The first round upset thread

Hey Law, what's your take on the Vols. I think the SEC becomes redundant , playing teams numerous times. I think the Vols could surprise some teams they have yet to face with their speed and defense.Your take?

I like how Yahoo Sports had us as a #1 seed and dismissed Kansas. Does anyone see UCLA losing early?

Hey Law, what's your take on the Vols. I think the SEC becomes redundant , playing teams numerous times. I think the Vols could surprise some teams they have yet to face with their speed and defense.Your take?

Mine is the same as about 90 % of the people on here, which is to say that when UT is playing its best, it is competitive with any team out there and a whole lot better than probably 60 of the 65 teams in the tournament. But, if your perimiter shooting is off or if your team forgets to play defense for 30 minutes (as it seems of late), then any team from the second round on can beat you.

My concern would be whether the team gets down on itself for the last 10 days of bball, which have just not seemed like you are clicking. Honestly, you ought to be in the Elite Eight but its just tough to tell where the team is right now.

I like how Yahoo Sports had us as a #1 seed and dismissed Kansas. Does anyone see UCLA losing early?
Anyone who watched kansas - texas today and dismissed either of those teams needs to pull their head out of ..... ... ! If we make it to texas in texas it's going to be very tough .
:shades:

Anyone who watched kansas - texas today and dismissed either of those teams needs to pull their head out of ..... ... ! If we make it to texas in texas it's going to be very tough .
:shades:

Yes it will. In fact, it is a final four type match up a round early.

Mine is the same as about 90 % of the people on here, which is to say that when UT is playing its best, it is competitive with any team out there and a whole lot better than probably 60 of the 65 teams in the tournament. But, if your perimiter shooting is off or if your team forgets to play defense for 30 minutes (as it seems of late), then any team from the second round on can beat you.

My concern would be whether the team gets down on itself for the last 10 days of bball, which have just not seemed like you are clicking. Honestly, you ought to be in the Elite Eight but its just tough to tell where the team is right now.
That is pretty much how I see it. The Arkansas game we lost the other day, didn't surprise me that much. We couldn't stop them down low (at all).

sorry about that. i meant UT. still getting used to the idea of being able to talk a little smack this late in march!

go eagles!

Its cool man. I know that yall are excited for your first NCAA tourney. I live in the DC area and I was glad you all made it in. I would root for you if you weren't playing against my school.

What do you think is the over/under for the number of students who make it down to birmingham? 5?

Its cool man. I know that yall are excited for your first NCAA tourney. I live in the DC area and I was glad you all made it in. I would root for you if you weren't playing against my school.

What do you think is the over/under for the number of students who make it down to birmingham? 5?

LOL! before i got to the end of the sentence regarding your question about the over/under, i immediately thought "5" as well. however, if i get to count the cheerleaders and the ridiculous AU mascot (Clawed D. Eagle) i'll go with 10!

At first blush, here's some potential first round upsets (based on seeding only) I like:

#9 Arky over #8 Indiana
#10 South Alabama over # 7 Butler
#9 Kent State over #8 UNLV
#11 Kansas State over # 6 Southern Cal
#10 St. Mary's over # 7 Miami
#11 Kentucky over # 6 Marquette
#12 W. Ky over # 5 Drake
#11 Baylor over # 6 Purdon't

I would even consider:

#13 Winthrop over #4 Washington State

Your first round upset possibilities?

:eek:lol: I would love to see that upset. My boss is a Purdue undergrad guy, and we made a bet some weeks ago and I like his chances better than mine with Tenn, so I'm hoping that just like the Illinois game they are purdone early. :)

LOL! before i got to the end of the sentence regarding your question about the over/under, i immediately thought "5" as well. however, if i get to count the cheerleaders and the ridiculous AU mascot (Clawed D. Eagle) i'll go with 10!

You all will take a band down there, no?

In the initial over/under I set, I was thinking about non-cheerleaders, non-band, non-student-managers.

After that, I'm gonna go with 5.

Will most AU students watch the game on campus somewhere? A local bar, perhaps?

VN Store

Back