The Foreign Trade Thread

I like John Stossel, but he comes off as petty with the spelling correction.

Normally I would agree but I think sometimes it’s worth pointing out that the most powerful elected official in the US can’t spell or speak in full sentences. Maybe we should self-reflect?

Normally I would agree but I think sometimes it’s worth pointing out that the most powerful elected official in the US can’t spell or speak in full sentences. Maybe we should self-reflect?
It happens. Errors happen all the time. You can clearly see that the next word in the tweet he was using multiple o's to try to drive home a point. He probably got a little carried away.

I mean, there are 20 other things to be criticizing Trump about that are actually legit and that impact our daily lives. A misspelling on a tweet is not even on the list.

The huge new Pacific trade deal has gone into effect without the US

The nonprofit Peterson International Institute for Economics estimates that the total GDP of participating countries will increase by about 1%, with the largest gains for Vietnam and Peru. They also estimate that while total US income would have increased by about $130 billion dollars due to the deal, the US is now set to lose about $2 billion in income because US exports will be less competitive in CPTPP nations.

Hang on. Stick with a consistent diatribe at least. We just got lectured that “free trade” is by definition win win and doesn’t happen unless both sides want it to. So now since it fits your narrative we lose $2B? 🤣🤣🤣

We lose $2B (per that estimate) by not being in the trade zone.

We'll instead have bilateral agreements with every country that we want to trade with. They all want access to US markets.

If North Korea acts up, no country will be able to run end arounds defying US sanctions and then appeal to a globalist organization for permission.

I'd like to know how the US not being a member means billions less in income. Japan will buy less food because they're in a club? Well hopefully their purchases from an alternate country will help that country prosper and that 3rd country won't need US financial aid going forward.

Nope. We’ve been lectured that if we want to spend $2B on goods somebody will step up and sell them to us. Trade zone or no trade zone.
The $2 billion "loss" is exports not sold because we don't have this trade agreement in place. Which is different than whatever Trump is saying about NAFTA.
Japan will buy less food because they're in a club?
No, they'll buy more from Canada and Mexico instead.

The $2 billion "loss" is exports not sold because we don't have this trade agreement in place. Which is different than whatever Trump is saying about NAFTA.
Nope that isn’t “trade” again as we have been lectured.

Out of one corner of your mouth you idiots make fun of Trump touting trade “losses” while out of the other corner you use the same arguments against him. We get it orange man bad.
No, they'll buy more from Canada and Mexico instead.
Prove it. Japan wants access to the single largest consumer economy in the world. They’ll buy their food here if it helps them sell their electronics here.

Last edited:
Out of one corner of your mouth you idiots make fun of Trump touting trade “losses” while out of the other corner you use the same arguments against him. We get it orange man bad.

Prove it. Japan wants access to the single largest consumer economy in the world. They’ll buy their food here if it helps them sell their electronics here.

I guess I've never fully grasped how it is that we lose money in NAFTA.

There are eleven countries in CPTPP. I'm not sure why you're singling out Japan, as if that's the only one buying food.

I guess I've never fully grasped how it is that we lose money in NAFTA.

There are eleven countries in CPTPP. I'm not sure why you're singling out Japan, as if that's the only one buying food.
Oh ffs... you and TGO brought up Japan not me 🙄

I'm more worried about poor people than I am myself. Like the people that are already struggling so much that they have to put their Christmas toy shopping on layaway. An extra $6.00 per toy is something your privileged ass scoffs at, but it's meaningful to people that are less fortunate than us.
Ffs why don't you cry us an el rio?

In the time since Trump dropped TPP, 11 countries restarted it, rewrote the agreement, and it's gone into effect.

And during that time Mr. Art of the Deal has accomplished __________?
My answer is “who GAF it’s a work in progress”. TPP was negotiated over months and it wasn’t a 100% do over and you moonbats complain we withdrew and didn’t have something else in place immediately. Fact: Trump has forced Abe to engage in dialog Barry never could with regard to bilateral trade agreements.

In the time since Trump dropped TPP, 11 countries restarted it, rewrote the agreement, and it's gone into effect.

And during that time Mr. Art of the Deal has accomplished __________?

Negotiated trade deals with South Korea, Mexico, and Canada. Nearing new deals with Japan and the UK. Not caved in to China. He's now selling them US grown rice for the first time ever.

Last edited:
Fact: Trump has forced Abe to engage in dialog Barry never could with regard to bilateral trade agreements.
Because Obama wasn't perusing a bilateral deal, he was pushing TPP.
Nearing new deals with Japan and the UK.
We've only agreed to talk with Japan, and we're not even that far along with the UK, because they've not figured out what they're doing with Brexit.

Because Obama wasn't perusing a bilateral deal, he was pushing TPP.

We've only agreed to talk with Japan, and we're not even that far along with the UK, because they've not figured out what they're doing with Brexit.
Nope. You’re 100% wrong. Abe told Barry to piss off on bilateral deals and he did just that. Read the damn link above. He wouldn’t consider it before.

Japan has long been resistant to a free trade agreement with the United Statesbut faced with the threat of harsh tariffs, the Asian giant appears to have changed its mind.

Reactions: DC_Vol

VN Store

Back