The Case for/against Pruitt in Pruitt's Own Language

MWAVolfan

Let me preface this with "I am not calling for Pruitt to be fired". This is intended as an open and objective question. What should be done with Pruitt at the end of this year? One thing to take off the table is the question of his extension and any buyout talk. I have never seen this an an obstacle for any power 5 program and it hasn't stopped Tennessee from firing it's last two coaches. Tennessee will find the money to do this if they feel it is needed. Let's just stick with the questions of program development, recruiting and win/loss chances.

Let me explain this situation the way Jeremy Pruitt would do it.

When CJP says "JG gives us our best chance to be successful" most fans can look at JGs history and his current performance and know that this is a garbage statement. JG is a known quantity at this point and I don't think as a senior that we are gonna teach this old dog new tricks. We are all now pretty much saying "let the new guy QB, what do we have to lose because JG will not get any better".

Well, why aren't we looking at the coach with the same logic? If you look at CJP's history at UT and his current performance, does he REALLY give us the best chance to be successful or should we let a new guy try it?

I ask you this, in 2 years are we going to have another Butch Jones scenario on our hands? What does CJP's history and current performance tell us about that? If you look at all the comparisons, most of them currently favor Butch Jones 2.5 years into his tenure at UT. Recruiting was better, winning was better, program hype was definitely better.

People are going to want to know how the rest of the season turns out for sure. So let's look at the last 5 games of the season:

Pig F@ckers - Road game. Tennessee should win, but then again Tennessee should not have been blown out by UK at home (50/50 chance of winning)
Brown Shirts - There's no statistical reason to expect a win against the #8 team in the nation - (L)
The Barn - Another tough road game. I don't see this Tennessee team winning its second straight game at Auburn (30% chance of winning?) (L)
Commode-ors - Lets just say if you cant win this game, fire everyone on the spot (W)
Meth Addicted Reptiles - Yeah, no. Tennessee has lost to MUCH worse UF teams (L)

So, by my meager estimate we are looking at our final record being 4-6 at best 3-7 at worst

You can agree with that or not, don't really care, this is just a hypothetical. In my opinion 2020 will be a big step backward from 2019, a season in which we lost to Ga St, BYU and nearly lost to Indiana. If this proves to be true, CJP would be SIGNIFICANTLY behind Botch Jones by the end of year 3.

Statistically there are three possibilities of where we could be at the end of year 5: we are significantly better (winning 9-11 games) , we are significantly worse (winning 2-4 games) or we are somewhere about the same as we are now (winning 5-8 games). Two of those three outcomes I believe all of us would agree are completely unacceptable by the end of year 5.

Based on the level of recruits we have now and based on the players we have in-house (the cabinet is not bare like it was after Dooley and Botch), would the odds be in our favor to go ahead and roll the dice on a new coach again and put that new coach in a good position to win significantly in 2 years or just ride it out and *hope* the guy we already have 2.5 seasons of data on can somehow miraculously turn this sinking ship around in those same 2 years. The danger of the latter being Butch Jones 2.0, a completely wrecked program with no developed players.

So I guess the way I'm looking at it would be if we don't see Tennessee winning double digit victories by the end of year 5 under Pruitt based on all the info we have at hand, what should our course of action be at the end of this year?

Start by benching JG. Period end of story. Everything will immediately get better just like last year when we benched him.

Its simple.

Reactions: spyfish007
The case for Pruitt.
I see a ton of this.

Firing coaches......that’s the problem (usually including: every 3 years, or every 4 years).

Lol.....the problem can’t be “cheap” or “bad” hires....heck no.

Keeping Doofy and keeping Butch would have obviously been a terrible thing to do......so seriously......how is getting rid of them the problem?

If you like Pruitt.....if you think he is the one.....if you think he shouldn’t be fired.......just say so, and maybe provide reasons as to why.

simply saying: “firing all these coaches is the problem”........is seriously dumb, and has ZERO merit. Their getting hired....maybe......them sucking......maybe.....but surely no one things Doofy should still be the coach at Tennessee. If you don’t think he should still be....why on earth would you use that excuse?

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
The case for Pruitt.
I see a ton of this.

