The feeling now compared to the week before the 2012 season

The defense will be 100% better than 2012!

I am looking for much more improvement than that! We could field a group of geriatric senior citizens with walkers and do better than 2012!

Now, we have a D Line rife with 5 Star Studs and proven monsters out there. Cam is back, Curt Maggitt is back, wow, this is going to be GREAT!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/arZdeg_fL-I[/youtube]

I remember feeling pretty good after kicking the coon dog **** out of NC State though. But i have to agree with not caring much for Dools after the KY game. Ruined Thanksgiving...

You really thought THIS guy might be our answer?

601158_4410729_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

I have a mental block of the Dooley years. Had it put in in early 2013. It's biodegradable plastic, but is rated to last at least 80 years...so it will dissolve well after I'm in the ground :)

Haha, just kidding, but honestly: I don't remember the Dooley era too well. Just a vague sense of frustration, like a thick morning mist coating everything from back then.

A very wise decision.

I'll be honest I was more excited that year. I thought (correctly) that our offense would be damn near unstoppable and that the defense would be solid enough to hold teams off. I thought we would only lose the alabama game. This fall camp's injury debacle made me lower expectations from 9-3 to 7-5.

You really think Gaulden and those two lineman who weren't any good anyway really gonna change things two games? Wow! I If we don't have anymore depth then that then 5 wins will be a miracle bro! Chill out, everything's fine

Last edited:
I feel equally as excited. In 2012, however, that excitement was misplaced because the roster was still shallow.

Reactions: 1 person
No way man! A defense who just had a severe lack of talent!

If Wilcox had stayed, the defense would not have been half as bad, and it would've stayed in the 4-3. It's a good thing that he did leave, because he would have been the difference between 5-7 and 8-4, and that would've bought Dooley another season.

2012 did not happen. It is not possible that Troy's offense gains 721 yards inside of Neyland Stadium. Ever. TN skipped the 2012 season. Vanderbilt did not blow out TN in 2012. That is not possible.

Way more excited about this year. A loss to Florida this year might be more than I can take.

You might not want to watch that game then, because it's more likely than not the Vols will lose that game in the Swamp.

You might not want to watch that game then, because it's more likely than not the Vols will lose that game in the Swamp.

You think their defense outscores our offense? Can their offense even score on our defense? What is your prediction for that game?

You think their defense outscores our offense? Can their offense even score on our defense? What is your prediction for that game?

Until I see the UT offense run the football on the Gators defense, mix in a passing game, and not commit turnovers and penalties in the Swamp, I won't predict a win for the Vols. If the Vols do those things they will have a chance in that game, if not expect another loss and 4 or 5 losses this season.

Until I see the UT offense run the football on the Gators defense, mix in a passing game, and not commit turnovers and penalties in the Swamp, I won't predict a win for the Vols. If the Vols do those things they will have a chance in that game, if not expect another loss and 4 or 5 losses this season.

I think we get them this year. But it is hard to imagine when considering how our luck has went in this series the last several years. It should be a hard fought game.

If Wilcox had stayed, the defense would not have been half as bad, and it would've stayed in the 4-3. It's a good thing that he did leave, because he would have been the difference between 5-7 and 8-4, and that would've bought Dooley another season.

Wilcox was good, the best hire Dooley made, Sunseri being the worst.

Dooley had no plan in recruiting, he just took whatever 3 star that was available. If the Vols had gone 8-4 that season, Dooley gets another year. I seroulsly doubt that he wins 6 games in 2013 unless Bray stays. But, either way, I'm glad that he's gone.

There are similarities in this season and 2012. if Debord is another Sunseri, and the Offense flops, UT could be in for another disappointing season. If Debord improves the line play and the running game, the Vols could have a 10 win season.

As the season gets closer I'm growing more and more concerned with the OL. That nervous apprehension from the last couple years is creeping in.

Was just as excited, if not more, before the 2012 season. The offense looked unstoppable, and Sunseri seemed like a great hire at DC.

I was probably a little less excited in 2012. I feel like Debord is a better hire than sunseri.

Though watching Cordarrelle Patterson break ankles is probably as exciting as anything you'll ever see.

erwinjrvol88 said:
As the season gets closer I'm growing more and more concerned with the OL. That nervous apprehension from the last couple years is creeping in.

Yeah. That is pretty much everyone's biggest worry I think. It hit me a while back and will last until they perform. Who knows.

MRobVFL said:
Though watching Cordarrelle Patterson break ankles is probably as exciting as anything you'll ever see.

Probably the most memorable positive of that season. Pretty much the only good thing I remember.

After losing to UK in '11 I wasn't so excited to see what else Dooley had in store for us. I wanted hokum fired but I was worried the AD would yet again drop the ball and set us back even further with more coaching instability and another unproven commodity. This year I'm cautiously optimistic, but I fully believe that we are about to take our place as another feared SEC team. We may not win it, even the east, but I can't not see us being in the running for it at least.

I hope Alvin Kamara has a CP style coming out party this year. That's about the only thing I hope this season has in similarities to 2012.

VN Store

Back