The Endzone Garden Thread

We are in the planning stages. Just didn't get as much done around the house last year as we wanted. I'm looking for somewhere to buy some composted manure. Going to put down cardboard and then a layer of compost. Let the cardboard rot and then till. Will keep adding organics after that. I am going to have to build fences, gates and a chicken wire roof if I have any hope of stopping the wildlife.

I've never known anyone that grew Omar's. Keep us updated. I've been really curious to try it. THe descriptions say to not pick the tomato, you have to cut it in order not to break the branches. We're talking a two hand, cantelope sized tomato. I've also seen pics where some took panty hose and supported each fruit like it was in a sling.
I keep finding gardening hints about “support your cantaloupes/ melons/ maters in used pantyhose!”

It works great, but I last owned pantyhose 25 years ago, and I ain’t buying any more! 🙃

I'd never heard of the Omar Lebanese before today. Just order a pack. Got them from Amazon. All the others were the same price or more plus shipping. These are $3.69 for 20 and free shipping.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I keep finding gardening hints about “support your cantaloupes/ melons/ maters in used pantyhose!”

It works great, but I last owned pantyhose 25 years ago, and I ain’t buying any more! 🙃

If you suspend your melon vines, which I've seen a bit of in pics for growing tips, then the panty hose looks to be quite useful. Otherwise, panty hose just slows the inevitable cycle of love. and useless..

Reactions: VolNExile
I'd never heard of the Omar Lebanese before today. Just order a pack. Got them from Amazon. All the others were the same price or more plus shipping. These are $3.69 for 20 and free shipping.
Good luck and good eating. I'd read up on several different renditions of growing tips for Omar's since it is one of the larger tomatoes you can grow. If you super fertilize you can prob bust that 3 pound barrier easily.

I've also read that since Omar's can get up to 3 lbs or so, the plants only produce 3-5 tomatoes. So, you may want to try several.

@82_VOL_83
I just saw a youtube video where a plant had lots of blooms. Maybe it depends on where your gowing and how big they are getting for hte plant to support. They seem to be similar in size to the mortgage lifter capabilties.

I'm waiting on these to be available. They sold out last year before I saw them. They're called Pink Tiger

224a-PinkTiger_800x.jpg
Description

Pink Tiger - (Capsicum Chinense)

The Pink Tiger is one of the prettiest chili peppers you can grow in your garden. It's a cross between the Bhut Jolokia and Pimenta da Neyde and developed in Italy. The peppers get 2-3 inches in length and start out green and dark purple and ripen to cream and pink with striations and sometime beautiful striping depending on growing conditions. Foliage of the plant is dark green/purple and the overall height can get to 3-4 feet and are very productive. The peppers are hot and have a fruity flavor.

Heat level: 200,000 (SHU) Scoville Heat Units – Hot

Flavor: Sweet and Fruity

If you suspend your melon vines, which I've seen a bit of in pics for growing tips, then the panty hose looks to be quite useful. Otherwise, panty hose just slows the inevitable cycle of love. and useless..
lol

Plus your legs need to be freshly shaven, or you will go insane!

Reactions: GVF
lol

Plus your legs need to be freshly shaven, or you will go insane!
Between girdles and panty hose, it's a wonder women were able to attract men and populate the earth.

Don't fret. This is related to gardening. Without the loss of hose, gardens wouldn't be needed to feed more mouths.

Reactions: VolNExile
In 1998, a woman I know got dressed up for a presentation important to securing funding (she’s a geneticist). She did not shave anywhere. Her fine leg hair made interesting patterns under her pantyhose. She was at Harvard at the time. Yes, she did get further funding.

In 1998, a woman I know got dressed up for a presentation important to securing funding (she’s a geneticist). She did not shave anywhere. Her fine leg hair made interesting patterns under her pantyhose. She was at Harvard at the time. Yes, she did get further funding.

There's always a match for someone. Sounds like she should hang out at the pool with FJB. But, somehow I picture a chic that don't shave anywhere as also not a fan of deo.

I'm waiting on these to be available. They sold out last year before I saw them. They're called Pink Tiger

View attachment 452431
Description

Pink Tiger - (Capsicum Chinense)

The Pink Tiger is one of the prettiest chili peppers you can grow in your garden. It's a cross between the Bhut Jolokia and Pimenta da Neyde and developed in Italy. The peppers get 2-3 inches in length and start out green and dark purple and ripen to cream and pink with striations and sometime beautiful striping depending on growing conditions. Foliage of the plant is dark green/purple and the overall height can get to 3-4 feet and are very productive. The peppers are hot and have a fruity flavor.

Heat level: 200,000 (SHU) Scoville Heat Units – Hot

Flavor: Sweet and Fruity

Rule #1: If it's really hot, the flavor is HEAT. Not Sweet and Fruity. (But, it would be an awesome pepper to grow. Imma keep an eye out.)

Who cares what it looks like? I’m just saying that the feeling drove me crazy.

Rule #1: If it's really hot, the flavor is HEAT. Not Sweet and Fruity. (But, it would be an awesome pepper to grow. Imma keep an eye out.)
That aint a rule it's an opinion.

200,000 aint that hot. Some of my others are 1.8 - 2.1 million on the same scale. The Dragons Breath...

90i-Dragon_sBreath_1000x.jpg

Description

Dragon's Breath - (Capsicum chinense)

We acquired our seeds directly from the original grower in the UK and grew these out three years ago. The Dragon’s Breath pepper is named for the symbol of Wales – the Welsh dragon. It is believed to be the unofficial world’s hottest pepper with a reported peak heat of 2.48 million Scoville heat units. Is it myth or reality? We cannot prove either and no official tests have been performed to back up these claims but I can tell you from firsthand experience this pepper is one of the hottest we have grown. The smell and pungency of the capsaicin knocks you down when the chili is cut into as the capsaicin oil pours out.

Heat level: 2,000,000++(SHU) Scoville Heat Units – Nuclear Heat

Flavor: Does "Fire" have a flavor?

Chocolate Moruga Scorpion...

Moruga_Scorpion_Chocolate_50_b_800x.jpg

Description

This is the Chocolate version of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion that scored a world record heat of over 2,000,000 Scoville units. It is also called the Brown Moruga Scorpion. The heat level is comparable to the red Moruga Scorpion but it has a much sweeter flavor. The Chocolate Moruga chili plants can get over 3 feet tall and produce peppers larger than a golf ball.

Heat level: 1,200,000 - 2,000,000 (SHU) Scoville Heat Units - Insanely Hot!

Flavor: Fruity Citrus flavor with smoky undertones and a hint of earthy sweetness.

I haven’t done that! But if they’re heirloom, (and not hybrid), they should grow true from seed.

This is from the “Saving Seed” tab on Black Krim, a great Russian —er, Ukrainian —heirloom tomato (Krim refers to Crimea.) It’s pretty detailed about what to do (their wall of text, not mine.) Black Krim did great for me last year, and I’m planting again this year.

Slicing Tomato Seeds - Black Krim

I’m passing your question to our EMG listserv for experienced backyard tomato growers.
@82_VOL_83
Here’s a reply:
The described technique is a little more involved than I have used but should work fine — not sure about the antibiotic comments and this technique preventing bacterial diseases — would hopefully be starting with disease-free fruit.
PR

Sent from my iPhone

VN Store

Back