The Culture problem with TN football

I'm a military officer and have been serving for 25 years. I've had years and years of professional development and leadership training. From what I've seen Coach Pruitt is doing everything right. He yells/gives criticism in private (this year), something he learned and always backs his players and coaches in public. He takes all the blame for everything which is also a great leadership trait. If you watch any of the practice highlights you see him right down there getting in the weeds too. You want to see your leaders down there helping and encouraging vs always barking orders (out of a microphone, U hmm). He's also addressing the right things. He recognizes the culture problem and was one of the first things he addressed, that's smart.

Thanks for your service. I was an officer for 8 years and I read this book recently. It was such a powerful reminder of what true leaders do, not just say, as you’ve outlined. I think we have growing pains but a good leader will get us there.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
I'm going to read this. I came across this TEDx where the author speaks on the subject and it's so good. They should show this to everyone on the team and have Jocko come and speak to them (maybe even yell at them at practice, lol).

$100k to get them in the door. Steep but UT can afford it. Lol! You won’t regret reading this.

The culture problem is we are a middle of the road average program and have been for some time.

We are the old high school cool kid who peaked in high school, and now sits in the bar at 300 lbs and still thinks he is the young stud he once was.

We are 56-60 the last decade.

We were 83-43 in the 2000's.

We have a top notch crazy fan base and an average football program that has been trending down for 10 years.

The culture problem here is that the majority of our fan base really believe the glory days of 98 are coming back!

VN Store

Back