The Atlanta Braves Thread

ETA on Russell? Gotta be the best player in the league
Not sure I’d guess say least 3 weeks. He will be up there, but not sure about best. Kiwoom will have like 3-4 Major league caliber hitters once he gets going tho

Doubt it. They’re gonna get your money one way or the other.
Sure it would. Say I want only the ESPN group of channels and a handful of others because all I watch on TV is sports. The only way to get that right now it to buy a bundle of at least 30 or so channels.

They would charge you more per channel - for example ESPN is something like $5/month on your cable bill even if you don't watch it and it'd probably go to $10/month, but if all you wanted was like 8 channels your bill overall would be cheaper.

Sure it would. Say I want only the ESPN group of channels and a handful of others because all I watch on TV is sports. The only way to get that right now it to buy a bundle of at least 30 or so channels.

They would charge you more per channel - for example ESPN is something like $5/month on your cable bill even if you don't watch it and it'd probably go to $10/month, but if all you wanted was like 8 channels your bill overall would be cheaper.
You think large media corporations are sitting around saying “how can we make our services cheaper for consumers?”

They aren’t going to go to a true a la carte, they will package bundles to drive up the costs. And the sports will be at a premium costs. I personally don’t thing they will ever go to individual channels, the networks aren’t going to allow it.

You think large media corporations are sitting around saying “how can we make our services cheaper for consumers?”

They aren’t going to go to a true a la carte, they will package bundles to drive up the costs. And the sports will be at a premium costs. I personally don’t thing they will ever go to individual channels, the networks aren’t going to allow it.
Of course they aren't, but they will eventually respond to market pressure for it.

lol at the economics behind a la carte

0.0%
It’s definitely unrealistic unless somebody like Disney just goes rogue and makes ESPN exclusive to their service... which I can’t really imagine happening.

I bet the YouTube spike is because of all the lost revenue from sports being shut down. My brother had YouTube TV and cancelled it at the beginning of April when sports shut down. I bet a ton of people have done the same.

I bet the YouTube spike is because of all the lost revenue from sports being shut down. My brother had YouTube TV and cancelled it at the beginning of April when sports shut down. I bet a ton of people have done the same.
It’s a spike because none of the streaming services are making a dime. They’re fighting each other for market share and then raising prices. Can’t wait til someone comes along and bundles them together to offer the consumer.....cable.

The only way it works is if you own/create the content, but nobody wants only one service’s content. If you pay for multiple subscription services at a price point that makes sense long term for the content creators, you are going to be paying more money for less content than cable.

Sorry.

It’s definitely unrealistic unless somebody like Disney just goes rogue and makes ESPN exclusive to their service... which I can’t really imagine happening.
Agree. Wouldn’t be able to afford live sports rights with just that subscription base though.

Where this ultimately filters down to is player salaries. But don’t dare mention that to joe public because the owners are the devil.

Agree. Wouldn’t be able to afford live sports rights with just that subscription base though
That’s exactly the issue. They pay those rights fees based on ad revenue which is based on viewership they can’t achieve unless they piggyback on cable providers who in turn leverage the fact that they offer the popular channels and make us pay more than we want for the content we want in return for a channel package that also includes Pop, HLN and A&E. I think we eventually get to everything being streamed, but only as an alternative means of delivery based on it advancing technologically and becoming the most efficient way to get a signal to your TV.

Reactions: TBrown
That’s exactly the issue. They pay those rights fees based on ad revenue which is based on viewership they can’t achieve unless they piggyback on cable providers who in turn leverage the fact that they offer the popular channels and make us pay more than we want for the content we want in return for a channel package that also includes Pop, HLN and A&E. I think we eventually get to everything being streamed, but only as an alternative means of delivery based on it advancing technologically and becoming the most efficient way to get a signal to your TV.
Right. To be clear I’m not arguing the technology or delivery. I’m scoffing at the services.

Bruce Sutter signed a $9.1M contract and will get $45M off of it.

Amazing

The Braves contract to Sutter is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

- They give a 32 year old reliever a 6 year/$9.1M deal second highest for a pitcher.

- The Braves then agree to fully guarantee the contract.

- The Braves agree to defer all the money upon Sutter’s request.

- The Braves agree to 12.3% interest over 30 years of the $9.1M contract! 30 years! Which $1.12M over 30 years. Unbelievable.

- The Braves and Sutter agree to defer the full $9.1M he’s owed after the 30 years of interest basically as a signing bonus

- Sutter still gets 8% of his contact yearly so he makes $750K over the six year even though he retired with two years left because it’s fully guaranteed.

And Ted Turner was a billionaire!

Last edited:
The Braves contract to Sutter is literally the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.
!
At the time, the Braves were contending every year and Sutter was clearly the best closer in the game. Ted Turner was fine with cutting a bad deal.

VN Store

Back