Texas A&M Mess and the Transfer Portal

vol_in_ga

Vols Deep
The best class ever signed last year, something like 8 5stars and 20 more 4stars, and they might not make a bowl game, and many of those players haven’t seen playing time. Jimbo Fisher is the biggest financial mistake of any program in the past decade, and despite the amount of money in Texas, his buyout is too big to let him go, whether they can afford it or not, whether he deserves it or not, because of the look it would have and because of the water on their face already. I guess they could turn it around and make a big leap next year but it would likely mean a lot of changes of which I’m not sure exactly what they’d need to be. Jimbo will certainly be working long nights this off-season, if he cares.

Many will test the portal. Many will head elsewhere. Will Tennessee be one of those who benefit? We certainly could use veteran help in the secondary, rb, te, offensive line, and lb units. I’m very interested to see what we do in the portal, as we didn’t do a whole lot last year - but those who came have been impactful. We’ve heard nothing, and yet are being told this year is supposed to be last year to the nth degree from a wild Wild West perspective. Coaches aren’t supposed to be contacting players at other schools (though we know some have *cough* Lincoln Riley *cough*). What about players? I wonder if coaches have targeted players on other teams and had current players peer recruit in advance of the portal opening. Should be interesting to watch. Here’s an article on TAMU situation for reference.

Paul Finebaum rips Jimbo Fisher, expects Texas A&M football recruiting challenges and player transfers

Mods: please move to recruiting if more relevant there. Seamed more of a general Tennessee football and ncaa discussion, but wasn’t sure where to put.

Those NIL deals might dissuade them from leaving TAMU.
NIL deals are not team specific. We don’t know to what extent they can tailor the language to handcuff them to a school, but at least explicitly stated by the ncaa, the nil deals cannot beholden said player to a specific school.

And I’m sure if the player is good enough, other teams will find someone willing to make it worth their while.

NIL deals are not team specific. We don’t know to what extent they can tailor the language to handcuff them to a school, but at least explicitly stated by the ncaa, the nil deals cannot beholden said player to a specific school.

And I’m sure if the player is good enough, other teams will find someone willing to make it worth their while.
If I were writing the contract, it would require X number of appearances at the sponsoring business each semester. If the NIL participant (student) could not fulfill his job, he was released. Just like a Non-Athlete student getting a job at Calhoun's. If they cannot show up for work, they no longer work there.

You are correct.

What would basically tie a player to a team or at least an area.

Personal appearance requirements. Would be hard for a guy transferring to Knoxville to make a personal appearance in College Station on a Weds. afternoon in October.

Player cannot fulfill the contract, then the player cannot expect the deal holder to honor the contract either.

If I were writing the contract, it would require X number of appearances at the sponsoring business each semester. If the NIL participant (student) could not fulfill his job, he was released. Just like a Non-Athlete student getting a job at Calhoun's. If they cannot show up for work, they no longer work there.

Great minds think alike apparently 😂

Reactions: VolDave53

Hahahahahahahahaha

I really don’t think the NIL deal is that much of a driving force as y’all make it sound. To me it’s a get in the door thing, but it wouldn’t be the main factor if I’m a player with bigger goals than just college. Ex: If I’ve got an NIL deal that pays say $300k over 4 years but I’m not seeing the field and my team is in the dump ie jimbo and the aggies, I would ditch that deal and take a lesser one somewhere else that gave me a better chance to maximize my future NIL and professional playing prospects. That’s still the big prize. NIL deal - amounts particularly - are probably most pivotal to those who don’t have an nfl career on the line.

Reactions: VolDave53
My guess would be that these NIL deals aren't very binding either way, that kids can leave the school but they also leave the deal behind, which won't matter much if they have a better deal where they are going to.

Reactions: markus
My guess would be that these NIL deals aren't very binding either way, that kids can leave the school but they also leave the deal behind, which won't matter much if they have a better deal where they are going to.
a

agree they are not that restrictive

Just watched Josh Pate talking about the portal and what’s coming this years on LK a couple of days ago . He’s says there are going to be thousands of kids in the portal . He makes a valid point about the majority of these kids having the most earning potential “right now “ than they will have for the rest of their lives , so they will be looking for the best packages for themselves that they can find .

Reactions: Sara Clark
I really don't get why Jimbo doesn't go pull anyone from any team with a serviceable and at least semi-modern offense.

Their OL is extremely young. That translates into losses. They'll be better in the future.

The best class ever signed last year, something like 8 5stars and 20 more 4stars, and they might not make a bowl game, and many of those players haven’t seen playing time. Jimbo Fisher is the biggest financial mistake of any program in the past decade, and despite the amount of money in Texas, his buyout is too big to let him go, whether they can afford it or not, whether he deserves it or not, because of the look it would have and because of the water on their face already. I guess they could turn it around and make a big leap next year but it would likely mean a lot of changes of which I’m not sure exactly what they’d need to be. Jimbo will certainly be working long nights this off-season, if he cares.

