The All Things Cycling Thread

What distance is the triathlon? Aero bars put you in a more powerful position, and of course give you a slipstream, but they also give you less control. You would absolutely have to ride and get used to them before the race.

It isn't far at all since it is sprint tri(under 20 miles). I ride some in the aero position without bars, but I save that for open roads that are straight/flat. With this having some turns and other riders I would like to have something to grip while in that position.

It isn't far at all since it is sprint tri(under 20 miles). I ride some in the aero position without bars, but I save that for open roads that are straight/flat. With this having some turns and other riders I would like to have something to grip while in that position.

You'll want to use the aero bars in the straights only; get in the hoods/drops when making turns and passing others for safety.

I guess this is all based on me assuming I will be passing someone haha. Haven't found anybody that has some I could borrow though, so it looks like I am stuck with my Roubaix. Aero bar and aero wheels sure would be nice :D

Since it is a sprint tri my assumption is that the pace will be much faster since everyone won't have to hold some energy in reserve. I am really excited to try it out. Hoping I can get on podium under the beginner category, but I probably should just try to enjoy it. Guessing I will lose lots of time on the run section, as I only can only average 8 min miles on a good run. Not after swimming/cycling.

Well I ended up enjoying the spring triathlon. I placed 7th out of 74 in my group. The pool swim was complete mayhem. I obviously have zero experience with triathlons but I personally thought they should have done a better job at spacing out the swimmers. They also started based off your swim time you submitted at registration. Clearly people don't know how fast they are, so the next time I do this I am going to be much less conservative with my time.

The transition to bike was bad for me. I shouldn't have gone with socks as they were hard to put on with wet feet. I kinda took my time since I was out there to just enjoy it, but after knowing I got 7th I wish I would have pushed more.

Well I ended up enjoying the spring triathlon. I placed 7th out of 74 in my group. The pool swim was complete mayhem. I obviously have zero experience with triathlons but I personally thought they should have done a better job at spacing out the swimmers. They also started based off your swim time you submitted at registration. Clearly people don't know how fast they are, so the next time I do this I am going to be much less conservative with my time.

The transition to bike was bad for me. I shouldn't have gone with socks as they were hard to put on with wet feet. I kinda took my time since I was out there to just enjoy it, but after knowing I got 7th I wish I would have pushed more.

Nice work. People flub their predicted times, or they give times based on an empty pool. It's B.S., but there's no other way to do it than open swim in a lake. Glad you enjoyed it, just don't start peeing on your bike like other triathletes do.

I made a quick trip to Iowa City, IA for some beer on Friday night and returned with a winter project.

Independent Fabrication Planet Cross.

It's unfortunately Clemson color scheme, so it'll get a repaint assuming it fits me well.

Attachments

• 20170825_190045.jpg
    20170825_190045.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
Nice! I have been having the itch for a new ride as well haha

I guess I can see why people screw up the time, esp for a triathlon with some many beginners, but it is def annoying. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I would have registered the day of in which they just throw you in the back.

Yeah, I don't see myself peeing on my bike anytime soon.

Nice! I have been having the itch for a new ride as well haha

I guess I can see why people screw up the time, esp for a triathlon with some many beginners, but it is def annoying. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I would have registered the day of in which they just throw you in the back.

Yeah, I don't see myself peeing on my bike anytime soon.

We have a 7 mile running race here that brings 15,000 people. You're supposed to sort into corrals based on your times. Stupid walkers are often way up and end up ruining most people's races.

Thoughts on Zipp wheels VOLatile? I know of two people different people selling some used ones. One is the 202s and the other the 404s. Typically I would think the 202s would be better since I ride hills more, but if I do end up getting into triathlons and more crit racing I would think the 404s would be much better

Thoughts on Zipp wheels VOLatile? I know of two people different people selling some used ones. One is the 202s and the other the 404s. Typically I would think the 202s would be better since I ride hills more, but if I do end up getting into triathlons and more crit racing I would think the 404s would be much better

Zipp are great. Expensive, but pretty much the standard wheels. The only better wheels, IMO, are Enve. I would probably go with the 202s anyways.

This new bike build has turned into one small nightmare after another.

First, get the frame and it has an undisclosed small dent in the top tube. No problem, it's steel and I got it for a smoking deal.

Second, it's a 1" steerer tube and 26.8 mm seat tube. Again, small problems. Just ordered a 1" to 1-1/8" Thomson stem shim to adapt my Thomson stem. Found a 26.8 Thomson seat post at work that should work. Noooope. Can't get the post into the seat tube. Well, guess I'll order a 26.6 mm post.

