Texas Tech Job Open

VolnJC

With Texas and OU in the SEC now...TTU could make some noise with the right hire

With Texas and OU in the SEC now...TTU could make some noise with the right hire

It's difficult to get recruits to move to Lubbock though when there are so many other options within the state. Same thing holds true for UTEP. Leach won at Tech due to scheme and not major recruits. Tech is basically the New Mexico Lobos of Western Texas.

Reactions: wmcovol and VolnJC
It's difficult to get recruits to move to Lubbock though when there are so many other options within the state. Same thing holds true for UTEP. Leach won at Tech due to scheme and not major recruits. Tech is basically the New Mexico Lobos of Western Texas.
Yeah I remember that drive thru West Texas on our recent road trip lol

One possiblity I totally forgot about, until reminded by a Baylor fan, would be current USC OC Graham Harrell. He's a Tech grad, played for Leach and will be seeking employment soon. Decent backup plan if they whiff on their first choice (s).

Maybe the coach from UTSA? Who knows, maybe he doesn't see Tech as a big step up since UTSA is headed to AAC.

Texas Tech is a tough job. Its a long way from the metro areas in Texas. They'll got with Harrell as their first choice probably hoping to recreate the magic with PrettyBoy.

Maybe the coach from UTSA? Who knows, maybe he doesn't see Tech as a big step up since UTSA is headed to AAC.
I think he holds out for the TCU job or for Baylor if Aranda leaves. He's an East Texas boy so he might even consider Houston.

Holgy could be in hot water heading into the BIG XII. The UH president went on record about a decade ago saying she fires coaches that can only win 8 games. Thus far she has been true to her word.

Reactions: UTwild82
I think he holds out for the TCU job or for Baylor if Aranda leaves. He's an East Texas boy so he might even consider Houston.

Holgy could be in hot water heading into the BIG XII. The UH president went on record about a decade ago saying she fires coaches that can only win 8 games. Thus far she has been true to her word.

I dunno man. My understanding of the Holgerson situation is that the guy who owns the Rockets, Frittata or whatever his name would be is basically the UH version of the Haslems. He is by far their biggest booster and is responsible for getting Holgerson there. As long as the big money is on his side, hard to see Houston canning him.

I dunno man. My understanding of the Holgerson situation is that the guy who owns the Rockets, Frittata or whatever his name would be is basically the UH version of the Haslems. He is by far their biggest booster and is responsible for getting Holgerson there. As long as the big money is on his side, hard to see Houston canning him.
Tilman is definitely the money behind the athletic department. He is all about winning and paid for the remodel of UHs basketball area and is responsible for bringing in and retaining Kelvin Sampson. I'm not sure about his relationship with Holgerson but he is very tight with President Renu Khator. She made her statement at a joint alumni meeting with Tilman though.

Tilman Fertitta - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Tilman is definitely the money behind the athletic department. He is all about winning and paid for the remodel of UHs basketball area and is responsible for bringing in and retaining Kelvin Sampson. I'm not sure about his relationship with Holgerson but he is very tight with President Renu Khator. She made her statement at a joint alumni meeting with Tilman though.

Tilman Fertitta - Wikipedia

https://www.papercitymag.com/cultur...naire-tilman-fertitta-stealing-power-5-coach/

I would have to see Art Briles at presser accepting job before I would believe he will ever be a candidate for a major job again.
If I was an alum of a school and they trotted Art Briles out as HC I would burn down the football facilities.

I love football and I want to win, but not if a thing like that is the face of my program.

Tech has 40,000 students. It's 5 hours from Ft. Worth, 6 hours from Dallas. Want to guess where 25% of their students come from? Dallas/Ft. Worth. Tech can become a football power again. Heck, if UTSA can be ranked, and UTEP only has one loss, why can't Tech be competitive?

In my biased opinion, they can get there. I've been to games at TCU, Baylor, Rice, Texas, SMU, Houston, and Tech. Tech fans can be as rowdy and loud and supportive as they come. They just need the right coach. All in my opinion.

Tech has 40,000 students. It's 5 hours from Ft. Worth, 6 hours from Dallas. Want to guess where 25% of their students come from? Dallas/Ft. Worth. Tech can become a football power again. Heck, if UTSA can be ranked, and UTEP only has one loss, why can't Tech be competitive?

In my biased opinion, they can get there. I've been to games at TCU, Baylor, Rice, Texas, SMU, Houston, and Tech. Tech fans can be as rowdy and loud and supportive as they come. They just need the right coach. All in my opinion.
The same is true of every program though. We've been lucky with our last three hires and it looks like Fisher might have y'all headed in the right direction. The thing that A&M and Baylor have over Tech is the close proximity to fertile recruiting grounds.

If I was an alum of a school and they trotted Art Briles out as HC I would burn down the football facilities.

I love football and I want to win, but not if a thing like that is the face of my program.
I mean if he were hired at Tennessee I can't say I would turn my back on my University. But i totally would be embarrassed and would breathe a sigh of relief whenever he no longer was employed at Tennessee. I dont see any major schools taking that chance.

Reactions: UTwild82
Jeff Traylor... good hire
Here is the thing. Tech has all the money in the world but they won’t pay a legit coaching staff.. they can’t keep bringing in people the fan base isn’t excited about

They will never get the right coach unfortunately

Jeff Traylor... good hire
Here is the thing. Tech has all the money in the world but they won’t pay a legit coaching staff.. they can’t keep bringing in people the fan base isn’t excited about
Speaking of money, it will be hard for Tech to attract a decent coach after they invoked Sovereign Immunity to screw Leach out of his money.

VN Store

Back