Texas A&M

They could hire Urban today, though, and haven't. The sooner they fill the head coach job, the less "bleeding" they'll do in the portal and recruiting.

Right now, if you're a recruit or player, you're stuck in limbo. If they announced Urban was coming to College Station after Thanksgiving, some might be unhappy with that choice but it would be a direction.

Right now, who knows where aTm is going? That's really bad for the program. Urban is one of the few decent coaches they could hire immediately, but they didn't....... and they likely won't unless they can't get someone else.
Negotiations with someone like him aren't going to be short

Urban only takes over ready made winners.
I'm not sure A&M's roster is stacked enough for Urban to be interested.
I enjoyed him saying UT is a Top10 job. It was cool, but I don't think A&M has enough talent on offense to attract him.

Dabo would be another Jimbo. Doesn’t like NIL or the portal.

Urban won’t coach there.

They need to hire a P5 asst or a G5 HC.

Urban only takes over ready made winners.
I'm not sure A&M's roster is stacked enough for Urban to be interested.
I enjoyed him saying UT is a Top10 job. It was cool, but I don't think A&M has enough talent on offense to attract him.
I don't think Urban goes to A&M, but it would have similarities to when he took over UF.

Zook was a great recruiter who was perceived to have underachieved with the talent he had, although he had a better record at UF than Jimbo has had at A&M. And with the Portal, he could pretty quickly attract some offensive talent.

They could hire Urban today, though, and haven't. The sooner they fill the head coach job, the less "bleeding" they'll do in the portal and recruiting.

Right now, if you're a recruit or player, you're stuck in limbo. If they announced Urban was coming to College Station after Thanksgiving, some might be unhappy with that choice but it would be a direction.

Right now, who knows where aTm is going? That's really bad for the program. Urban is one of the few decent coaches they could hire immediately, but they didn't....... and they likely won't unless they can't get someone else.
For all we know, they could be in the heat of negotiations right now. Salary, buyout, perks, on and on.

I love how we fans glimpse the (carefully controlled) public view of just about anything and think we know what's going on. 😉

For all we know, they could be in the heat of negotiations right now. Salary, buyout, perks, on and on.

I love how we fans glimpse the (carefully controlled) public view of just about anything and think we know what's going on. 😉
Urban is one of the few they could approach openly and easily about the job, but not a hint from journalists who'd love to scoop that story.

My guess is it's someone currently working and things are much more discreet, but happening.

I'm all for it taking forever. The longer the recruits and players are left wondering, the more will consider flipping or the portal.

Kyle Whittingham would be someone I would give a call.
I think he wins anywhere.

Chris Klieman
Willie Fritz
Dave Clawson

There are some good coaches out there.
Lance Leipold is the best coach out there. He would be my choice for fallback if something happened to Heupel. He is such a good coach, I don't ever want him hired by any other program in the SEC.

Kyle Whittingham would be someone I would give a call.
I think he wins anywhere.

Chris Klieman
Willie Fritz
Dave Clawson

There are some good coaches out there.
Lance Leipold is the best coach out there. He would be my choice for fallback if something happened to Heupel. He is such a good coach, I don't ever want him hired by any other program in the SEC.

They’re working in a different tier than you’re thinking here

Reactions: VolNExile
They’re working in a different tier than you’re thinking here
They think they are.
A&M might have to pay past the $12-13mil mark to even interest the coaches they want.
An elite coach can make (something like) equal money where they already are, without the pressure of THOSE boosters and volatile politics of the AD, after the re-negotiation following interest from A&M.

I want to watch this.
This search will not only tell us about A&M, but also the coming coaching landscape.

I don't think Urban goes to A&M, but it would have similarities to when he took over UF.

Zook was a great recruiter who was perceived to have underachieved with the talent he had, although he had a better record at UF than Jimbo has had at A&M. And with the Portal, he could pretty quickly attract some offensive talent.
Urban doesn’t want to coach in the SEC again he’s almost 60 and has that cushy gig on Fox.

I could 100% see that happening. I don’t think USC is heading in the right direction so it would reset his clock and give him another 3 years or so

Riley wants no part of the SEC. That's how he ended up at USC in the first place.

Considering how his little bro is doing at Clemson this year, I'm not even so sure Lincoln wants a part of the ACC-much less the B10.

Reactions: EasternVol
Riley wants no part of the SEC. That's how he ended up at USC in the first place.

Considering how his little bro is doing at Clemson this year, I'm not even so sure Lincoln wants a part of the ACC-much less the B10.

That’s the claim. Neither you nor I know if that’s true. But more than anything I’d imagine he wants a job. USC is unlikely to be better next year with a new QB and a tougher schedule.

TAM could mean a raise, a larger buyout when they finally fire him, and maybe 2-3 extra years before he’s fired.

That’s the claim. Neither you nor I know if that’s true. But more than anything I’d imagine he wants a job. USC is unlikely to be better next year with a new QB and a tougher schedule.

TAM could mean a raise, a larger buyout when they finally fire him, and maybe 2-3 extra years before he’s fired.
It's sort of like contemplating marriage with an obnoxious but filthy rich guy - how much can you put up with for how many years, and how much can you be cast-iron assured of getting when the inevitable happens?

Rumor is SC is paying him $11 million/year fully guaranteed. They fire him after this season they owe him somewhere around $88 million. More than even Jimbo got lol

Between Jimbo bombing on his updated contract, BK not exactly burning it up at LSU, and Riley treading water at USC-you may see these big contracts slow down until they are earned. Does Saban deserve that kinda $, yep. Ditto Kirby

Hard to really argue that most of the recent big $ hires have been worth it

SI says A&M is telling candidates up front $7mil/annually (+ incentives) is the ceiling, @15th nationally.
That is $2mil less than Heupel makes.
That definitely puts a ceiling on who they can call.

Jeff Traylor is the name I have read the most. UTSA.
That is a step down from the names I was throwing out there in post #36. That salary cap means they play it close to the vest and don't swing for the fences.
They learned their lesson with Jimbo, maybe.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
SI says A&M is telling candidates up front $7mil/annually (+ incentives) is the ceiling, @15th nationally.
That is $2mil less than Heupel makes.
That definitely puts a ceiling on who they can call.

Jeff Traylor is the name I have read the most. UTSA.
That is a step down from the names I was throwing out there in post #36. That salary cap means they play it close to the vest and don't swing for the fences.
They learned their lesson with Jimbo, maybe.
If they're only going up to $7M, Urban won't even bother calling them back. He made about $6M with Ohio State in 2017 and reportedly makes about $7M sitting on his tail for Fox.

Traylor or Elco will look at that money and aTm as a step up but few really established coaches are going to work for $7M/yr.

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back