The difference between Kellie and Holly

That’s fair, but I don’t think there is any reason to have a thread comparing them in the first place. My comment was in jest.

Agree the thread is unnecessary and I suspect created to bring out the Holly haters - the folks who make the (sometimes really brutal) personal digs that have nothing to do with what was happening. I hate I even commented in it.

I wish the thread could have been "The difference between this year's team and recent years." Or "The improved Lady Vols." (I think we've had those threads).

I agree that a lot of time has been spent bashing former coaches and that it can quickly get out of hand...and, besides being uncharitable and mean, it is unproductive from a practical standpoint. Assuming that some recruits (and family and friends) ever take a peek to see what the fan base is like, it sends an ugly image, especially with the really personal comments having nothing to do with coaching. I think the members have done a pretty good job refraining from too much anti-H comments since the change was made, and it would be nice to see it stay that way.

When a coach doesn't succeed to expectations, it is up to the athletic department and administration to make a change. It's a rarity that coaches voluntarily step aside even if they truly recognize that they're not getting the job done. Mistakes were made, a change was instituted, and now it's time to move on. Let's agree that the change was necessary and not let the most recent experience throw away all the good things Holly did as athlete and assistant.

When we talk about positives and improvement we see, by implication we understand that it's a reflection on the prior staff. That should be enough criticism, IMO, and I'm sure it hurts to some degree. We can still wish all former Vol coaches well in future endeavors unless they deliberately, intentionally did something then or now to hurt our programs.

Very well put! Also note the original poster’s handle and the fact that they have made no further comments. 🤔 I’m pretty sure I know the intention of this thread. Nobody seemed to be going for it at first and then someone had to make a derogatory comment. 😑

She brought relevance to women's sports...otherwise what he has done would be irrelevant

Why the need for such hyperbole?

If you wanted to make the argument that Pat Summitt did more than any other single person to raise the stature of women's basketball, I'd echo the claim.

But your statement suggests that the contributions of those who came before her are meaningless, not to mention the presumption that women's basketball is the only woman's sport or that Pat Summitt was somehow responsible for relevance of tennis, softball, volleyball etc.

Read:
Timeline of women's basketball - Wikipedia

And see how many entries there are prior to Pat becoming a coach.

Pat did an incredible amount, but like Newton, she stood on the shoulders of those who came before her such as Nera White and Wayland Baptist and many, many more.

Reactions: Creekdog
Who?
Sorry but until you did research and wrote out those names,,I'd never heard of them.
I'm not diminishing their work,,,but until Pat came onto the scene women's collegiate BB was a well kept secret

It is very likely that after this season, the Holly beatdown will diminish. Sadly tho, it's totally to be expected this year. Of course the new regime is going to be compared to the old. I feel very bad about Holly's sad Peter Principle fate but of course we're going to look for every scintilla of improvement over her reign.

IMO, there has been tangible improvement, most notably in the areas of focus and chemistry. Still a long way to go, especially in decision making and ball security, but we finally seem to be headed in the right direction instead of careening toward the bottom of the barrel.

About "the shot", of course it was a desperation heave, anyone denying that totally lives in a fantasy world. Oh wait, some here do dwell in Land LA LA where these posts actually influence recruits and the staff debates whether to reach out for their expert input. Sorry forgot for a minute.

Maybe practicing the game winning heave, as everyone who's ever played the game does, helped make it happen but the fact remains it was a disaster of a last play. I'm assuming the intent was put the ball in the hands of your best player and let her work. Unfortunately, Davis' biggest flaw, her hesitancy, made that a bad call. Not a crazy one, just the wrong one, even tho we got lucky. A better one, as pointed out upthread, would have been to involve all five and maybe get the ball inside. Perfect hindsight, I know.

I think teams often wait way too long on these plays to actually initiate a move toward scoring. I get that you don't want to give the other team too much time after you score, but if there are five seconds left and you're still diddling 30 feet away you're probably going to lose. IMO the move toward the basket should start with about 6 secs left and the shot goes up with about 3. That way there's a chance for a rebound and putback, but not enough for a quality play for the opposition if you score.

I hope, and believe, after the fun and celebration of the last shot subsides, the takeaway is we need to address the malfunction of the last chance play.

Overall, decision making is the big bugaboo I see left to conquer. Most of our many turnovers are directly attributable to just poor choices; overpassing, hesitating, or bulling forward when pulling up would do. It is a very young team but during the second half of the season I expect to see tangible improvement in this area, especially for Horston. Tonight would be a great time to start.

Thank you for your thoughtful and articulate take as always ! I always enjoy reading your posts and have missed them lately . Where ya been ?

PS as I said earlier I witnessed UConn playing lowly u of Memphis last week ( who almost beat them), and a win tonight over UConn is not out of reach at all. We can do this .
GLV!

Reactions: glv98
I like that rule from 1916-1968, no coaching from the sideline.
I wonder how Coach Jumper would hold up if that was a present day rule? (Just kidding)

Reactions: Eric Viesturs
Watching the last game, the only difference is the final shot went in. The total meltdown in the closing minutes was vintage Hollyball and a reminder of how she lost the last 5 in a row to an inferior team. Fortunately we had Kellie this time to draw up the 30 foot heave for the win...

There is no significant difference so far between this season and last season.

UT has no significant wins this season, and were extremely Lucky to escape with a win at Home against Bammer.

Last edited:
What’s brutal or funny about it? For someone who’s such an expert on women’s basketball surely you’re not oblivious to the fact that a lot of women in basketball “don’t like men.”
Chill... chill it was just a joke. By the way we all wish you well Holly.

It's not fair to compare Kellie to Pat either as many on this forum do. What are such posters going to do with that if Kellie fails?

unfortunately,,,compare her to that other UT LV coach

I like that rule from 1916-1968, no coaching from the sideline.
I wonder how Coach Jumper would hold up if that was a present day rule? (Just kidding)

How much rrom is there under the basket?

There is no significant difference so far between this season and last season.

UT has no significant wins this season, and were extremely Lucky to escape with a win at Home against Bammer.

If you can;t see a difference in this team v all of CHW's....YOU AIN'T LOOKING

Reactions: Memvol44
Failure is not an option.
I surely hope not. Tonight's game will be a challenge and an opportunity, a real measuring stick to gauge progress. Win or lose I hope the LVs are not intimidated and play hard with fundamentally sound basketball. This game, regardless of the outcome, is good for the ladies in orange.

Holly was and will always be more accomplished as a Lady Vol than any poster, hate jokes about her sexuality, are as offensive, to secure people, as are black jokes. Holly was an excellent recruiter, and our first retired Basketball player male, female, gay, straight, or bisexual. Love to Miss Holly!

Reactions: lvocd and T_Vol376
New record set by Kellie's coaching: Lowest number of second half points ever for TN Lady Vols. I had hoped we were through with the negative record setting. So disappointed with the team's second half play. Geno made good adjustments at halftime.

. . . to everything in half a season. But look at the trainwreck she started with. IMO there's been enough improvement so far to buy her some more time. Ball handling and consistent composure must get better by tourney time though.

That's what I meant, They're good cars, just off the track...they just need The right words

VN Store

Back