The Association Football Thread

Even though Arsenal is having a miserable season, Man City will never be The Invincibles. Thank you Liverpool.

No, but they still might have the greatest season in Premier League history in regards to trophies and points. I’d rather have that than an undefeated season with two trophies and a bunch of ties.

Credit to Liverpool and City. Clearly the best and second best in this league. They never stop playing attacking style and fans should appreciate it. The only other must see team is Tottenham. The rest suck with their park the bus mentality. Shots fired at United, Chelsea and everyone else.

Give me a final 4 in Champions League of City, Liverpool, Barca and PSG and I’ll be very happy as a fan.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with everything you are saying except I would probably put Real Madrid, even with all their struggles at the moment, in that final 4 over Liverpool.

PSG will eliminate them. Possibly Bayern in that group though.

You are 100% right, Real Madrid will be out.

I would put Liverpool ahead of Bayern.

Also I agree with you Liverpool is the second best team when it comes to the Premier League but in the Champions League I would give the edge to Jose and that defense.

You know you’ve got me singing the blues, City Win, united lose. Oh City, you’ve got me singing the blues!

EPL champs again. About to smash all records in league this year.

If reds win Champions League, the EPL will be on top for quite sometime.

The replacement hire will tell a lot about whether Arsenal ownership is serious about trying to win EPL.

I think they are. The rise of Liverpool has raised the stakes in London. Arsenal are beating Chelsea to the punch. Something they haven’t done in a decade. Everyone expects the Mancs to be good. Tottenham has to show they’re serious this summer. Liverpool are for real.

Arsenal and Chelsea cannot come second and third fiddle to Spurs. Or they won’t play for champions league for a long time.

How exactly has Liverpool been more successful as a club in the Champions League than the EPL? Is it just random/how fate would have it, or is it some kind of an intentional strategy by the club's brass to emphasize European competition more? It's amazing to me how since the EPL formed they've played in 3 UCL Finals, winning one of them, but never won the EPL. And the year that they did win it (2005), they changed the rules to allow them back in next year because they didn't even finish high enough in EPL play to qualify.

I've always heard English clubs put the most importance on domestic competition (EPL titles/FA Cups) in contrast to other nations (like Spain) where Champions League dominance is more important. Is Liverpool an exception?

How exactly has Liverpool been more successful as a club in the Champions League than the EPL? Is it just random/how fate would have it, or is it some kind of an intentional strategy by the club's brass to emphasize European competition more? It's amazing to me how since the EPL formed they've played in 3 UCL Finals, winning one of them, but never won the EPL. And the year that they did win it (2005), they changed the rules to allow them back in next year because they didn't even finish high enough in EPL play to qualify.

I've always heard English clubs put the most importance on domestic competition (EPL titles/FA Cups) in contrast to other nations (like Spain) where Champions League dominance is more important. Is Liverpool an exception?

No. It’s just chance. For example, Liverpool had the absolute easiest path to the final in some time. Outside of City, they played garbage till the final. Even their group stage was abysmal compared to other squads. Until Chamberlain went down, they were also healthy. Then Salah in final and they were toast.

What if they played City with Aguero, Mendy, and others healthy?

What if the goals disallowed to City and Roma were called correctly?

All I know is that 1st goal by Gareth Bale was sick. Hard to believe he isn't good enough to start on that team. ZZ holding him down, because he secretly hates Welshman? Figured he would be more mad at Ronaldo for knocking off France (imo, the best team) in the Euros, 2 years ago when Wales (thanks to Bale, mostly and a great draw) went on that crazy run to the Finals. But honestly, I haven't really kept up with Real Madrid the last couple of years until this Champions Final, forgot or thought he moved on. After listening to his comments after the game, sounds like he will return to the Premier League, soon.

Klopp wasting no time in bring in reinforcements. Excellent signing in Fabinho. Paired with the Keita signing and it's a large step in the right direction with the ever improving Ox in that midfield. Gotta think that Henderson and Milner find their way to the bench and provide depth.

Got one more big signing to go...between the sticks.

Not shocking considering the crap he took after Barcelona loss. His reasoning is sound and he left on his terms. Good for him.

I'll never understand coaching changes in European soccer. They make SEC football coaching hot seats look like preschool, and the players make NBA players look like down to earth, level-headed people.

They've won the Champions League 3 years in a row, won La Liga in 2017, but that isn't enough to overcome drama he had with certain players.

I'll never understand coaching changes in European soccer. They make SEC football coaching hot seats look like preschool, and the players make NBA players look like down to earth, level-headed people.

They've won the Champions League 3 years in a row, won La Liga in 2017, but that isn't enough to overcome drama he had with certain players.

Unless you’re a Guardiola, players run the teams.

Unless you’re a Guardiola, players run the teams.

More like the top brass let the players run the team?

I guess it is kind of similar to the NBA and NHL though. Star players have virtually singlehandedly run off coaches in those leagues too. Perhaps not as much in MLB and the NFL because it is harder for a single player to have an outsized influence simply because of the nature of the game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back