Firing coaches......that’s the problem (usually including: every 3 years, or every 4 years).

Lol.....the problem can’t be “cheap” or “bad” hires....heck no.

Keeping Doofy and keeping Butch would have obviously been a terrible thing to do......so seriously......how is getting rid of them the problem?

If you like Pruitt.....if you think he is the one.....if you think he shouldn’t be fired.......just say so, and maybe provide reasons as to why.

simply saying: “firing all these coaches is the problem”........is seriously dumb, and has ZERO merit. Their getting hired....maybe......them sucking......maybe.....but surely no one things Doofy should still be the coach at Tennessee. If you don’t think he should still be....why on earth would you use that excuse?
I do think coaching changes are needed for the OL and QB...These guys have been here long enough to show their abilities both as coaches and recruiters...This is a no brainer...

I do think coaching changes are needed for the OL and QB...These guys have been here long enough to show their abilities both as coaches and recruiters...This is a no brainer...

When a coach knows “it’s time” there’s nothing wrong with making a change (not when me or you or fans “know”...but those in charge).

When those in charge “know” or have been given sufficient evidence “things aren’t working out”.......moving on isn’t necessarily a problem.

Not having a plan....that’s a problem. Not willing to fork over enough $......that’s a problem. Keeping coaches longer that they should be kept......that’s a problem......heck getting rid of them too soon......that’s a problem (however I haven’t met too many who think Doofy and Butch were let go too soon).

Reactions: preacherwebb
I think in general the problem I see with the argument of persisting with coaches - and this was true with Dooley, Jones and now Pruitt, is I see a lot of this:

You can't turn around a bad program overnight. Give him time.

To that I say: Actually with the right coach, you CAN turn around a program in just one or two seasons, and it's not unrealistic to expect that from a Tennessee coach.

The game has changed since the 90s. Football programs no longer build up a team of young players who stay through their senior year, banking on two seasons of great play only to rebuild. Players transfer now, grad transfers are a thing, freshmen start even at QB. It's just not accurate to insist that Pruitt is on the right track he just needs more time.

A good coach wins by getting his players to play at their ability level.
A great coach gets average players to exceed their abilities as individuals.

Pruitt seems to be able to do neither. And his hubris regarding JG is evident. If he was a good coach, he'd get more from JG - or he'd cut bait and move on.

So what to do with Pruitt? If Tennessee was an actual good football program, I'd say fire him end of season and move on. Tennessee is not a good football program. We haven't competed for the East in YEARS. We are low-to-middle program that does not compete within our conference. For that reason, offer Pruitt no additional years or money, ride it out and then go in a new direction. It's all we got.

Reactions: 1967vol and Volle
First 30 games-

Pruitt 15-15 overall, 0-8 vs UF, UGA, BAMA
Jones 14-16 overall, 0-8 vs UF, UGA, BAMA
Dooley 14-16 overall, 0-8 vs UF, UGA, BAMA

See, things are improving.

I'm not being smart or argumentative when I say this, but Fulmer is married to Pruitt. Pruitt could lose (and might) every game the rest of the year, and he'll still be here next year, and the year after that.

If I remember correctly, Fulmer would not / did not fire Sanders (who I thought was decent, but certainly not Cutcliffe) until sufficient pressure was put on by the AD, so unless he's learned from his mistakes, he won't let Pruitt go either.

He sees himself in Pruitt ... the hot coordinator with a knack for recruiting that will work like heck to find a way to win, thus, he is hoping to live vicariously thru Pruitt, and fulfill the Big Orange return to glory.

I think we need to just hope and pray (as it were) that Pruitt is what Fulmer believes him to be, cause he ain't going anywhere.

He’s not going anywhere but I’ll play along...

Bench JG
Nieds being “green” is really showing at LB
Thompson has in my opinion regressed in coverage and that’s on two coaches who I believed would make the group the best on the team: Ansley and Pruitt.
Have a talk with Chaney: I don’t think his head is in the game from start to finish.
Put Weinke purely on one of the other three QBs. As bad a we want Bailey to start I think Shrout is the best option If Maurer is still struggling.

