The D-Line thread that gives some clarity

DefenseWins

Beating Florida this year
I have seen.... well let’s face it... way too much misconception on the D-Line. First, losing Gooden sucks period anytime you lose a starter it’s not a fun time.

However, the truth is we will be in a 3-4 about 25-30% of the time so Simmons should have enough to fill that gap. One misconception is that we just need beef in the NT position and while beef is good it actually can harm you. #94 for Alabama last year and #42 from Clemson gives you a picture of how you can have different body types and still get the job done. What makes Simmons so intriguing is his nimbleness along with his power.

So we will be in a 4-2-5 about 40-50% of the time which means you don’t have to have a true nose (as in the 3-4 body type guy) your true dude in a 4 DL set is the 3 technique for a whole lot of reasons. So guys like Williams and Middleton could give you a 4-2 nose guy... also they have sub packages in the 4–2 called rabbits which gives you some LB’s as DE’s and gets DE’s from the 3-4 set as interior linemen....

The whole point being not having Gooden sucks but it’s far from the end of the world... heck you can have a guy like Middleton that is longer and has heavy hands to play nose in a 3-4 like a Malik Jackson for the jags (or wherever he is)

I’m not making this thread because I know it all but the amount I do know suggests we are freaking out a little bit too much... I know VN freaking out!?!?!? .....never

Well nobody knows just how much he’ll be missed but we do know dline was a positional need for us....so of course we’d lose our most experienced one the first day of practice.
I honestly believe fulmer sold his soul to the devil for that championship. Science can’t explain how much bad juju one program can experience.

giphy.gif

I have seen.... well let’s face it... way too much misconception on the D-Line. First, losing Gooden sucks period anytime you lose a starter it’s not a fun time.

However, the truth is we will be in a 3-4 about 25-30% of the time so Simmons should have enough to fill that gap. One misconception is that we just need beef in the NT position and while beef is good it actually can harm you. #94 for Alabama last year and #42 from Clemson gives you a picture of how you can have different body types and still get the job done. What makes Simmons so intriguing is his nimbleness along with his power.

So we will be in a 4-2-5 about 40-50% of the time which means you don’t have to have a true nose (as in the 3-4 body type guy) your true dude in a 4 DL set is the 3 technique for a whole lot of reasons. So guys like Williams and Middleton could give you a 4-2 nose guy... also they have sub packages in the 4–2 called rabbits which gives you some LB’s as DE’s and gets DE’s from the 3-4 set as interior linemen....

The whole point being not having Gooden sucks but it’s far from the end of the world... heck you can have a guy like Middleton that is longer and has heavy hands to play nose in a 3-4 like a Malik Jackson for the jags (or wherever he is)

I’m not making this thread because I know it all but the amount I do know suggests we are freaking out a little bit too much... I know VN freaking out!?!?!? .....never

Please don’t bring up Wilkins or Williams and try to compare them to anyone on our roster. We don’t have anyone half as talented as either of those guys. Specifically Williams. He’s a freak. Yes undersized NG can work, but there’s a reason 90% of NG are 6’3 and under and 320lbs+ in the NFL.

We have great sized replacements for the DL and they are stronger and better athletes compared to last year's starters. But and it's a big But: we have just about zero experience returning. The first 4-5 games will be very challenging for our DL to get spun up.

Please don’t bring up Wilkins or Williams and try to compare them to anyone on our roster. We don’t have anyone half as talented as either of those guys. Specifically Williams. He’s a freak. Yes undersized NG can work, but there’s a reason 90% of NG are 6’3 and under and 320lbs+ in the NFL.
Maybe you should read it again... I was saying that having two body comps that are equally as dominant so it’s very possible to win multiple ways not comparing anyone to that...

Then you never understood the reason to freak out to begin with.
That was kinda the point of the thread... people had some misconceptions and was trying to help them understand it’s not as bad as they are being told... obviously I don’t ha w all the answers just wanted to share the little I know.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I'm not freaking out... However, does anyone think we will get through the whole season without more injuries to the DL, and possibly losing at least one more guy for the season? It seems like no matter how many good to great recruiting classes we have, we're always scrambling to find bodies and our players are gassed halfway through the season.

It's a never-ending cycle of trying to catch up, and at some point, throwing inexperienced players into the fire should become a luxury during garbage time rather than a necessity if this program is ever to turn the corner.

Reactions: 08Vol
I'm not freaking out... However, does anyone think we will get through the whole season without more injuries to the DL, and possibly losing at least one more guy for the season? It seems like no matter how many good to great recruiting classes we have, we're always scrambling to find bodies and our players are gassed halfway through the season.

It's a never-ending cycle of trying to catch up, and at some point, throwing inexperienced players into the fire should become a luxury during garbage time rather than a necessity if this program is ever to turn the corner.
No I’m sure we will lose at least one more in season... it’s unavoidable. However the team is as healthy as it’s been in the past 5-6 years... Pruitt and Co takes care of the players

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Simmons has practiced for one week, not even scrimmaged yet...he seems like hes gonna be a player, but let's be measured in our expectations that he'll be capable of 30% of the reps....I'm hoping he'll be a contributor, but let's not raise the bar for an 18 year old trying to make his way as an SEC run stopper

Reactions: 08Vol
I don't think Simmons is going to play very much unless more injuries occur. FR don't do very well at his position. He's talented but extremely raw and inexperienced vs good competition. He'll get snaps but I doubt it's more than 5-10 a game.

Reactions: keenobserver

VN Store

Back