The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I would never pitch to that guy

All credit to Condon but homers are pretty cheap in this era. The balls absolutely fly off the bats--wasn't the case in the past--and a lot of parks have some short porches. Ball design gets changed periodically--and the bats have a lot more pop than in years past. I had to chuckle when I saw the number in this story about the sport averaging 1.39 homers per game or somesuch. Usually, when I watch a college game there are at least four or more home runs. It used to be a big deal to hit a home run; now, everybody hits 'em, and quite often. You've still got to be a good hitter and make good contact--but the balls travel like never before.

No I’m looking at the box score now. Never would have imagined Dallas winning a game where Kyrie played 41 minutes and score only 9 points on 8 shot attempts. I see PJ Washington made 7 threes though and had the game of his life.
Kyrie had 11 assist though to make up for lack of scoring. Plus playing mad defense.

Reactions: VolPack22
All credit to Condon but homers are pretty cheap in this era. The balls absolutely fly off the bats--wasn't the case in the past--and a lot of parks have some short porches. Ball design gets changed periodically--and the bats have a lot more pop than in years past. I had to chuckle when I saw the number in this story about the sport averaging 1.39 homers per game or somesuch. Usually, when I watch a college game there are at least four or more home runs. It used to be a big deal to hit a home run; now, everybody hits 'em, and quite often. You've still got to be a good hitter and make good contact--but the balls travel like never before.

I love how people speak about this as if it is the sole reason in home run numbers increasing. Those people are just theorizing and like it states in the article, there has been no formal testing to test said theory. Did you watch any games in the 90s/early 2000s??? Those bats were HOT. There are videos of guys on YouTube trying out bats from every era and the ones from that era travel a further distance EVERY single time. Like 500ft+ every time. If they were using those bats now we would see teams eclipsing 200 in a season. You want to know the real reason why so many people are hitting homers now? Teams used to focus on making contact and getting on base. Now they realize how valuable the home run is so they emphasize launch angle. If you also check strikeout numbers, there is a direct correlation between the launch angle philosophy and increased strikeout numbers. It’s the same thing with the 3 point shot in basketball. 3 points is better than 2 so why not eliminate those contested midrange jumpers that are inefficient and take half your overall attempts from long range. It’s not that hard to figure out.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Kyrie had 11 assist though to make up for lack of scoring. Plus playing mad defense.
I guess if he wins a Finals without Lebron we can say he was the catalyst for that Cleveland championship instead of everyone slobbering over Lebron’s jock strap. I always thought that anyways but it would validate my opinion 😁

I love how people speak about this as if it is the sole reason in home run numbers increasing. Those people are just theorizing and like it states in the article, there has been no formal testing to test said theory. Did you watch any games in the 90s/early 2000s??? Those bats were HOT. There are videos of guys on YouTube trying out bats from every era and the ones from that era travel a further distance EVERY single time. Like 500ft+ every time. If they were using those bats now we would see teams eclipsing 200 in a season. You want to know the real reason why so many people are hitting homers now? Teams used to focus on making contact and getting on base. Now they realize how valuable the home run is so they emphasize launch angle. If you also check strikeout numbers, there is a direct correlation between the launch angle philosophy and increased strikeout numbers. It’s the same thing with the 3 point shot in basketball. 3 points is better than 2 so why not eliminate those contested midrange jumpers that are inefficient and take half your overall attempts from long range. It’s not that hard to figure out.
Well Pete Incaviglia record homers was set in 1985. The bats were far from being hot back in those days.

Well Pete Incaviglia record homers was set in 1985. The bats were far from being hot back in those days.
Take a look at the top home run seasons and tell me how many were from the 80s vs the mid-90s-present. There will always be outliers and exceptions but the fact remains those bats were hot.

1715349042996.png

Take a look at the top home run seasons and tell me how many were from the 80s vs the mid-90s-present. There will always be outliers and exceptions but the fact remains those bats were hot.

View attachment 639684
What Condon is doing isn't more impressive than what Incaviglia done in 1985.

That's all I'm saying, the bats being hot in the 90's is an objective opinion.

And teams played more games back in the 80s. Yeah Incaviglia has the home run record but he also had 75 games to do it. He hit a homer in 64% of his games. Lance Berkman hit a homer in 65% of his games in 1997. Condon is currently hitting a homer in 71% of his games. I mean Frank Fazzini is tied for 9th all-time with 33 homers but he played 81 games for crying out loud. At Condon’s pace, if he was allowed 81 games he would hit 57 homers. Even if he were allowed to play 75 games he would be on pace to hit 53 homers. Either way, Condon is having the best home run season of all-time and quite possible to best overall season of all-time.

VN Store

Back