The Case for Keeping Pruitt

here's what i think will happen:
Bailey is our starter for the remainder of the year. We may lose (likely), but it will at least give fans a LITTLE hope with a more unified team and Pruitt will keep his job one more year (thanks covid)

Pruitt will be the coach at least at the start of 2021 but will be very much on the hot seat

If things don't improve or work out next year, and if Fulmer can put on his big boy pants...they might go after Freeze (if he's still doing well and hasn't been hired at SC or Auburn by then)

More than likely though, we'll end up with a new head coach in 2022 - Butch "Cornbread" Dooley

He's not if Pruitt and Chaney get fired.

We're starting over from scratch if that happens. And the cycle will repeat.

Of course, let's be honest, 90% of the hoople-heads here would've fired Dabo Swinney, Nick Saban at Mich State, Barry Alvarez, Frank Beamer, etc. I don't know if Pruitt will figure things out or not, but it's so predictable watching people who praised Pruitt for his country charm 3 years ago, now make him out to be a retarded hillbilly. Indeed, I said that very thing would happen back in 2017.

But for me, as pissed as I am, I want to see 2021 with Bailey and / or Salter at QB, before making the final judgement.

Couldnt agree more..
I felt like it was a mistake hiring him (or any other apprentice) when CBJ was fired. However, i do hope we give him one more year to prove me wrong...and that is based mostly on getting a couple of recruits and seeing what he can do with a team that is 90 % his.

There will be no more excuses after 2021. No JG for everyone to blame, few CBJs players to "not buy in", no more new head coach excuses, the staff will have had multiple seasons together and most importantly COVID19 csnt be used as an excuse.

I like a lot of CJPs philosophy about football but i still have zero idea why ADPF looked at our program as a training ground for a head coach.

So i say give him one more season and if he doesnt have 10 wins in the bank after the bowl season...let him go.

All our best talent is Fr. and Soph.’s. If you want to read a really short book it’s titled, “Teams That Have Won in the SEC With Freshman and Sophomores.”

How many freshman have gotten significant playing time this season? How many sophomores have started who didn't get significant playing time last season?

Well your feelings don’t change the facts. Sorry.

We have a very experienced and talented offensive line. We brought back everyone on the defensive line. I'll concede we are young at linebacker. We brought back everyone in the secondary minus Warrior. A lot can be said about JG, but he is a 5th year senior who started a lot of games before this season. Our top two running backs played a ton last season. We admittedly have some new faces at wide receiver and tight end. We brought back everyone on special teams as well.

All in all, we're young at three positions. Three. Name me one me team in the country that isn't a little young/inexperienced at a couple of positions. This isn't about my feelings. That's just the way it is in college football. Just about everyone is young or inexperienced at a couple of positions. I mean this in the best way possible, and I definitely don't mean it personally towards you, but using youth as the excuse for this team's struggles is lazy.

We have a very experienced and talented offensive line. We brought back everyone on the defensive line. I'll concede we are young at linebacker. We brought back everyone in the secondary minus Warrior. A lot can be said about JG, but he is a 5th year senior who started a lot of games before this season. Our top two running backs played a ton last season. We admittedly have some new faces at wide receiver and tight end. We brought back everyone on special teams as well.

All in all, we're young at three positions. Three. Name me one me team in the country that isn't a little young/inexperienced at a couple of positions. This isn't about my feelings. That's just the way it is in college football. Just about everyone is young or inexperienced at a couple of positions. I mean this in the best way possible, and I definitely don't mean it personally towards you, but using youth as the excuse for this team's struggles is lazy.

There's a difference between being "young" because you have stand-out freshmen on your team, and being young out of necessity. I really hate saying this, but I just don't think our upper-classmen are that good. We returned our D-line, but we did not return our leading tackler, our leading rusher, and our all-sec safety.

If we're going to be any good in the near-future, it's going to be with production from our underclassmen, and, as Pruitt mentioned on his last PC, many of them have never had spring ball.