Many will test the portal. Many will head elsewhere. Will Tennessee be one of those who benefit? We certainly could use veteran help in the secondary, rb, te, offensive line, and lb units. I’m very interested to see what we do in the portal, as we didn’t do a whole lot last year - but those who came have been impactful. We’ve heard nothing, and yet are being told this year is supposed to be last year to the nth degree from a wild Wild West perspective. Coaches aren’t supposed to be contacting players at other schools (though we know some have *cough* Lincoln Riley *cough*). What about players? I wonder if coaches have targeted players on other teams and had current players peer recruit in advance of the portal opening. Should be interesting to watch. Here’s an article on TAMU situation for reference.

Paul Finebaum rips Jimbo Fisher, expects Texas A&M football recruiting challenges and player transfers

Mods: please move to recruiting if more relevant there. Seamed more of a general Tennessee football and ncaa discussion, but wasn’t sure where to put.
The question you have to ask yourself is why such a talent laden team is playing the way that it is. Is it coaching? Is it scheme? Or is it the "culture"? Just because a kid has 4 or 5 stars by his name doesn't mean he's a good choice for this program. Maybe some of these kids aren't really committed to football? Maybe they're committed to the money? You get something for nothing or in this case, very little and sometimes you lose....forgive the comparison...the eye of the tiger. Do you want someone like that in the locker room? I certainly don't. Look, I know that "college" and "amateur" aren't synonymous in today's game, but when you have so many guys focused on "I" and "me" on your roster instead of "team", you're not going to get the results you'd normally expect from recruiting like aTm has been doing. No, I'm not sure just raiding aTm's roster is wise. I think there may be some guys on that team that you know from recruiting them and you know what drives them. If those cats are at a position of need, fine. But to base it on "star" power is short sighted, naive and a mistake IMO.

The question you have to ask yourself is why such a talent laden team is playing the way that it is. Is it coaching? Is it scheme? Or is it the "culture"? Just because a kid has 4 or 5 stars by his name doesn't mean he's a good choice for this program. Maybe some of these kids aren't really committed to football? Maybe they're committed to the money? You get something for nothing or in this case, very little and sometimes you lose....forgive the comparison...the eye of the tiger. Do you want someone like that in the locker room? I certainly don't. Look, I know that "college" and "amateur" aren't synonymous in today's game, but when you have so many guys focused on "I" and "me" on your roster instead of "team", you're not going to get the results you'd normally expect from recruiting like aTm has been doing. No, I'm not sure just raiding aTm's roster is wise. I think there may be some guys on that team that you know from recruiting them and you know what drives them. If those cats are at a position of need, fine. But to base it on "star" power is short sighted, naive and a mistake IMO.
Fair take.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Just watched Josh Pate talking about the portal and what’s coming this years on LK a couple of days ago . He’s says there are going to be thousands of kids in the portal . He makes a valid point about the majority of these kids having the most earning potential “right now “ than they will have for the rest of their lives , so they will be looking for the best packages for themselves that they can find .
But will we be impacted by that? are those the kids we’re after? Think it’s fair to say if you are ranked top 5 and going to go 11-1, you have the luxury of focusing on those who do have nfl prospects, and the conversation with them is likely much different.

Reactions: tbh
Those NIL deals might dissuade them from leaving TAMU.

If their original deals are above current market value then for sure it is a major factor. They would have to calculate that their NFL prospects at another institution at the end of their college career gives them a risk/reward calculation to deal with. Bird in hand is a factor.

Jimbo won 83 games in 8 years at FSU. Makes you wonder what the deal is at A&M.
Bad culture? Crazy boosters meddling? He's 57, he didn't just suddenly forget how to coach.

Whatever the reason, the wheels have certainly fallen off.

He doesn’t have Jameis Winston to hang onto anymore

But will we be impacted by that? are those the kids we’re after? Think it’s fair to say if you are ranked top 5 and going to go 11-1, you have the luxury of focusing on those who do have nfl prospects, and the conversation with them is likely much different.

He was on the topic of A&M at the time and just broadened it out as a general statement I believe .

Honestly, I know it looks bad, but it isn’t anything strong solid leadership wouldn’t make right. They need to figure out how to lead Jimbo and in doing so finding what’s misfiring and help fix it. Part of me hopes they don’t because they could be so good, but part of me (for the kids) hopes they do. Of course, with the advent of NIL- they’re professionals now and it’s hard to feel sorry for people with so much control over their destiny.

But this is specific to Texas A& M, who I think overpaid on the front end. I don't think these players will be able to find similar deals anywhere else, especially with some of their eligibility gone.

The time to strike the best in NIL deal is out of high school or after you've proven yourself in college.

But this is specific to Texas A& M, who I think overpaid on the front end. I don't think these players will be able to find similar deals anywhere else, especially with some of their eligibility gone.

The time to strike the best in NIL deal is out of high school or after you've proven yourself in college.
My point is that these NIL deals across CFB aren't going to restrict player mobility much, if at all.

VN Store

Back