The All Things Cycling Thread

I've not been on a bicycle in about 25 years. But I've often wondered something about cyclists and I can't answer cause I'm just not familiar.

But, for Knoxville area cyclists, why do so many choose to ride on McFee and Boyd Station area roads? They're small and curvy and seem dangerous to me.

I've not been on a bicycle in about 25 years. But I've often wondered something about cyclists and I can't answer cause I'm just not familiar.

But, for Knoxville area cyclists, why do so many choose to ride on McFee and Boyd Station area roads? They're small and curvy and seem dangerous to me.

They should be treated just like any other traffic and given full use of the lane. That said, it's probably either a fun road to ride, a challenging road, or a road used to access fun/challenging roads.

Back in 03 a buddy and I did the Mtns to Sea ride from Asheville to the Outerbanks. We rode this old heavy Nishiki bikes he got from his uncle. It was an awesome experience even though it poured rain us 5 of the 9 days we were on the road.

I always told my self I would get back into it. I'm thinking about looking into getting a road bike. Probably go the used route. Any suggestions on a good starter bike?

Pretty much all the roads are. That area is actually safer than other parts of the county.

You ride on the roads you have, not the roads you want.

Anyone have any experiance with the Giant Trance or Anthem? I am looking at them and the Yeti SB75. But the Giants are more in my price range. I demo'd the Anthem from the LBS, but have nothing really to compare it to. Cant say i was just wowed by it. I am going to demo the Trance when i get back from vacation. I dont think the LBS will let me demo the Yeti.

Anyone have any experiance with the Giant Trance or Anthem? I am looking at them and the Yeti SB75. But the Giants are more in my price range. I demo'd the Anthem from the LBS, but have nothing really to compare it to. Cant say i was just wowed by it. I am going to demo the Trance when i get back from vacation. I dont think the LBS will let me demo the Yeti.

Have seen more broken frames on the Anthem than any other bike. The Yeti is the best of the three options you've presented.

Not sure if I sat down wrong or what, but last evening when riding one of my boys down there started hurting. Then I started feeling a pain in my side, similar to what I would occasionally get when running. It got so uncomfortable that the last couple miles I was mostly standing up.

I haven't been on the bike yet today, but generally everything seems normal now.

Weird.

Not sure if I sat down wrong or what, but last evening when riding one of my boys down there started hurting. Then I started feeling a pain in my side, similar to what I would occasionally get when running. It got so uncomfortable that the last couple miles I was mostly standing up.

I haven't been on the bike yet today, but generally everything seems normal now.

Weird.

This happens to me when I sit wrong and squish the boys.

A bit of discomfort today, but not nearly as bad.

I didn't notice a squishing moment sufficient to warrant such pain, but I guess it's possible. What was weirdest to me was the corresponding pain in my side, for no apparent reason.

It was almost as if the two were connected. Part of the same nerve network? Obviously, I'm no doctor.

A bit of discomfort today, but not nearly as bad.

I didn't notice a squishing moment sufficient to warrant such pain, but I guess it's possible. What was weirdest to me was the corresponding pain in my side, for no apparent reason.

It was almost as if the two were connected. Part of the same nerve network? Obviously, I'm no doctor.

When I take a shot to the low hanging fruit, the pain is usually centered in my stomach. Not quite sure what would cause the side pain.

Crashed hard today. Setting up for a jump I routinely hit, maybe 15mph, just coasting along with the pedals level and an invisible hole ate my front wheel. Instant OTB with my hands nearly behind me and no time to get them out front.

It was in grass but that crap hurts when you are older. Can't wait to see the bruises tomorrow. Good thing my daughter didn't see it, she would never let me live it down.

Hitting the south Knox loop and trails today. First time on my bike in awhile. Hopefully I don't end up off it too often :)

VN Store

Back