The ESPN hype machine is on full blast - New years 6 Bowls

Don't get me wrong, I like the positive buzz about U.T. football but it also makes me nervous. I recall all the buzz that was about us in the pre season of 2008. rather than finish with a top # 5 team, we had a losing record and our coach was fired.

Or 05'. Phil was hyping the team a bit pre season because he feared the possibility that being ranked #3 might leave him out of the dance like AU the yr before. Wow.

Watched the 05' LSU comeback recently and Phil in the post game commented that we may meet LSU again that season = SECCG! He was delusional even 3-4 games into that season.

I honestly still can't fathom how we ended up with a losing record that year.

Last edited:
Or 05'. Phil was hyping the team a bit pre season because he feared the possibility that being ranked #3 might leave him out of the dance like AU the yr before. Wow.

Watched the 05' LSU comeback recently and Phil in the post game commented that we may meet LSU again that season = SECCG! He was delusional even 3-4 games into that season.

I honestly still can't fathom how we ended up with a losing record that year.

With the benefit of hindsight, two reasons, I think:

(1) hubris of the coaching staff and sense of entitlement among the players;
(2) followed by brittle characters that shattered when things weren't going our way.

Everyone associated with the program that year was at fault, I think (including us fans). Thought being Tennessee was enough right off the bat for 7 or 8 wins, and that a bit of work could get another two or three. That set us up for a couple of early losses to teams ranked roughly as high as we were.

After losing to both Florida and Georgia in the first half the year, I think a strong dose of doubt began to creep in as well. And then when we lost to Alabama and it became absolutely clear we couldn't get to the SEC CG, the team just gave up. Which is about the only way to explain the losses to USC and Vandy.

Proves the wisdom of the phrase, "the mightier they are, the harder they fall."

But yeah, that year sucked.

Last edited:
With the benefit of hindsight, two reasons, I think:

(1) hubris of the coaching staff and sense of entitlement among the players;
(2) followed by brittle characters that folded when things weren't going our way.

Everyone associated with the program that year was at fault, I think (including us fans). Thought being Tennessee was enough right off the bat for 7 or 8 wins, and that a bit of work could get another two or three. That set us up for a couple of early losses to teams ranked roughly as high as we were.

After losing to both Florida and Georgia in the first half the year, I think a strong dose of doubt began to creep in as well. And then when we lost to Alabama and it became absolutely clear we couldn't get to the SEC CG, the team just gave up. Which is about the only way to explain the losses to USC and Vandy.

Proves the wisdom of the phrase, "the mightier they are, the harder they fall."

But yeah, that year sucked.

Tennessee was never EXPECTED to go the the SECCG

VN Store

Back