The early, EARLY staff/team assessment thread

All the players are getting better. Tonight was the best game of the season for Rae and the best game of her career for Kamera. I am optimistic about our player development. I hope we can continue to play with energy really played the worst quarter of the season last night after taking a 37 point lead to the locker room.

Reactions: VolBall09 and lvocd
I like the way we have improved every game. Jordan has been better than advertised and I think this will be Rennia’s breakout season. I have no doubt that Kellie and staff can coach this team up and demand hard work and hustle. My biggest fear for this coaching staff is recruiting...I have my doubts they’ll be able to land the classes that Holly & Co did.

Reactions: lvocd
I like the way we have improved every game. Jordan has been better than advertised and I think this will be Rennia’s breakout season. I have no doubt that Kellie and staff can coach this team up and demand hard work and hustle. My biggest fear for this coaching staff is recruiting...I have my doubts they’ll be able to land the classes that Holly & Co did.
Win...they will come...

We'll get more information after today's game against Texas. Meanwhile, here's an interesting take from the Mo St. message board which might be somewhat useful for comparison's sake. It lists a lot of positives for their new coach and indirectly reflects upon Kellie. Some of the things mentioned are also traits we see in Kellie, while other things have been mentioned as areas Kellie might need to address. FWIW, many of their posters seem to regard Mox and new staff as an upgrade (of course, she's dealing with a now-veteran team that ended last season as a cohesive unit and returned 12 players vs. the trainwreck Kellie inherited).

1. I love that Coach Mox has an incredible winning mentality. She has confidence that she will win every game. That confidence has been transferred to this team. In the days leading up to tonight's South Dakota game she told the players that they WILL win this game and that even if they are 45 and 3 at home . . . they are about to be 45 and 4. During the Oklahoma game she told her players that she doesn't care if they are down by 20 . . . the WILL win the game. As we know they did just that.
2. I love the adjustments she makes based on what the opposing team is doing during the game and especially at half time.
3. I love that she has an offense where the players are continually moving and screening, opening up passes inside to the post and often those post passes are being kicked back out for open shots. I have hated offenses we have had in the past where there is a lot of standing around and we end up heaving up off balance shots as the time clock is expiring.
4. I love how she has used our twin towers together and how she has emphasized defensive aggressiveness by the whole team that has led to us dominating most games on the boards.
5. I love how she uses her time outs to immediately stop any momentum by the other team, ... to save a possession at the end of a game when she sees one of our players trapped and to move the ball to our side of the court at the end of games.
6. I love how she has trained the whole team to focus on their free throw shooting for the entire game. She doesn't just have them practice free throws. She often makes them shoot them with a running consequence if they don't make them in practice. That has really paid off in the games we have won.
7. I love how she draws up a game plan that seeks to capitalize on our depth and strengths both individually and as a team . . . and how she tries to take away the strengths of her opponents and attack any weaknesses they may have.
8. I love her substitution patterns, . . . rotating players in early in games to keep everyone as fresh as possible, but at the same time keeping her best players in at key points in the game. She always keeps some shooters and rebounders in the game together. If Jasmine and/or Emily get in foul trouble she tries to have either one or the other in the game. It has been impressive how she has gotten Jasmine to stop making a lot of the impulsive, silly fouls she made last year that took her out of major parts of games.
9. I like her humility and the way she communicate in the pre and post game interviews.
Three of the things that stood out to me were the descriptions of substitution patterns, strategic use of time outs, and the vastly-improved FT shooting. The poster (whom I think also posts here) makes a good case that some of these strengths has helped Mo St continue where they left off and started extremely strong. Right now, they're breathing down our necks in the rankings.

Kellie may be my all-time favorite LV (certainly in top five), and like (almost) everyone else, I want to her to exceed all expectations and be our long-time coach who restores the program to prominence and keeps it there. Constant assessment of areas for improvement are a sign of a confident coach, and I think Kellie will make changes as needed to shore up any current deficiencies.

I think the points about FT shooting, substitution patterns, and use of time outs are pertinent to our team. I also think the Kellie is smart enough and confident enough to recognize and address any deficiencies in team play and/or coaching style and will apply whatever is necessary to return our program to national prominence.

Reactions: krichunaka

VN Store

Back