The 3 good and bad of UT Men’s Basketball currently

Peyton Berry

The Good:
- this team is rebounding much better than I thought they would, esp to be as small as we are. A lot of rebounding is effort, and we have that.

- This team is playing better team defense than I expected. The defense has been good lately, esp the last 2 games

- They are a good free throw shooting team, which will win a lot of games, like it did today. I think they were 15 of 16 today, which is excellent.

• In summary, Barnes preaches rebounding and tough man to man D, and this years team has those qualities. I expect these will at least maintain and should even improve as the year goes own. FT % is very important and hopefully this team can keep that up.

The bad:
- Turnovers are absolutely killing this team. They beat us against FSU, and almost did against VCU. Yes those were two very good defensive teams, but they have been a problem all year and oddly, especially with our senior guards. They seem to be struggling with being the main handlers and facilitators of the offense, and still getting use to not having a dominant post player.

- This goes along with the first one in a way, but our overall offensive flow, movement, and even sets needs to improve. Which I think is a big cause of a lot of the turnovers.

- We are not a deep team so far and are playing players a lot of mins. I consider Barnes an excellent coach and hopefully he will be able to build some depth by SEC play. If not, fatigue will be a big factor in some games, especially towards the end of the season. Foul trouble is a big concern also. Any injury would really hurt right now.

In Summary: All 3 of these things are things that are very improvable. With Lamonté not being a true PG, the team learning each other/working in the Freshman, and getting use to not having the big 3 from last year there seems to be a big learning curve for them. I think eventually JJJ gets more time at PG and may even become the leader in mins there. And I think Gaines is showing a lot of potential and will be able to help. He was by defenders a couple times tonight with his quick first step, then would not keep going and pass it off. Overall, I think this team will continue to improve, even more so than Barnes teams usually do with all the factors mentioned above. I think, barring injury, they’ll make the tourney and possible even make the second week or further depending on how much they improve. GO VOLS!!!

Last edited:
The passing is very lazy compared to last season.
I agree and Coach Hamilton/FSU really exposed and attacked that. FSU along with VCU have started the book on beating this team with pressuring our guards and interrupting our offensive passing tendencies, but I have faith the staff will improve this.

The Good:
- this team is rebounding much better than I thought they would, esp to be as small as we are. A lot of rebounding is effort, and we have that.

- This team is playing better team defense than I expected. The defense has been good lately, esp the last 2 games

- They are a good free throw shooting team, which will win a lot of games, like it did today. I think they were 15 of 16 today, which is excellent.

• In summary, Barnes preaches rebounding and tough man to man D, and this years team has those qualities. I expect these will at least maintain and should even improve as the year goes own. FT % is very important and hopefully this team can keep that up.

The bad:
- Turnovers are absolutely killing this team. They beat us against FSU, and almost did against VCU. Yes those were two very good defensive teams, but they have been a problem all year and oddly, especially with our senior guards. They seem to be struggling with being the main handlers and facilitators of the offense, and still getting use to not having a dominant post player.

- This goes along with the first one in a way, but our overall offensive flow, movement, and even sets needs to improve. Which I think is a big cause of a lot of the turnovers.

- We are not a deep team so far and are playing players a lot of mins. I consider Barnes an excellent coach and hopefully he will be able to build some depth by SEC play. If not, fatigue will be a big factor in some games, especially towards the end of the season. Foul trouble is a big concern also. Any injury would really hurt right now.

In Summary: All 3 of these things are things that are very improvable. With Lamonté not being a true PG, the team learning each other/working in the Freshman, and getting use to not having the big 3 from last year there seems to be a big learning curve for them. I think eventually JJJ gets more time at PG and may even become the leader in mins there. And I think Gaines is showing a lot of potential and will be able to help. He was by defenders a couple times tonight with his quick first step, then would not keep going and pass it off. Overall, I think this team will continue to improve, even more so than Barnes teams usually do with all the factors mentioned above. I think, barring injury, they’ll make the tourney and possible even make the second week or further depending on how much they improve. GO VOLS!!!
Turner was absolutely gassed at the end of the game but gutted it out and made the winning shot. I think the two timeouts close together with around 4 or 5 minutes left helped him.

