stigma of the Vietnam War and opened up more trade. At least this order was filled by Boeing and not say Airbus?

Was there still a stigma? We pretty steadily increased exports to Vietnam from 2002 to 2016 ($0.5B to $10.1B). We did $8.9B in 2018.

Was there still a stigma? We pretty steadily increased exports to Vietnam from 2002 to 2016 ($0.5B to $10.1B). We did $8.9B in 2018.
I believe there was yes. And look at the values, not a lot. I’m just positing it as a possible reason. Plus again Boeing got this order not Airbus. That’s good for North American aviation industry? Did Trumps visit play a role? No idea honestly.

I think that’s the primary point to make. No idea if Trump helped close it or not. But $15B in sales on the books for Boeing is good for the US aerospace industry.

We are trading with Vietnam, there's only so many places to buy passenger jets. Vietnamese politics not much of a factor here.

I believe there was yes. And look at the values, not a lot. I’m just positing it as a possible reason. Plus again Boeing got this order not Airbus. That’s good for North American aviation industry? Did Trumps visit play a role? No idea honestly.

By what measure? Vietnam is a poor country and $10.1B makes them a top 30 importer from the US.

By population, it's larger than any country in the EU.

Yeah, I realized I misspoke, I meant to say small economy, which is also not true. It's like 47th largest, so nevertheless, it being the 30th largest importer is an indication that there is nothing wrong with our relations. What I should have said is it's a poor country.

By what measure? Vietnam is a poor country and $10.1B makes them a top 30 importer from the US.
I don’t disagree huff. But a “top 30” doesn’t mean they make or break us. This is more trade. You should be gleefully squealing regardless of reason. The take away is Boeing and GE got these deals, not Airbus and Rolls Royce

We are trading with Vietnam, there's only so many places to buy passenger jets. Vietnamese politics not much of a factor here.
What's interesting is the apparent growth of its airline.
I was about to reply to the first quote and saw the second. Yes the Asia region growth rate for air travel is projected to exceed the combined rate for US and EU I believe in the not far future? So it’s good to get US products and their support contracts in place for the growth.

I don’t disagree huff. But a “top 30” doesn’t mean they make or break us. This is more trade. You should be gleefully squealing regardless of reason. The take away is Boeing and GE got these deals, not Airbus and Rolls Royce

Gleefully squealing about what exactly? A protected industry is either getting a deal they would have gotten anyway, or a protected industry needed POTUS to schmooze people over to get them a deal. I would be gleefully squealing if this deal were accomplished without trade agreements and subsidies, and if 36% of Boeing's revenue didn't come from our government. This is one of the coziest crony relationships in the US.

It's not a bad thing that we got this deal, but it's not some impressive feat by Trump or something to gleefully celebrate, either.

Boeing | Subsidy Tracker

Gleefully squealing about what exactly? A protected industry is either getting a deal they would have gotten anyway, or a protected industry needed POTUS to schmooze people over to get them a deal. I would be gleefully squealing if this deal were accomplished without trade agreements and subsidies, and if 36% of Boeing's revenue didn't come from our government. This is one of the coziest crony relationships in the US.

It's not a bad thing that we got this deal, but it's not some impressive feat by Trump or something to gleefully celebrate, either.

Boeing | Subsidy Tracker
Huff we aren’t disagreeing here. I have stated that I have no idea what if anything Trump has to do with this. But two US companies got some major bookings and that indeed is something to be “gleeful” about. Once again you’re arguing just to argue!

VN Store

Back