Tess Darby offer story

Can't wait to hear her cool-sounding name on the TBA loudspeaker after making her first bucket: "Tess DAAAAARRRRRRRBYYYYYYY for three!" :p

Reactions: T_Vol376 and ttharp
Here are her stats through three EYBL tournaments:

Boo Williams [5 games]: In 11.6 MPG, 6.8 PPG (41.7 FG%, 38.1 FG%, 6-8 FT%), 2.0 RPG, .6 APG, .4 TOPG

Louisville [5 games]: In 12.8 MPG, 6.4 PPG (27.3 FG%, 26.9 3FG%, 87.5 FT%), 1.0 RPG, .4 APG, .2 TOPG

Nike Nationals [5 games]: In 17.0 MPG, 10.0 PPG (40.0 FG%, 38.7 3FG%, 66.7 FT%), 2.4 RPG, .6 APG, 1.2 TOPG

Do you think they can hold off West Virginia, Texas Tech, Illinois, and Georgia Tech?
I think/hope so. Tears of joy flowing after the UT offer obviously bode very well for us.

If she can look past the fact that this was for the most part a desperation offer (to a very talented player) after missing out on some higher ranked targets, then we’re in good shape.

I think/hope so. Tears of joy flowing after the UT offer obviously bode very well for us.

If she can look past the fact that this was for the most part a desperation offer (to a very talented player) after missing out on some higher ranked targets, then we’re in good shape.
I don’t think she’ll look at it that way. She didn’t pick up those offers until a very productive AAU season in the summer. I think she was overlooked because she didn’t play on an elite AAU team until she played with TN Flight over the summer

I don’t think she’ll look at it that way. She didn’t pick up those offers until a very productive AAU season in the summer. I think she was overlooked because she didn’t play on an elite AAU team until she played with TN Flight over the summer
She’s nowhere near the talent level we are used to

I expect Coach Kellie’s had worse things said about her, and she will defend her recruiting approach only with on-court results; but for now, I’ll withhold judgement. Besides, we’re a recruiting cycle or two away from knowing how good or bad she will be.
But, desperate?
And, I’ve heard Patricia Sue’s dad’s “Donkeys to Race Horse” analysis - an approach that, quite bluntly, came back to haunt us in some huge games. Games when our opponents also boxed out and hustled on defense; but when they had possession, they moved and distributed better than us. They had more, better passers and shooters than us. It’s no coincidence that Coach Kellie (whether or not she signs them) is placing a high premium on the more diverse, multidimensional players.

It’s very unfortunate that this amazing kid from Greenfield has been placed front and center as the kind of player who just doesn’t measure up; the player that (some of) this incredible VolNation brain trust has determined not to fit the prototype.
Grab the vomit bag!

The potential is especially in that shot. The staff would have the task of developing her and training her sufficiently on defense in order to get her on the floor to implement her as a weapon on offense.

“Nowhere near the talent level we are used to” is a bit overstated. I can recall similar skill sets (and lack thereof) in former (and one current) players. I can recall all too frequently suffering defeats at the hands of teams comprised of similar talent levels (Va. Tech, Penn St., Alabama, Ole Miss, etc). Notre Dame and Stanford quickly come to mind utilizing similar players effectively in their offensive schemes. The staff just has to be willing to invest and creatively and laboriously make it happen.

I will bite since I'm ready for the season to start:
I tend to agree her numbers are pedestrian though I wouldn't call it a desperation offer either. Last season I watched the LVs more than a few times and honestly the only players who struck me as having the talent level of the LVs of old were Westbrook, Davis, and Z Greene, despite the fact several others had high rankings out of high school. We will never know if the problem was talent evaluation, talent development or a little of both.

Regardless it will take Harper time. No one should expect a FF team this year, or likely E8. The focus this year should be on returning to a state of excellence, winning the games they should win, teaching players fundamentals and gaining back some of the respect the LVs once held across the sport.

This is not a desperation situation. This player has bb skills that can be developed.....

The third Hayes sister just verbaled to Notre Dame . Prospect Nation does not list her in top 100..... Hoopgurlz list her at #44 ! Her sister (Annie ) came to UT as a top #10 guard ! We thought we were getting a top ten recruit... We know how that turned out ! The question is WHY would Norte Dame want a player who some think she is not a top 100 player ?
I have watched their high school girls basketball team (Riverdale) for several years . That being said .... I would take Alasia over Annie every time. And evidently so would Norte Dame !
This Tess Darby is not a desperation reach. Let’s see if she comes ?

Reactions: Bret178
I think Kellie has an excellent eye for talent, and so I think she made an excellent choice by offering Tess Darby.

In all my years of watching kids play basketball, there have been many times when, for some, it seemed like the light came on practically overnight for them physically and mentally.

It sounds to me like the light came on for Tess this summer, and Kellie is just fortunate to be able to offer before another program snags her. My feeling is that with the love for the program that Darby has expressed, along with her recent leap in her skill set, if she is as coachable as I think she’ll be — assuming she declares for UT — then I believe we’ll have a real gem of a Lady Vol in the future.

I believe that Kellie will be able to put in offenses that will open up shot opportunities for players like Darby — just like Pat did for Jolly herself. I am looking forward to seeing the type of effective, technically-precise screening that gives outside shooters a chance to get shots off.

I always think about how Connecticut’s Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis — not a speedy player — was able to lead the Huskies in scoring because she was able to use the great screens her teammates set for her.

This has NOT been something Tennessee has been good at doing, which is why the shooters we’ve recruited haven’t succeeded. I am confident that Kellie WILL — in time — be able to get the Lady Vols those skills. And if she doesn’t already know how to teach those skills, I am confident that she has both the intellectual curiosity and will to find out from other sources how to do it.

I feel like the program had become stale from complacency. Kellie Harper and her staff have a new energy and vision that I trust to get the Lady Vols back to winning championships. I don’t expect one this season, but I DO expect to see a whole different attitude.

Last edited:
she is ours!
I believe she is ours but not ever gonna say 100 percent until it happens. I remember a couple years ago in softball we had a girl committed from West Tennessee and at the last minute she backed out and went to UT Martin. I don't think Tess will do that but UT Martin is only 10 miles from where she lives. We need that coach to stay away.

Reactions: GameTime
I believe she is ours but not ever gonna say 100 percent until it happens. I remember a couple years ago in softball we had a girl committed from West Tennessee and at the last minute she backed out and went to UT Martin. I don't think Tess will do that but UT Martin is only 10 miles from where she lives. We need that coach to stay away.
I know that young lady you speak of and she actually went to orientation in Knoxville with her mother but had other personal issues which I don't think will happen here! I am from West Tn but know nothing about Tess just reading between the lines!

Last edited:
We are all hoping we have seen the last of the "throw the ball to the tall girl offense" around here.....And not forgetting the throw the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock almost runs out, and then just "fling it" toward the general direction of the goal....Seeing shooting screens, set for shooters, may be too much for some of us fans to handle....

Have seen very little of this young lady playing basketball, but if coach Harper likes her, then that's fine with me. Any young lady that breaks down in tears at being offered by the Lady Vols is Aces with me.

GO LADY VOLS.....

Can't wait to hear her cool-sounding name on the TBA loudspeaker after making her first bucket: "Tess DAAAAARRRRRRRBYYYYYYY for three!" :p

I would love to be the person who does that! It would be so cool and fun. I announced middle school baseball years ago and loved it. I had play lists, sound effects, walk up songs for the players, etc. I was a bit extra with it! 😂

VN Store

Back