The Coffee Thread

If anyone lives in or close to Murfreesboro, you gotta go by Just Love. They roast all their own beans there and I’ve never had better beans or coffee.

Last edited:
Just got an aeropress today. Excited to try it in the morning.

Might take a few times to get the mix/time to your liking.

I use coffee to just over the black screw on lid - fill the water to 4, stir for 10 seconds (water leaks down to 3) then use the plunger relatively quickly.

Love it

Reactions: DEFENDTHISHOUSE
Might take a few times to get the mix/time to your liking.

I use coffee to just over the black screw on lid - fill the water to 4, stir for 10 seconds (water leaks down to 3) then use the plunger relatively quickly.

Love it

Tried it this morning. Loved it. I got it to make a cheap but good Expresso at home and today’s brew was really good.

For those of you making your own cold brew. What is your ground coffee to water ratio. Or do you use whole bean oz - water.

I think I will try 2 cups then grind with 64oz water

Last edited:
Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. The real stuff, not the blends.

I guess what I get at Costco is a blend but it's my go to coffee.

517JtAKsh5L._SX466_.jpg

Cold brew is just okay. Used crappy private select ethiopian. Doesn't have the flavor I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Went on travel for work. Will be away from home for 17 days. Bought a burr grinder and an aeropress.

Going to have to go out in search of a local roaster tomorrow.

For those of you making your own cold brew. What is your ground coffee to water ratio. Or do you use whole bean oz - water.

I think I will try 2 cups then grind with 64oz water

That should be plenty. I probably use a little over a cup in maybe 56 oz of water. I don't dilute with water though, just milk and and an aerolatte hand blender.

Seriously guys..... have any of y'all ever had the cat poo coffee beans coffee..... there's also monkey poo.... supposed to be very good but I'm not drinking it

You should catch a possum ... I bet a possum would eat coffee beans.

If a Tennessee possum, maybe coffee beans and cornbread.

Have to say, been using the aeropress for almost a week now and I love it. I usually take one shot of Expresso to jumpstart my morning and throw the rest in some milk and ice. My mornings have been very productive and no crash after lunch.

Time to revive this thread! I have questions. I enjoy medium roast coffee, and I brew 32 oz of fresh ground coffee in my french press every morning. I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm always looking for recommendations for coffee flavors/brands that are similar to what I like. So I'll share some of the stuff I've been drinking and see if any of you can point me to other good options...

Favorite(s):
- Sunergos Blend B - local Louisville, KY roaster, award winning coffee

- Volcanica Guatamala Antigua
- Koffee Kult Medium Roast
- Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger/Three Sisters
- Real Good Coffee Co Donut Shop Medium Roast

I should also point out that I typically choose coffees that are good value for the cost, so I don't typically splurge for expensive coffees...

What do you like that might be similar?

Thanks!

I'm a Medium/Light Roast guy myself. I brew with Chemex pour over. Grind with a Baratza Encore Coffee Grinder.

Some of my favorites -
Revelator Coffee
Seeds Coffee (local to Birmingham, but they do wholesale)
Whole Foods usually carries good local coffee products (Counter Culture, Perc Coffee)

If you wanna splurge on something a little pricier, these are my favorites-
Passenger Coffee (Lancaster, PA)
Huck Coffee (Denver, CO)
Onyx Coffee (Arkansas)
Lexington Coffee Roasters (Lexington, VA)

Reactions: WarMachine
Nice, thanks for replying! I'll check into those suggestions. It is always daunting when you go onto amazon and there are hundreds of choices and who knows if anything is good...

I'm probably the most spoiled guy you'll find. I've made friends with the guys that run a coffee shop here in Cusco. They source all their beans from farmers living on the mountainsides 6 hours away as you descend to the Amazon. The altitude and microclimates that exist there are perfect for growing coffee.

Last April I drove us out there to see how the plants are planted, cared for, harvested, and processed. We were literally on the far fringes of humanity and it was gorgeous. Everything they do is organic out of necessity to be so. It was also cool to see how they tweaked the growing conditions or drying process to achieve different notes of flavors within the varieties of beans they grew. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had here.

Needless to say the coffee is among the best I've ever had. Every time I come back to the States I usually end up bringing about 10 kilos of it for family since they love it soon much.

I'm probably the most spoiled guy you'll find. I've made friends with the guys that run a coffee shop here in Cusco. They source all their beans from farmers living on the mountainsides 6 hours away as you descend to the Amazon. The altitude and microclimates that exist there are perfect for growing coffee.

Last April I drove us out there to see how the plants are planted, cared for, harvested, and processed. We were literally on the far fringes of humanity and it was gorgeous. Everything they do is organic out of necessity to be so. It was also cool to see how they tweaked the growing conditions or drying process to achieve different notes of flavors within the varieties of beans they grew. It was one of the coolest experiences I've had here.

Needless to say the coffee is among the best I've ever had. Every time I come back to the States I usually end up bringing about 10 kilos of it for family since they love it soon much.

What are you doing in Cusco.

I've found that most of the roasters in Lima aren't as good as even ones I find here in the US, even though they've obviously got nice fresh supply. It's like Limeños all prefer the Charbucks style, so that's what roasters do.

Nice to know there's good stuff in Cusco, next time I go I'll search it out. My wife made me buy a Peruvian-style coffee maker last time we were there. This reminds me that I need to bust it back out.

VN Store

Back