The Final, Definitive, Determinative, Debate-Ending "Woooo" or No-"Woooo" Thread

I've been going to UT games since the early 80's on a regular basis and was at school there from 90-94 and there was no Woo.

See my post above from the '97 SEC CG...around the 54:00 mark the band is playing RT after a 1st down catch....No Woo from the crowd.

Maybe some band members did it but you couldn't hear them.

I don't really care. When I go to the games almost everyone does it and seems to be having fun while they do. That it's the cause of everything that's been wrong?? Lol ok

Reactions: kcvols1
I hate the woo. I hate uniform changes. I like traditional. I was taken to games by my father and it wasn't there. I have great memories as a kid going to games. Going back now without my father and seeing the changes makes it feel different in a disappointing way. I feel like I'm pulling for a different team. There is my reason for the scowl and no woo.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reactions: VolInNW
I think I'll wait until the next version of this debate topic comes up, like later this summer.

It really doesn't matter as long as a Vol fan has a reason to sing Rocky Top. Btw I was singing Rocky Top before the Woo.

I long for a Rocky Top minus Wooo
The anthem beloved by Vols old and new

Someone sneaked a wooo in the verse
And now there’s a curse

Henceforth moments of prominence few

Last edited:
Reactions: TAF
I don't remember it until late '97 and that was from the band mostly. By the end of '98 it was filtering through the stands. I think by '99 it was here (sadly to stay). Here is a clip from the '97 SEC CG and there is no Woo...at least that can be heard....right about the 54:00 mark.

I’m not in the WOO tang clan but I do give you extremely high marks for some excellent research!

Men waving pompoms and men shouting “woooo” in unison have no place in SEC football (notwithstanding my love for Ric Flair).

Just my $.02.

Yellow cardigan sweaters in 95 degree heat are way closer to flaming, troll

... just my two bits.

Man watching Peyton and that Auburn game how on earth did we not win it all that year. Manning Lewis Nash Price Little hard to believe. Anyways Woo doesn't bother me I don't give it much thought, especially if we are winning. I recall that Smokey bark thing got a little bit weird there for a while.

Coming from a fanbase where men do a sissy chomp with their arms.

You’re mistaking us for FSU, that little limp-wristed, one-armed chop thing they do. The Chomp, on the other hand, is forceful and masculine. We’re imitating alligators and crocodiles and sharks, with the Jaws theme playing in the background. Try it sometime, I’m sure it’ll increase your testosterone levels.

That’s certainly more masculine than a bunch of Alabama or Georgia frat boys frantically waving pompons at each other in their turtlenecks and trousers. Or a bunch of grown ass men all going “woooo” in unison like they just pulled off a triple-axel in ice skating or something.

You’re mistaking us for FSU, that little limp-wristed, one-armed chop thing they do. The Chomp, on the other hand, is forceful and masculine. We’re imitating alligators and crocodiles and sharks, with the Jaws theme playing in the background. Try it sometime, I’m sure it’ll increase your testosterone levels.

That’s certainly more masculine than a bunch of Alabama or Georgia frat boys frantically waving pompons at each other in their turtlenecks and trousers. Or a bunch of grown ass men all going “woooo” in unison like they just pulled off a triple-axel in ice skating or something.

I’m not talking about the “woo”. For the most part, the grown men doing the chomp have their elbows bent looking like Richard Simmons clapping.

The Osborne Brothers don‘t “WOO!”

therefore there is NO “WOO!” In Rocky Top

Girls “WOO!”...and that’s a GOOD thing...oh you didn’t know that? I’m sorry...

There's no "Go Vols" in Immigrant Song, yet that happens all the time when the Pride plays that. So this argument is worthless.

I’m not talking about the “woo”. For the most part, the grown men doing the chomp have their elbows bent looking like Richard Simmons clapping.

😂 fair enough.

Besides, all our chants will probably be banned eventually. Hell, today I was informed that the “gator bait” chant that I’ve done for 4 decades with people from all walks of life and backgrounds is racist! Yep, apparently in the 1920’s someone alleged that someone else fed black babies to alligators, so of course, that had to go. Of course, there’s no proof that actually happened and there’s absolutely no proof that that’s what anyone in the swamp was thinking about as we’re all shouting “gator bait”, but hey, the woke crowd says it’s racist, so it must be true.

At any rate, happy “woo’ing” Pom Pom waving, chomping and whatever else we all love to do.

How long before someone wants to outlaw the entire SEC given it’s wretched history of racist coaches, players and even fan bases?

VN Store

Back