Let me put it this way... of our upper-classmen, which ones are you surprised aren't killing it on the field, with production and/or leadership?

There's a difference between being "young" because you have stand-out freshmen on your team, and being young out of necessity. I really hate saying this, but I just don't think our upper-classmen are that good. We returned our D-line, but we did not return our leading tackler, our leading rusher, and our all-sec safety.

If we're going to be any good in the near-future, it's going to be with production from our underclassmen, and, as Pruitt mentioned on his last PC, many of them have never had spring ball.

Let me put it this way... of our upper-classmen, which ones are you surprised aren't killing it on the field, with production and/or leadership?

Nobody on our defensive line is a standout, and I think we all recognized that coming into the season. Most were, however, playing solid football towards the end of last season. They've regressed. Our best linebacker has also regressed noticably.

As for your upperclassmen in the secondary: Coming into this season, Taylor and Thompson both had showed a lot of promise at corner, and Flowers had at safety when he hasn't been hurt. None have improved. In fact, there is an argument to be made that Taylor and Thompson have regressed. Shamburger was a very nice nickelback last season. Obviously something wasn't right there. Theo is a decent player, but is limited which begs the question why Doneiko Slaughter hasn't seen meaningful action on defense since the SC game?McCollough was really my only unknown/concern in the secondary coming into the season and was guaranteed to be a downgrade from Warrior.

On the offensive line, we are very talented and experienced, and that can't be denied. We have NFL type talent at that position. That entire unit should be playing better than they are.

Everyone and their mother knew JG can't play, yet for multiple recruiting classes in a row, Pruitt failed to find/develop an adequate replacement. That's on him.

We returned our top two leading rushers based on the yards stats from last season. My ultimate issue is this: many of our returning players have either regressed from last season or have not improved at all. That's a coaching problem. Deflecting it as a youth problem is ignoring a problem.

Reactions: jwilliams
Nobody on our defensive line is a standout, and I think we all recognized that coming into the season. Most were, however, playing solid football towards the end of last season. They've regressed. Our best linebacker has also regressed noticably.

As for your upperclassmen in the secondary: Coming into this season, Taylor and Thompson both had showed a lot of promise at corner, and Flowers had at safety when he hasn't been hurt. None have improved. In fact, there is an argument to be made that Taylor and Thompson have regressed. Shamburger was a very nice nickelback last season. Obviously something wasn't right there. Theo is a decent player, but is limited which begs the question why Doneiko Slaughter hasn't seen meaningful action on defense since the SC game?McCollough was really my only unknown/concern in the secondary coming into the season and was guaranteed to be a downgrade from Warrior.

On the offensive line, we are very talented and experienced, and that can't be denied. We have NFL type talent at that position. That entire unit should be playing better than they are.

Everyone and their mother knew JG can't play, yet for multiple recruiting classes in a row, Pruitt failed to find/develop an adequate replacement. That's on him.

We returned our top two leading rushers based on the yards stats from last season. My ultimate issue is this: many of our returning players have either regressed from last season or have not improved at all. That's a coaching problem. Deflecting it as a youth problem is ignoring a problem.

Good points. I still don't feel our upper-classmen are that great, so we need a youth movement. However, you're right on in that some of the regression from our better guys last year is concerning. My only guess at this point is that Bituli was elevating the play of all those guys. Very disappointing though.

Reactions: BisonVol
Good points. I still don't feel our upper-classmen are that great, so we need a youth movement. However, you're right on in that some of the regression from our better guys last year is concerning. My only guess at this point is that Bituli was elevating the play of all those guys. Very disappointing though.

Yeah, Bituli did more mentally for the defense than I think many of us (me included) realized at the time. He was obviously a very solid player from a physical perspective, but it doesn't seem like anyone has been able to do the things he did as far as getting guys where they needed to be pre-snap.

Reactions: jwilliams

VN Store

Back