The coaching search revisited

Remember when UT ran off Schiano (a proven coach) to get a Saban disciple????

UGA is beginning to see that, like Muschamp & Pruitt, Saban guys can recruit but they have difficulty developing talent.
Schiano isn’t a proven coach 🙄

UGA is beginning to see that, like Muschamp & Pruitt, Saban guys can recruit but they have difficulty developing talent.

And Saban disciples are stuck being like “old Saban” in terms of offense. Saban’s early years at Bama were strict pro-style offenses, run heavy, run first, control the clock, pass only when necessary, win time of possession. Credit to him, he changed completely because he saw what was coming with these high-powered, spread you out, chunk it all over the place offenses. And he joined in, now Bama throws it all over the lot too.

But for some reason, guys like Kirby and Muschamp and Pruitt still wanna follow the early years Saban approach. Muschamp is kinda, sorta trying to get into the high powered offenses but he’s clearly doing it begrudgingly and only because he thinks he has to. Kirby and Pruitt don’t even seem to be trying.

No, but I remember not hiring Schiano, who has never refuted another man’s sworn testimony that Schiano knew of child sexual assault in the training facility and never reported it. I remember that.

And Im fine going 0-10 if that is the alternative to employing that person.

That's a lot of mental masturbation and most of it isn't true. We could find the right coach for this job. It's simple, you find an experienced head coach who has been successful in power 5 and has won above his talent level. I don't want coordinators who have never been head coaches, especially coordinators at the best programs like Bama. They have no resume to justify hiring them. PJ Fleck would be a great hire. The guy is winning at Minnesota!!

Reactions: Orange_Scooter
Let’s rewind the clock a little.

• How quickly we forget. The last coaching search was a mess from the get go. It resulted in an AD getting fired and Fulmer having to come to the rescue in the first place.
  • The hires from that year have been an epic fail. The “A” list were Chip Kelly and Scott Frost. I’ll cut Frost some slack because I think he had more work to do than anyone else, but it’s still a fail at this point. Dan Mullen was largely viewed as a shoulder shrug hire. Not bad, but not all that great either. Jimbo has had some success and A&M has gotten better every year. The only guy to win a championship at this point…..Mario Cristobal. Yep, Cristobal. But, there are a lot of Willie Taggarts in that group.
  • I think people need to remember what a home run hire is at this point. Once in a blue moon, you have a guy build a dominant program at a doormat. But, that’s extremely rare. You’re normal “home run hire” is a guy like Matt Campbell who hasn’t won anything, but has done as well or better than anyone else who’s coached where he is. Campbell isn’t going to win the Big XII, so judging him that way is not fair. IMO, this is the kind of candidate you need to look for. A head coach, with experience, who has overperformed where he is even if the results don’t appear to be spectacular on the surface. He's 40 years old. He's been a head coach at 2 places. His first head coaching gig was at 32 years old.

Pruitt has failed, IMO. But, why would I pass judgment that way? Is it because he hasn’t won a championship? No. Is it because he’s 0-8 against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama? No.

He has failed because he has not separated Tennessee from the “other” pack out there in the league. By failing to do that, Tennessee did not go bowling in 2018. They robbed themselves of a better bowl in 2019. What bowl do they go to at 9-3 instead of 7-5? And they are going to fail to go to a bowl game this year. That isn’t because of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. That’s because of Vanderbilt, Georgia State, BYU, Kentucky and Arkansas.

At this point, they were supposed to be clearly better than the also rans of the league and they aren’t. The other obvious thing is to start naming things Tennessee does really well or does at the level they need to. I can’t think of any.

But, the reality is the “home run hire” is a fantasy, not just at Tennessee, but everywhere.

JMO
While I think your points are valid - there are a few exceptions to that rule - which is why you need to have an AD and administration who recognize that there are only a couple of real " double or triple " hires out there and if you don't capture them before everyone else jumps on them, you have the potential to be ruined for years. Campbell, Freeze, Kiffin have the ability to turn programs around and have demonstrated that. You can bet that we will not act to move on a new coach until after the cows have all left the barn and any decent candidates are no longer available.

We will not act and so we are screwed for years to come ... it's a cluster and will continue to be one I am afraid.

Scott Frost hasn’t had success at Nebraska for much of the same reason he wouldn’t have had success at Tennessee. Both are flawed programs. There is something deeply internally wrong within the UT Athletic Department. Much is probably true at Nebraska.

Nebraska has an excuse with the recruiting. UT has none and something stinks real bad with the UT administration.

Reactions: Volatility
Freeze is probably at the top of a lot of lists. I actually think Brady, the ex OC of LSU, would be a nice hire if paired with a veteran DC who can recruit, like Muschamp when he gets fired. That LSU turn around speaks for itself.
We absolutely, positively cannot afford another gamble hire. Any coach without HC experience, and significant success, is a gamble. Four gambles in a row is how we got where we are now.

What has Lane done at ole miss?
he has lost to Florida, Bama by 3 TDS or more
He lost to Arkansas by 2 TDs
He’s lost to Auburn
He’s beaten South Carolina and Vandy
He beat Uk by 1 pt after they missed two chip shot FGs

The UK game is the only difference between what he and Pruitt has accomplished on the field. And I think Pruitt has underachieved as well
You do realize Kiffin is in year one and Pruitt is in year three, and Pruitt has ten times the amount of talent Kiffin does to work with? It's disingenuous to even compare the two.