I honestly have no idea how to solve the problem upfront with blocking. He’s not going to fire Friend but he needs help. We should not be missing simple assignments with the talent we have

I'm not being smart or argumentative when I say this, but Fulmer is married to Pruitt. Pruitt could lose (and might) every game the rest of the year, and he'll still be here next year, and the year after that.

If I remember correctly, Fulmer would not / did not fire Sanders (who I thought was decent, but certainly not Cutcliffe) until sufficient pressure was put on by the AD, so unless he's learned from his mistakes, he won't let Pruitt go either.

He sees himself in Pruitt ... the hot coordinator with a knack for recruiting that will work like heck to find a way to win, thus, he is hoping to live vicariously thru Pruitt, and fulfill the Big Orange return to glory.

I think we need to just hope and pray (as it were) that Pruitt is what Fulmer believes him to be, cause he ain't going anywhere.

I think he can get it done at a high level he just needs to cut some friends loose

And....uh.....stuff......uh.....aight?

That's about all I hear at his pressers these days.

Reactions: joevol33
First 30 games-

WHEN Pruitt loses to UF this year, Botch Jones will officially be better, having beaten UGA in his 3rd year.

He’s not going anywhere but I’ll play along...

Bench JG
Nieds being “green” is really showing at LB
Thompson has in my opinion regressed in coverage and that’s on two coaches who I believed would make the group the best on the team: Ansley and Pruitt.
Have a talk with Chaney: I don’t think his head is in the game from start to finish.
Put Weinke purely on one of the other three QBs. As bad a we want Bailey to start I think Shrout is the best option If Maurer is still struggling.

I honestly have no idea how to solve the problem upfront with blocking. He’s not going to fire Friend but he needs help. We should not be missing simple assignments with the talent we have

I don't think he's going anywhere either because I think UT is too afraid to admit it made ANOTHER huge hiring mistake. And because of the pandemic. This was always going to be a "free" year.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
In his own words :

“Well, if it’s not working out, it’s better to just do it right now,” Pruitt answered.

That being said, I think economics and Fulmer being stubborn and attached at the hip to this hire preclude any reason to expect a coaching search before 2022.

Nothing to this point in the season is suggesting major gains or improvement over whats been in place before Pruitt showed up.

He has checked all the boxes to this point for making a change in a mind numbing loss to an inferior opponent and not showing a pulse or collapsing against our biggest rivals this season.

First 30 games-

Writing’s on the wall. At this point the AD doesn’t have the appetite to fire him so we’ll retain him until it gets cheaper to do so and hope we get a few bounces that go our way in the meantime. While in reality our program will continue to fade into obscurity. Wash-Rinse-Repeat. This is the 3rd straight cycle of this mess. Our administration doesn’t care to compete with the upper echelon programs. In addition, no elite coach wants to come to Tennessee and compete/recruit uphill with the surrounding states/schools and a rabid fan base like ours. We got lucky with Fulmer. We may have a lucky season here and there but UT football won’t see a consistent 9/10+ win program for the foreseeable future. Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one gets filled fastest.

Reactions: JonGrudensAgent
He has signed 3 recruiting classes. 1 of which was last minute throw together take what you can get. The 2 classes he had time to put together are Freshmen and Sophomores. You do not see the upper level teams fielding a bunch of Fresh and Soph. The Georgia's Bama's and Clemson's will have a few playing but they will not depend on them for everything and they are usually elite prospects.

I do however think its time for JG to take a seat. I think he has a strong arm and may know the offense better than others. His accuracy sucks and the first sign of pressure and he ***** the bed. Running around like a slow trapped. I don't think he has pocket awareness nor the ability to anticipate a receiver becoming open or throwing them open. I do not think that is a skill that is developed. You have it or you don't.

I don't like the fact that 2 of our best 3 ILB are running back prospects while we still do not have a big physical back to count on for pass blocking or tough yardage. Jeremy Banks would love to hit a blitzing D-Lineman or LB. Those are head scratchers to me?

I guess my main point being, IMO Pruitt needs years 4-5 to get a total assessment on him. He will not have an excuse then. He cant blame the players or their effort because they are ALL his players.

