The 2 calls on Jeremy Banks and Theo Jackson

Vol nation loves JJ but hates banks ? They are cut from the same cloth when you a dog you’re gonna get penalties in today’s football… i understand he needs to be smarter but the way some of y’all talk about him is insane dude gives his all for Tennessee every game I love my linebackers mean but I may just be old school in that fashion… banks needs to be smarter but I love the way he plays he will continue to grow into that linebacker position weekly.

Last edited:
But it caused us to let up later in the game and Pitt got a first down. If they keep running then you do what you can to stop them. The refs sucked plain and simple.
I do agree with you that the refs sucked. I will even go as far to say that the refs wanted the outcome that happened. Why is there an ACC crew officiating a game in an SEC stadium against another ACC team?

Reactions: TNbuc2
I don't agree with the penalties. This is a contact sport sometimes you get slammed on the ground other times you don't. Every player takes this risk when they play the game. Also fun fact players get hurt way more often than not being slammed on the ground than when they are.

I know these didn't make a difference at all, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why flags are thrown on these? Tackling aggressively is flag worthy? I guess I can understand targeting flags on the targeting side of things when those calls happen (even though I don't agree with it)

Banks slammed the guy well after his momentum had stopped.

Jackson’s play it looked like the wr got slammed because he left his feet. Not because Theo intentionally picked him up and suplexed him like Banks

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
The irony of football is so so very obvious in today's world. You train all your life to be tough, aggressive, somewhat violent................................and then you are flagged with half the distance of the goal when you have these characteristics. THINK ABOUT IT !!!! iS THE GAME BECOMMING TWO FACED ????

The irony of football is so so very obvious in today's world. You train all your life to be tough, aggressive, somewhat violent................................and then you are flagged with half the distance of the goal when you have these characteristics. THINK ABOUT IT !!!! iS THE GAME BECOMMING TWO FACED ????

It's becoming Sarcastaball, as prophesied by South Park.

That don't look bad and I am glad Banks kept playing wish #10 would have been there helping.
Not condoning the tackle, but the officials could have been more professional managing the game. When it came to the VOLS they were slow on the whistle, quick on the flags. Pitt received favorable calls the entire game. Better execution would have nullified that, but blow the damned whistle and the tackle ends. They continuously allowed Pitt opportunities to extend plays. Offensive holding was definitely called differently depending on the color of the jersey.

You have been on this kid's case Forever John. Just admit it, you don't like him, I remember you posting if he was reinstated you were done with TN football. I think he proved he is a team guy when he chose to remain at the dumpster fire and not transfer like his other 2 buddies @ the LB position. If you think no other team wanted him, you are sadly mistaken. He knows more about being a Team guy than YOU will ever dream of being. Keep your promise and GO AWAY. It was a bad choice to tackle that way I agree.

My opinion of JB has nothing to do with that Body Slam; as should your affection for him . Poor decisions follow some people around.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I know these didn't make a difference at all, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why flags are thrown on these? Tackling aggressively is flag worthy? I guess I can understand targeting flags on the targeting side of things when those calls happen (even though I don't agree with it)
ACC officials, they don’t play tackle football in the ACC!

Reactions: Wireless1
Hmmm...not really...
cadetard.png
This sums up Cade Mays at UT. Angry at everybody, too little discipline.

This sums up Cade Mays at UT. Angry at everybody, too little discipline.

It was definitely a moronic move on his part.

The Pitt player was trying to arrest his momentum and put his hands on the downed UT lineman to keep from landing on the rest of the pile. Cade blindsiding him made the situation worse.

Looks to me like Banks beought the punk receiver down on top of himself and then gently rolled him over. That's what it also looked like live.

Yes, the suplex is different from a suplay. I believe people are conflating the two moves. This happens across the country in athletic competition with competitors of all ages.

The ref needs to stop the action sooner, this was not a late hit penalty. JB's job is play through the whistle and stop the running back. JB did not put any undue pressure on any body part or put excessive pressure on the RB. More force is applied to the body on run plays between the tackles and certainly around the end. Way more distance, speed and power to generate on those plays, this was not nearly as dangerous.

The optics look bad but it was not the right call. The hesitation to call the play dead, combined with the hesitation to play through the whistle led to unnecessary yards given up later in the game.

Jackson's tackle is textbook, he put the guy on his back without spearing his head. Yes, it was hard but again less force than running around end and definitely on kick off return. You do not see many form tackles like that anymore but it shouldn't be a penalty.

Mays was just a little too late, you can catch guys hanging around the pile but it needs to be slightly earlier. I think this was justified and probably needs to be made to stop fights and late hits all around.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Banks slammed the guy well after his momentum had stopped.

Jackson’s play it looked like the wr got slammed because he left his feet. Not because Theo intentionally picked him up and suplexed him like Banks

I agree the momentum was stopped but the only people that decide that on the field is the ref by blowing the whistle. It could have been a late hit but was called unnecessary roughness.

Been a Penalty as long as I can remember ; which is 40 years watching football. Why respect your opponent? Sportsmanship. The same reason you respect your teammates. Tell JB there is no I in team. That slam was a "Look at Me" moment. Hope you figure it out.

I saw Rico McCoy do it and it wasn't a penalty.

The player that Theo tackled, landed on his back just like the player that Banks tackled. It was a bullish call both times. If the whistle had blown, fine it’s a penalty. But, when a player is still trying to gain yards, the Def. player is playing to the whistle.

Breaking a rib and driving it through someone’s heart is also a possibility. So, should we stop having tackle football altogether?

After seeing the replay, I think Banks continued to drive through the player, which makes sense. I believe that's why the Jackson flag was picked up. Idk though

I agree the momentum was stopped but the only people that decide that on the field is the ref by blowing the whistle. It could have been a late hit but was called unnecessary roughness.

As they say "You can rationalize anything". Was the Body Slam Unnecessary ? Was it Roughness? Affirmative on both counts. Lifting and Planting a player should always be a penalty.

Still don't agree being aggressive is bonehead. They should just put flags on the players and have a nice soft game if every official is gonna cry about it.
dude, we are talking about one play that led to the opponents touchdown and most people who saw it, thought it was way over the top and is the kind of thing that gets athletes crippled for life.

VN Store

Back