Third, scour the web for a Shimano 105 group. Find one for $260 shipped, INCLUDING crank. This is the only positive, although it's taking FedEx 8 days to ship it 130 miles... No biggie.

Lastly, found some Tektro Mini-V brakes on Amazon. Ordered them... Got them Friday. Wrong thing. Turns out I must have clicked the wrong item and ordered just some regular V-brakes. Won't work with drop levers, but I'll use them later for another project. Threw mini-vs in the shop order.

I still don't have 11 speed compatible wheels yet. Can't decide if I should build the hubs and rims I've had lying around all summer or just buy prebuilt wheels. Also need a saddle and pedal to round it off...

Oh well, it's a fun, but frustrating, project. When all is said and done, I should have about $1000 into it (the frame new was $2300 alone).

This new bike build has turned into one small nightmare after another.

First, get the frame and it has an undisclosed small dent in the top tube. No problem, it's steel and I got it for a smoking deal.

Second, it's a 1" steerer tube and 26.8 mm seat tube. Again, small problems. Just ordered a 1" to 1-1/8" Thomson stem shim to adapt my Thomson stem. Found a 26.8 Thomson seat post at work that should work. Noooope. Can't get the post into the seat tube. Well, guess I'll order a 26.6 mm post.

Third, scour the web for a Shimano 105 group. Find one for $260 shipped, INCLUDING crank. This is the only positive, although it's taking FedEx 8 days to ship it 130 miles... No biggie.

Lastly, found some Tektro Mini-V brakes on Amazon. Ordered them... Got them Friday. Wrong thing. Turns out I must have clicked the wrong item and ordered just some regular V-brakes. Won't work with drop levers, but I'll use them later for another project. Threw mini-vs in the shop order.

I still don't have 11 speed compatible wheels yet. Can't decide if I should build the hubs and rims I've had lying around all summer or just buy prebuilt wheels. Also need a saddle and pedal to round it off...

Oh well, it's a fun, but frustrating, project. When all is said and done, I should have about $1000 into it (the frame new was $2300 alone).

It will be worth it! Your post got me looking at Fat Chance history, no idea Chris was building again, now in Marin County.

Anyone know of places they rent Ibis mountain bikes? I'm looking to buy a Mojo 3 demo if I can find one

They did a Kickstarter a few years back to reignite the brand. Pretty neat.

That is pretty neat! I rode a Buck Shaver for years, nice little bike. Yo Eddy! geometry but cheaper tube set, had tons of fun on that bike. Back then I enjoyed climbing more and that bike would just hook up and go.

That is pretty neat! I rode a Buck Shaver for years, nice little bike. Yo Eddy! geometry but cheaper tube set, had tons of fun on that bike. Back then I enjoyed climbing more and that bike would just hook up and go.

It's great that they're embracing the new designs with plus sized wheels and even a road bike, IIRC, instead of just selling on nostalgia.

Found out that Shimano's Ultegra R 8000 cassette is 11 speed and designed to work on 10 speed freehub bodies. Two sets of wheels I own I can now use on the Indy Fab and I don't have to build my other set yet. Boom!

Had an awesome ride at Loyston Point this evening. Such a fun place to get after it. Fastest I've ever made it around the two loops by a decent margin.

Don't get hammered the night before a 105 mile gravel race that happens to be 90°, humid, and windy... You'll have a bad time. Ugh.

Got caught in a severe storm last night. 60+mph winds, hail, and torrential rain. Not really ideal. It's also 90° and humid in late September, which is just unacceptable.

Got caught in a severe storm last night. 60+mph winds, hail, and torrential rain. Not really ideal. It's also 90° and humid in late September, which is just unacceptable.

60mph winds! That is nuts, you did good if you managed to stay upright in that mess.

Since you commute, do you have any thoughts on a nice backpack for cycling? It needs to be pretty substantial and yet comfy when laden. I was thinking of Chrome, they seem well constructed but love to hear your thoughts on it.

60mph winds! That is nuts, you did good if you managed to stay upright in that mess.

Since you commute, do you have any thoughts on a nice backpack for cycling? It needs to be pretty substantial and yet comfy when laden. I was thinking of Chrome, they seem well constructed but love to hear your thoughts on it.

I have a Chrome Citizen messenger bag that I use almost daily. In fact, I had my laptop, cellphone, wallet, and about $300 worth of textbooks in it last night. Not a drop of water anywhere inside. I highly recommend Chrome. I would also look at North St. Bags.

VN Store

Back