Let me preface this with "I am not calling for Pruitt to be fired". This is intended as an open and objective question. What should be done with Pruitt at the end of this year? One thing to take off the table is the question of his extension and any buyout talk. I have never seen this an an obstacle for any power 5 program and it hasn't stopped Tennessee from firing it's last two coaches. Tennessee will find the money to do this if they feel it is needed. Let's just stick with the questions of program development, recruiting and win/loss chances.

Let me explain this situation the way Jeremy Pruitt would do it.

When CJP says "JG gives us our best chance to be successful" most fans can look at JGs history and his current performance and know that this is a garbage statement. JG is a known quantity at this point and I don't think as a senior that we are gonna teach this old dog new tricks. We are all now pretty much saying "let the new guy QB, what do we have to lose because JG will not get any better".

Well, why aren't we looking at the coach with the same logic? If you look at CJP's history at UT and his current performance, does he REALLY give us the best chance to be successful or should we let a new guy try it?

I ask you this, in 2 years are we going to have another Butch Jones scenario on our hands? What does CJP's history and current performance tell us about that? If you look at all the comparisons, most of them currently favor Butch Jones 2.5 years into his tenure at UT. Recruiting was better, winning was better, program hype was definitely better.

People are going to want to know how the rest of the season turns out for sure. So let's look at the last 5 games of the season:

Pig F@ckers - Road game. Tennessee should win, but then again Tennessee should not have been blown out by UK at home (50/50 chance of winning)
Brown Shirts - There's no statistical reason to expect a win against the #8 team in the nation - (L)
The Barn - Another tough road game. I don't see this Tennessee team winning its second straight game at Auburn (30% chance of winning?) (L)
Commode-ors - Lets just say if you cant win this game, fire everyone on the spot (W)
Meth Addicted Reptiles - Yeah, no. Tennessee has lost to MUCH worse UF teams (L)

So, by my meager estimate we are looking at our final record being 4-6 at best 3-7 at worst

You can agree with that or not, don't really care, this is just a hypothetical. In my opinion 2020 will be a big step backward from 2019, a season in which we lost to Ga St, BYU and nearly lost to Indiana. If this proves to be true, CJP would be SIGNIFICANTLY behind Botch Jones by the end of year 3.

Statistically there are three possibilities of where we could be at the end of year 5: we are significantly better (winning 9-11 games) , we are significantly worse (winning 2-4 games) or we are somewhere about the same as we are now (winning 5-8 games). Two of those three outcomes I believe all of us would agree are completely unacceptable by the end of year 5.

Based on the level of recruits we have now and based on the players we have in-house (the cabinet is not bare like it was after Dooley and Botch), would the odds be in our favor to go ahead and roll the dice on a new coach again and put that new coach in a good position to win significantly in 2 years or just ride it out and *hope* the guy we already have 2.5 seasons of data on can somehow miraculously turn this sinking ship around in those same 2 years. The danger of the latter being Butch Jones 2.0, a completely wrecked program with no developed players.

So I guess the way I'm looking at it would be if we don't see Tennessee winning double digit victories by the end of year 5 under Pruitt based on all the info we have at hand, what should our course of action be at the end of this year?

No telling what will happen with this team.

They are always a back breaking Guarantano turnover away from collapsing against anyone.

Think the best chances for wins and salvaging ( using that term very loosely ) the season are Arky, Vandy and Auburn.

I just don't see them playing 3 clean games and winning all 3.

Writing’s on the wall. At this point the AD doesn’t have the appetite to fire him so we’ll retain him until it gets cheaper to do so and hope we get a few bounces that go our way in the meantime. While in reality our program will continue to fade into obscurity. Wash-Rinse-Repeat. This is the 3rd straight cycle of this mess. Our administration doesn’t care to compete with the upper echelon programs. In addition, no elite coach wants to come to Tennessee and compete/recruit uphill with the surrounding states/schools and a rabid fan base like ours. We got lucky with Fulmer. We may have a lucky season here and there but UT football won’t see a consistent 9/10+ win program for the foreseeable future. Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one gets filled fastest.

Should be the theme song for Vol fans everywhere lol

Reactions: VolNRaleighNC

VN Store

Back