The Culture problem with TN football

Sure, there is a culture problem.m, and yes, it will take time to bring In different players. The question is whether Pruitt has been able to a good job rallying what he has. I say, no. I’ve seen great coaches change culture and change it fast. He probably should have gotten rid of more players early on.
I'd really be interested in seeing what his pre-game and post game speeches to his players are like.

I agree with you except the podunk town in the middle of nowhere. Upstate SC, Clemson, Greeneville etc is fantastic.
I lived in Greenville for over 10yrs. Clemson isn't a short drive. It is indeed situated in a small town out in the book-docks. Now I haven't been back in that area in 5 or so years, maybe it's grown.

That is problem #1. I blame the everyone is a winner generation. That attitude breeds failure imho. ANd when added to learning to be a head coach it’s compounded.I do believe he gets it done tho

...and Bama and Georgia must be playing with 50 y/o dudes then. Away with this generational garbage.

Trust me. I do to. We are going to a game in a few weeks and it’s gonna kill me to see all those guys that were committed to Tennessee out there tearing it up.
Trevor's the biggest heartbreak of them all. Also that 5* receiver that came from oak ridge highschool. Can't remember his name at the moment, was just upset at the time when he committed to them.

There was one key sentence in that article that made the most sense to me. "Until we see a team full of just Pruitt's players we won't know what kind of coach he really is". Right now ifs 50/50 with Jones/Pruitt players. I think next year the tide will start to turn. I know its always next year with TN but it takes time to rebuild in the SEC that's just a fact.

Read “Extreme Ownership” and you will find it a blue print for what an accountable leader should be. I’m willing to bet CJP is doing the right things and it will show over time. Can’t fix everything in a couple years.

I'm going to read this. I came across this TEDx where the author speaks on the subject and it's so good. They should show this to everyone on the team and have Jocko come and speak to them (maybe even yell at them at practice, lol).

I lived in Greenville for over 10yrs. Clemson isn't a short drive. It is indeed situated in a small town out in the book-docks. Now I haven't been back in that area in 5 or so years, maybe it's grown.
Ive spent alot of time in Upstate and love it. Went to Clemson 2 years ago......small college town was very nice. Love the veterans memorial they have outside their stadium.

I like the way you talk OP.

here was one key sentence in that article that made the most sense to me. "Until we see a team full of just Pruitt's players we won't know what kind of coach he really is". Right now ifs 50/50 with Jones/Pruitt players. I think next year the tide will start to turn. I know its always next year with TN but

This^

Reactions: memtownvol
Clemson is a really nice place. That area has really grown the past 10 years. Amazing how much success with a football program and pump money into an area. Too bad our administration doesn’t understand that.....oh wait, they don’t have to, we could go 0-12 every season and people would still lay down the dollars and say “thank you!” Lol
Football has helped but the job market in that whole area is fantastic.

Ive spent alot of time in Upstate and love it. Went to Clemson 2 years ago......small college town was very nice. Love the veterans memorial they have outside their stadium.
Yeah Greenville area is nice. Never ventured into clemson much. Went to a game once back in 2004 and a dorm party a few yrs prior. Have driven through a few times, don't remember much being there. I imagine with the schools success they've had businesses are probably booming. Have you ever eaten at copper river grill in Greenville?

The culture problem at UT is systemic. It's like an autoimmune disease. UT attacks itself from the inside. This happens via several channels, a few being:

- Meddling boosters... some have cut a wide swath for themselves and it impacts many areas, athletics being one of them
- Identity crisis... we are not a "football school" the way we once were but still act like one, yet we're not an "serious" academic institution but the faculty side wants to be one
- Institutional backbiting... turnover at the top has been of satirical proportions, from presidents to chancellors to AD's; combine this with the academic opposition to the athletics programs and it's not a healthy place

This just scratches the surface, but the problems here are far deeper than a coach or a team's mentality. There's a whole lot more to fix here than the "right coach" or fixing "team culture."

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Yeah Greenville area is nice. Never ventured into clemson much. Went to a game once back in 2004 and a dorm party a few yrs prior. Have driven through a few times, don't remember much being there. I imagine with the schools success they've had businesses are probably booming. Have you ever eaten at copper river grill in Greenville?
No, but illl be going through in November hopefully, so ill look it up..

I'm fully on board with giving Pruitt a few more years, no matter the outcome this season. I understand they're not identical situations, but I can't help but think of the time Dabo has been given at Clemson. This program was in shambles when Pruitt took over. This rebuild will take some time.

But I am the same sheep that didn't give up on Butch until 2016 South Carolina.

I'm fully on board with giving Pruitt a few more years, no matter the outcome this season. I understand they're not identical situations, but I can't help but think of the time Dabo has been given at Clemson. This program was in shambles when Pruitt took over. This rebuild will take some time.

But I am the same sheep that didn't give up on Butch until 2016 South Carolina.
I gave up on Butch after the app st game. How he had not improved that good 15 class enough to beat them handily is beyond me. I'll give Pruitt time to develop his players and flip his roster and see what happens.

I gave up on Butch after the app st game. How he had not improved that good 15 class enough to beat them handily is beyond me. I'll give Pruitt time to develop his players and flip his roster and see what happens.

I was even sheeping it up after that game. Obviously I was very concerned with the performances through the first five games, but we were winning so I overlooked them.

I was even sheeping it up after that game. Obviously I was very concerned with the performances through the first five games, but we were winning so I overlooked them.
Yeah, gotta admit that epic comeback win over fl sparked my optimism again, then well, we know how the rest of the season unfolded.

The effects of social media and technology on this generation is absolutely a "generational issue". Facts are kids/teenagers/young adults aren't as actively participating in organized sports. Youth leagues are dying all over the country which is why more and more players are playing AAU. Many players today simply do not want to put forth the effort it takes to be successful. It has gotten worse over the last 10-15 years or so. It isn't just a problem a UT but it is magnified at UT when the results on the field suck as bad as they have.

As more information comes out about CTE and the long term effects parents are keeping their kids out of contact sports, especially at a young age. A lot of retired NFL players have stated they don’t want their children to play football due to CTE risk.

I was at a park/sports complex last week and saw a football game with kids under 10. They were playing full tackle, helmets banging into each other. That kind of activity is horrible for a developing brain. Tackle football shouldn’t be played until 8th grade at the earliest.

Those first five weeks of the season were the most fun I've had as a fan in a very long time.
They were. I remember all the "who is our team" threads. We didnt know if we were good or bad. Every week was the same "next game will tell us more". I came to the conclusion we were good, Butch just couldn't coach a game to save his life.

Reactions: amishvol
That is problem #1. I blame the everyone is a winner generation. That attitude breeds failure imho. ANd when added to learning to be a head coach it’s compounded.I do believe he gets it done tho

If you were born in the 60s, 70s, or early 80s then this is your fault.

Reactions: Booker512

VN Store

Back