The dilemma for the rest of 2019

99gator

Congressman
Every now and then during the baseball season, a starting pitcher is getting abused and the manager doesn't get anyone ready in the bullpen.

It's a 162 game season and the manager has decided the game is lost and he's not going to add innings to his bullpen in a game that has been lost. So, the starter is left to take one for the team.

I think this is an analogy for the current dilemma for Pruitt.

If I play the current personnel, we're going to lose. But, I potentially protect the confidence of the other guys.

If I play the younger guys, we're still going to lose. But, they can either potentially gain valuable experience moving forward or.....I can break their confidence as the meat grinder portion of the schedule is now here.

I think this is some of what's going on

As much as I think Mauer/Shrout QB’s are the future, I would be reluctant to start them against Georgia or Alabama. They’re too young to have PTSD.
You can play them AND prevent "PTSD". Prepare them hard, but let them know what the expectations are and KEEP IT SIMPLE and realistic. Go play hard. Have fun. And we'll learn from playing the best and move forward. ****ING RALLY the team around the youngster!!! REBOOT!! Play loose. NOBODY expects anything more than 100% effort.

Serious question: who is left on our schedule do you believe we have at least a slight chance of beating?

Vanderbilt and UAB. Not saying whether Tennessee wins or loses, but those they can win.

They have no shot against Alabama and Georgia. Any given Saturday shot against Missouri and South Carolina. We always beat Kentucky shot against Kentucky. But, Kentucky is on the road and I wouldn't pick this team to win on the road.

Every now and then during the baseball season, a starting pitcher is getting abused and the manager doesn't get anyone ready in the bullpen.

It's a 162 game season and the manager has decided the game is lost and he's not going to add innings to his bullpen in a game that has been lost. So, the starter is left to take one for the team.

If I play the current personnel, we're going to lose. But, I potentially protect the confidence of the other guys.

If I play the younger guys, we're still going to lose. But, they can either potentially gain valuable experience moving forward or.....I can break their confidence as the meat grinder portion of the schedule is now here.

If we are worried about confidence of younger guys then we recruited the wrong guys.

More than likely Pruitt is just at a loss on what to do and is in over his head.

Vanderbilt and UAB. Not saying whether Tennessee wins or loses, but those they can win.

They have no shot against Alabama and Georgia. Any given Saturday shot against Missouri and South Carolina. We always beat Kentucky shot against Kentucky. But, Kentucky is on the road and I wouldn't pick this team to win on the road.
I agree with no shot against Alabama and Georgia. IMO Missouri need to be added to that list as well. I think we have the best shot against four teams in this order: UAB, Vandy, Miss. State, and Kentucky. We could lose them all or win them all along with a big upset. My belief is that if we lose to Miss. State, we will see Pruitt make a permanent QB change. He is still clinging to the possibility of a bowl; therefore, we are seeing the QB that gives us the best chance to win now instead of prepping for the future.

If we are worried about confidence of younger guys then we recruited the wrong guys.

More than likely Pruitt is just at a loss on what to do and is in over his head.
We are already playing the younger guys. Some guys don’t get recruited to play immediately, they get recruited for their potential. To’oto’o is the exception not the rule. Pruitt isn’t necessarily in over his head, that’s yet to be determined. We just have bad players mixed with good players. Most of the bad players are upper class men and know they are probably playing regardless. They have sec experience, even if that experience is negative.

Reactions: amorange
Wait till after the gauntlet and then get only younger players in and those who want it. No use getting the future hurt in the crusher. After the bubbas, play everyone you can the encourage about half of the jrs to hit the portal at year end.

Theres not really a dilemma at this point. He took a terrible situation to fix and somehow made it harder to do.

Ga St and BYU put him in a terrible position. He has lost the majority of support he had. He has put his tenure here in a precarious spot. He has nothing to lose at this point but a job.

Thank the lowered we have such intelligent gator residents to teach us all about life and the feetballs.

Enjoy, it was tl;Dr for me.

Reactions: jeff1vol
Pruitt is not over his head.Choosing experience and last year as an expectation,Pruitt went with Guarantano.Now at 1-3,Pruitt sees that JG has regressed severely,and he has to go to Mauer or Strout.Seeing "Q" in for the short yardage was encouraging.Now he (Pruitt),needs to go tough in the secondary.

Reactions: OrangeTsar

No one cares what your opinion is. Go back to your lame Gator board.

Well said. It is always that way with the younger players. It depends on the personality of the younger players and the expectations the coaches put on them. I believe he will start JG for Georgia and Alabama. Probably start BM or JT for the remainder.

Reactions: VolFaninFla

This is dead on. My only exception is that our main fatal deficiency is QB play. The other deficiencies can be rectified with adjustments. Guarantano is a great guy who doesn't understand defenses or see the whole field.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter anymore. No matter who we eventually hire we are destined to fail. There is no hope, only misery.

VN Store

Back