C-south
Well-Known Member
- Joined
- Sep 15, 2018
- Messages
- 32,141
- Likes
- 56,513
Judge says Justice Department failed to make case for Abrego Garcia’s detention ahead of criminal trial
"...But as she ruled in Abrego Garcia’s favor, Magistrate Judge Barbara Holmes of the federal court in Nashville said Sunday that “the government failed to prove” so far that he endangered any minor victim, might try to flee from the law or might attempt to obstruct justice, as the Justice Department had argued. She noted that under federal criminal law, the Justice Department hadn’t even shown it had enough evidence to hold a hearing seeking his pretrial detention.
Garcia is likely to remain in federal custody, because immigration authorities will be able to keep him detained separate from his criminal case. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Holmes’ opinion is still a notable one, building upon six hours of evidence and testimony regarding Abrego Garcia’s detention earlier this month, in what amounted to a preview of what may be evidence used at a trial.
Holmes’ 51-page ruling essentially deems some DOJ accusations about Abrego Garcia to be overblown — built upon evidence with questionable reliability from a traffic stop, cooperators in the case providing information to law enforcement through hearsay, and a shaky theory of victimizing children in a human-smuggling operation when that has not been charged or proved by the DOJ, the judge wrote."
Looking more and more like the previous Federal Prosecutor who resigned over this did so for good reason. Politics not the proper application of the law.
Remember, the "crime" he committed was so heinous that the LEOs just let him drive away.
Lol. So they will release him and immediately detain him into custody again.