I know I'm probably wrong, but I feel like RIck Barnes has like very little interest in seeing a freshman take over the team. I think he wants it to be a team thing, and for his upperclassmen to impress. Can't we just see what would happen if JJJ shot like 15 shots/game. I get coaching guys up, but why can't any of our 5 star guys ever just come in and dominate?

I haven't been able to watch many of the games this season, but just from stats, idk, it seems he could be more of a spotlight player if given the freedom.

I know I'm probably wrong, but I feel like RIck Barnes has like very little interest in seeing a freshman take over the team. I think he wants it to be a team thing, and for his upperclassmen to impress. Can't we just see what would happen if JJJ shot like 15 shots/game. I get coaching guys up, but why can't any of our 5 star guys ever just come in and dominate?

I haven't been able to watch many of the games this season, but just from stats, idk, it seems he could be more of a spotlight player if given the freedom.

I honestly don’t have a clue what Barnes thinking is or what he wants or doesn’t want.......however defense comes first his this system.

It’s pretty hard for a true freshman to come in and be ready on D like Barnes demands.

Even a good one like James, has to get that worked out first, then work on the offense system & figure out his role, before he can even really think about “taking over”.......even if that is just shooting & scoring a lot.

Reactions: RollerVol

JJJ needs to stay in the gym and work on his shot like Admiral did. He dont have that it factor to take over any game.

JJJ needs to stay in the gym and work on his shot like Admiral did. He dont have that it factor to take over any game.
I agree, his shot doesn’t look very smooth/good right now and is kind of flat. That is something that Barnes/staff have shown ability to improve. Ball handling is closer but he still has little hiccups occasionally. I think he has the physical ability to get in the lane frequently just needs to improve the little things like pass placement, touch/speed of pass, etc

This is not a talent heavy team. They will need to play as a team to compete for the SEC title and NCAA bid. I am sure Barnes is figuring out how the pieces fit right now. His style is hard nosed defense (which never has a bad night) and a guard oriented offense this season no other choice.

Plain and simple, JJJ doesn't currently shoot the ball well enough to warrant 15 shots a game.

So you make a judgement on what Barnes is thinking, then admit you haven't watched many of the games.

Got it.

Our primary issue is, too many trips down the floor with no points. So many missed layups and high percentage shots in the paint. Not to mention missed 3s. We had a 7 minute scoreless span in the FS game that killed us. We make 1/4 of our missed shots, we win going away.

Reactions: RollerVol
I agree and Coach Hamilton/FSU really exposed and attacked that. FSU along with VCU have started the book on beating this team with pressuring our guards and interrupting our offensive passing tendencies, but I have faith the staff will improve this.

I posted about this after the Memphis game last year and got generally deadpanned. Even with Jordan Bone, Hardaway kept that game 10-20 points closer than it ever should have been by pulling out the chaos. We only had one good ball handler and distributor that could handle pressure well last year. He's gone.

We have none this year. This is not the strength of Lamonte and Bowden. JJJ has good handles but isn't fully confident yet. Gaines the same. Auburn exposed us again in the SECTCG with chaos. FSU is built for such a scenario.

If I were an underdog (FA&M?), I would give it a shot if I had guys who could run it against us.

This is not a talent heavy team. They will need to play as a team to compete for the SEC title and NCAA bid. I am sure Barnes is figuring out how the pieces fit right now. His style is hard nosed defense (which never has a bad night) and a guard oriented offense this season no other choice.
Agree, This team will win because of its defense. They're not going to win games because of their offense. As long as they play hard defense,, they'll be in most games but I do worry about fatigue setting in with not much bench depth

Agree, This team will win because of its defense. They're not going to win games because of their offense. As long as they play hard defense,, they'll be in most games but I do worry about fatigue setting in with not much bench depth
Speaking of fatigue, Yves played all 40 minutes yesterday. We got to get more consistent production from the bench so the starters don't have to play 35+minutes a game. It was a little better yesterday from the bench as compared to Friday.

I agree, his shot doesn’t look very smooth/good right now and is kind of flat. That is something that Barnes/staff have shown ability to improve. Ball handling is closer but he still has little hiccups occasionally. I think he has the physical ability to get in the lane frequently just needs to improve the little things like pass placement, touch/speed of pass, etc
His shot is very flat, and is especially notable in person.

VN Store

Back