THAT ump

Aerie Vol

You know the one.

Interesting fact here: the Vols have lost 3 games this year. Ok ok, ignore the TTU game because it's meaninglessish Tuesday college baseball and we gave our subs a lot of PT. That leaves two losses that mattered. Guess who was behind the plate for each? Uh huh.

Let's dig further back. Guess who was behind the plate for our Tx loss in the CWS? Uh huh. And we've all seen the pics of the obvious out which wasn't given at home and the replays of the Tx strike zone compared to ours. Not even gonna mention the quick tosses for our assistant at the WS or the bama series fiasco.

Two of our last 4 losses have had THAT ump at the plate.

What am I trying to say here? The Vols are so darn good, the most likely way you're gonna beat them is to have an ump with a literal vendetta against them behind the plate.

Last edited:
You know the one.

Interesting fact here: the Vols have lost 3 games this year. Ok ok, ignore the TTU game because it's meaninglessish Tuesday college baseball and we gave our subs a lot of PT. That leaves two losses that mattered. Guess who was behind the plate for each? Uh huh.

Let's dig further back. Guess who was behind the plate for our Tx loss in the CWS? Uh huh. And we've all seen the pics of the obvious out which wasn't given at home and the replays of the Tx strike zone compared to ours. Not even gonna mention the quick tosses for our assistant at the WS or the bama series fiasco.

Three of our last 4 losses have had THAT ump at the plate.

What am I trying to say here? The Vols are so darn good, the most likely way you're gonna beat them is to have an ump with a literal vendetta against them behind the plate.
Macias was not on the field for the TX game this year.

You know the one.

Three of our last 4 losses have had THAT ump at the plate.

Macias was not behind the plate against Texas this year in the Shriner’s Classic. Although, that guy was just as bad.

Edit: already stated.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You know the one.

Two of our last 4 losses have had THAT ump at the plate.

I never got an answer (I don't think) to the question, WAS HE THE UMPIRE-IN-CHEIF FOR OUR GAME? The reason I continue to ask is IF he is not, why after TV had faced him briefly when he came in from 3rd and turned back to continue his inquiry with the plate ump when this guy gleefully turned his back, elevated and threw him out of the game, which of course brought on the response and the contact. It is not listed in the box score I found, but I would really like to know. Being ignored should not be a justification for ejection if he is not in charge.

If he was not in charge, who was? If he was it was a mistake assign him to a leadership position with his history.

OK, my OCD tendencies got me riled up and continued on my search about whether this guy acted OUTSIDE the rules, forget about reason. Remember he was on 3rd.

Umpires SECTION 6. Game officials are the umpire-in-chief (plate umpire) and one, two, three or five field umpires. [VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Umpire-in-Chief SECTION 7.

The umpire-in-chief has sole authority to forfeit a game, and has jurisdiction over any rules matters not assigned to the field umpire in 3-8. The umpire-in-chief’s duties include those covered in 3-6 and also the following: a. Call or indicate “Play” to start the game, “Time” when the ball becomes dead and “Play” when play is resumed; b. Call and count all balls and strikes (see 3-6-f) and give a clear visual and verbal indication of all strikes; c. Make all decisions on the batter; d. Determine fair and foul balls; e. Announce each substitution or have this announced through the publicaddress system; f. Have the lights turned on when necessary for safety reasons. Whenever possible, this should be done at the beginning of an inning; g. Call the game when conditions become unfit for play and when the last out is made; h. Eject a player, coach or team member; i. Clear the bench. “Clear the bench” means the affected participants must leave the dugout area; however, these participants remain eligible to participate in the contest. j. Penalize for rule infractions; and k. Forfeit the game for prescribed infractions by spectators, players, coaches or other persons subject to these rules (see 5-12).

And just for grins, did any of them give an official warning before his theatrics?

Official Warning SECTION 57. An "Official Warning" is a warning from an umpire that carries the words, "This is your official warning. If you continue, you will leave me no option but to eject you." Slang terms such as, but not limited to, "knock it off;" "that's enough;" "don't say anything else;" or, "I've heard enough" do not constitute an official warning

Maybe there is an escape clause for him somewhere in the book..... There are 181 used of variants of the word eject.

One interesting cover all rule for FIELD umpires is as follows:

Field Umpire SECTION 8.
......or in ejecting any player for unsportsmanlike conduct or infractions as prescribed by the rules. This does not seem to cover coaches.

Might that be limited to umpire-in-chief? Like I said a big book.

More double speak follows:

d. Any umpire shall eject any player, coach, manager or trainer for violations of the Coaches’ and Players’ Code of Ethics (see page 8).