That's a lot of mental masturbation and most of it isn't true. We could find the right coach for this job. It's simple, you find an experienced head coach who has been successful in power 5 and has won above his talent level. I don't want coordinators who have never been head coaches, especially coordinators at the best programs like Bama. They have no resume to justify hiring them. PJ Fleck would be a great hire. The guy is winning at Minnesota!!

Except for this year...Now 1-3, and has not looked good at all...

The big miss was Mullins. We didn't close the deal which allowed Florida to creep in and steal him away. It would have been less likely to happen had we already signed him. I think he was actually in Knoxville to sign his contract when Florida finally decided to make a change and contacted him. He was a proven coach in the SEC. That was the right call. Then we fell into the same routine we had in previous searches because like the other searches we had no plan B. Dooley, Jones and Pruitt all ended up being plan B options that were not even an option to start.

Ultimately, Pruitt has to be given time, "his" recruits are still growing and are basically Freshmen and Sophomores. You can't count that first recruiting class because he didn't get hired in time to have any chance to really recruit his guys. He had to settle on Jones' recruits that stayed committed and whatever recruits were still available after the early signing date which saw most recruits sign during the early signing date. Once all of Jones' players are out of the system, we will see if he really can coach or not.

So, these first couple of years are the years where Pruitt learns to be a head coach so that once his players are ready to take off, he is ready too. These first few years will have its ups and downs and we have definitely seen that. After 12+ years of mediocrity at best between 4 different coaches, our fans will have to wait and be patient in the wake of the up and down results we are seeing now. Having CJPs recruits starting to finally be developed (Juniors), we will start having more depth built up.

For now and always, GBO!!!!

McElwain was fired about 2 weeks before Butch. UF didn't sneak in, they just acted faster.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Well, and someone posted a picture of Freeze.

That is the other category. The proven winner with baggage.

Freeze’s baggage I could live with (just watch the NCAA), but Briles I couldnt
Urban has been out of coaching a couple years. He is probaly ready to come back. He is a proven winner

Part of me still thinks Pruitt can become an elite HC. He has some of the foundational stuff elite HCs need. We THOUGHT we solved his major weakness by bringing in a seasoned, accomplished OC like Chaney in, but that isn’t panning out for whatever reason.

We missed our chances to get Mullen, we passed on Kiffin Part 2 and he won’t be an option for UT now (bc he won’t bail on them after a year considering how that went for him before) or in a few years (bc that means something didn’t work out at Ole Miss, leaving him a no-go for us).

My list if we had to start a coaching search tomorrow:

1- Urban Meyer
2- See #1

Pay him what he wants & have a STRONG compliance team keeping everything on the straight and narrow.

Let’s rewind the clock a little.

• How quickly we forget. The last coaching search was a mess from the get go. It resulted in an AD getting fired and Fulmer having to come to the rescue in the first place.
  • The hires from that year have been an epic fail. The “A” list were Chip Kelly and Scott Frost. I’ll cut Frost some slack because I think he had more work to do than anyone else, but it’s still a fail at this point. Dan Mullen was largely viewed as a shoulder shrug hire. Not bad, but not all that great either. Jimbo has had some success and A&M has gotten better every year. The only guy to win a championship at this point…..Mario Cristobal. Yep, Cristobal. But, there are a lot of Willie Taggarts in that group.
  • I think people need to remember what a home run hire is at this point. Once in a blue moon, you have a guy build a dominant program at a doormat. But, that’s extremely rare. You’re normal “home run hire” is a guy like Matt Campbell who hasn’t won anything, but has done as well or better than anyone else who’s coached where he is. Campbell isn’t going to win the Big XII, so judging him that way is not fair. IMO, this is the kind of candidate you need to look for. A head coach, with experience, who has overperformed where he is even if the results don’t appear to be spectacular on the surface. He's 40 years old. He's been a head coach at 2 places. His first head coaching gig was at 32 years old.

Pruitt has failed, IMO. But, why would I pass judgment that way? Is it because he hasn’t won a championship? No. Is it because he’s 0-8 against Florida, Georgia, and Alabama? No.

He has failed because he has not separated Tennessee from the “other” pack out there in the league. By failing to do that, Tennessee did not go bowling in 2018. They robbed themselves of a better bowl in 2019. What bowl do they go to at 9-3 instead of 7-5? And they are going to fail to go to a bowl game this year. That isn’t because of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. That’s because of Vanderbilt, Georgia State, BYU, Kentucky and Arkansas.

At this point, they were supposed to be clearly better than the also rans of the league and they aren’t. The other obvious thing is to start naming things Tennessee does really well or does at the level they need to. I can’t think of any.

But, the reality is the “home run hire” is a fantasy, not just at Tennessee, but everywhere.

JMO

The fact that most people on here can’t see Matt Campbell as a high-ceiling coach just accentuates why UT can’t hire a coach worth a d@mn.

Reactions: Volatility
Dudes, I’ll never forget. Never. I was stuck living in hotels overseas and That was my main entertainment.

Rutgers just lost to Illinois.

ILLINOIS!!!

Schiano’s record was padded by being in an easy conference when he was originally HC. I hope he’s learned a thing or two from the NFL/OSU, because he has an uphill battle.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back