Texas Democrats Walk Out

Presence should be irrelevant anyways. If your absent the vote should be registered as abstained on scheduled bills. This would make this situation a non-issue.
Actually the premise of the rules is good. It recognizes that both sides majority and minority need to participate. However it assumes the minorities won’t behave like a bunch of three year olds when they can’t get their way.

Haven't Republicans done this too in the past?

The difference between cowardice and bravery is often found in the angle one is viewing the situation from.

And before I get dogpiled, I don't agree with the maneuver. If they feel the bill is unjust there are other better ways to go about the process of dissent.

The difference between cowardice and bravery is often found in the angle one is viewing the situation from.

And before I get dogpiled, I don't agree with the maneuver. If they feel the bill is unjust there are other better ways to go about the process of dissent.
I know of one other time the Texas dems fled to New Mexico years back when I lived there. Do you know of a specific time when Texas republicans fled the state to avoid losing a vote?

I think House Democrats have done it and I believe Wisconsin (or some midwestern state) also have done it. I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans have done it.

It is antithetical to representative democracy and is wrong whichever party does it.

No idea what Texas law is on requiring members to be present and create a quorum, but overall meh and good for the Dems.

Protest away.

No it isn’t. It’s an appropriate response for their obstruction of executing their legislative duties they were sworn in to perform.
Are they required by law to be present to form a quorum under the threat of jail time/arrest?

VN Store

Back