Coaching/Players’ Ethics 1. It is the coaches’ duty to be in control of their players at all times in order to prevent any unsportsmanlike act toward opponents, officials or spectators. 2. Coaches are expected to comply wholeheartedly with the intent and spirit of the rules. The deliberate teaching of players to violate the rules is indefensible. 3. Coaches must teach their players to respect the dignity of the game, officials, opponents and the institutions that they represent. 4. Coaches must confine their discussion with the game officials to the interpretations of the rules and not challenge umpire decisions involving judgment. 5. “Bench jockeying” will not be allowed. Coaches are to prohibit bench jockeying, which would include personal and malicious remarks, cursing and obscene language toward opponents, umpires or spectators. 6. Coaches must refrain from any personal action that might arouse players or spectators to unsportsmanlike behavior. 7. Coaches must expect from the umpires a courteous and dignified attitude toward players and themselves. 8. Coaches must seek help from school administrators in controlling unruly students and spectators.

Number 7 is interesting for sure.

Was there ever any indication that Coach was not complying with number 4? Never heard. Was he in conversation with the umpire-in-chief when the the village idiot tossed him? If it was ejection worthy why not let the UIC make the call after the appropriate warnings? Need to see a copy of the following:

Umpires must file an ejection report with the offending team’s conference administrator and/or athletics director, if applicable.

Wonder if that is covered by sunshine laws?

Ok, I am now eye weary, but letting these kinds of issues skate just irritate me.

I never got an answer (I don't think) to the question, WAS HE THE UMPIRE-IN-CHEIF FOR OUR GAME? The reason I continue to ask is IF he is not, why after TV had faced him briefly when he came in from 3rd and turned back to continue his inquiry with the plate ump when this guy gleefully turned his back, elevated and threw him out of the game, which of course brought on the response and the contact. It is not listed in the box score I found, but I would really like to know. Being ignored should not be a justification for ejection if he is not in charge.

If he was not in charge, who was? If he was it was a mistake assign him to a leadership position with his history.
Macias was the crew chief for the Bama series.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Macias was the crew chief for the Bama series.

Thanks, how did you determine that? So now I am confused about what is a crew chief (used 15 times in the book) and umpire-in-charge (used 39 times in the book) with the UIC being defined as the home plate ump for each game. Having both creates a conflict between the two. Though most in game admin calls seem to go through the UIC and replay and officially reporting suspensions to the crew chief.

But if Coach was addressing the home plate ump (which he was) when he was ejected, how does that play with the the rule previously posted:

g. No umpire shall criticize or interfere with another umpire’s decision, unless asked by the one making it; however, if there is a misinterpretation of a rule, it should be brought to the attention of the umpire-in-chief. I did not see the home plate ump request his assistance.

Then we need to know WAS he officially warned before he was ejected as is required with MOST ejection calls, or was the rule applied one than did not require it. Book is pretty consistent on that point.

Not arguing the suspension due to the contact which occurred after the ejection.

Sure want to see the ejection report the school had to receive with the details and timing of the offenses requiring ejection.

Ejection and Post-Participation Ejection SECTION 26.

.........Umpires must file an ejection report with the offending team’s conference administrator and/or athletics director, if applicable

Thanks, how did you determine that? So now I am confused about what is a crew chief (used 15 times in the book) and umpire-in-charge (used 39 times in the book) with the UIC being defined as the home plate ump for each game. Having both creates a conflict between the two. Though most in game admin calls seem to go through the UIC and replay and officially reporting suspensions to the crew chief.

But if Coach was addressing the home plate ump (which he was) when he was ejected, how does that play with the the rule previously posted:

g. No umpire shall criticize or interfere with another umpire’s decision, unless asked by the one making it; however, if there is a misinterpretation of a rule, it should be brought to the attention of the umpire-in-chief. I did not see the home plate ump request his assistance.

Then we need to know WAS he officially warned before he was ejected as is required with MOST ejection calls, or was the rule applied one than did not require it. Book is pretty consistent on that point.

Not arguing the suspension due to the contact which occurred after the ejection.

Sure want to see the ejection report the school had to receive with the details and timing of the offenses requiring ejection.

Ejection and Post-Participation Ejection SECTION 26.

.........Umpires must file an ejection report with the offending team’s conference administrator and/or athletics director, if applicable
As I understand it, the crew chief is usually the most senior member of the four man umpire crew. He acts as liaison between the crew and the league. He is the one who reports to league officials about any issues during a game, such as delays, protests, ejections, etc.
However, he has no more authority during a game than any other umpire. That rests with the umpire in chief or UIC. Who is usually the plate umpire. The UIC generally rotates between the four umpires. That is, the first game you are behind the plate. The next, you are at first base. Then second, third and back to the plate.
The UIC does have additional authority. He/she decides when to start the game and, if necessary, when to suspend the game. However the principle authority he or she has is that when two umpires make differing calls on the same play, the UIC decides which was in the better position to see the play and makes the decision.
So the crew chief only has more authority than the other umpires when it is his/her turn in the rotation to be the plate umpire or umpire in chief.

SOURCE: Quora

Last edited:

VN Store

Back