TEs Downfield

I think what aggravates me (almost) more than anything from Saturday's game is we needed 4th and Forever to even test those middle of the field zones with the tight end. Warren made a solid play even though he ended up being called short of the 1st down. This has just been massively missing from our offense since at least Mychel Rivera's SR season. Butch's offense didn't use Wolf quite right and Pruitt had a revolving door of TEs, a lot of injuries, and needed them to block more.

I just think they need to dial this up more often than in desperation mode, especially off those play action/RPO looks.

Seems like we were using TEs to start the season but now they have disappeared.

Yeah, our offense is miles better under Heupel than it was Pruitt, but I just miss those beautiful midfield streak routes in the soft spot of the zone that we used to run with guys like Witten, Stocker, and Rivera. Hopefully, they can work this in a little more because Warren has shown he has reliable hands. Fant is a little hit or miss at times, but I think it would take some pressure off the WR's to get open downfield.

Seems like we were using TEs to start the season but now they have disappeared.

TEs are usually, but not always, i.e., Gronkowski, Pitts, etc., possession receivers, and Heupel's system gets the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.

TEs are usually, but not always, i.e., Gronkowski, Pitts, etc., possession receivers, and Heupel's system gets the ball in the hands of your best playmakers.

Agreed, you can tell Heupel wants it in the hands of Evans, Hooker, Jones, and Tillman more than anyone. I just think if the defense can dial in on 3-4 guys, things can also start to get predictable, which is where it seems we run into trouble in the 2nd half of most games (Ole Miss we played better in the 2nd half than 1st). A few more of those RPOs where they pull it back and drill it to Warren or Fant downfield might open the field up though.

Reactions: ftsandersvol
Agreed, you can tell Heupel wants it in the hands of Evans, Hooker, Jones, and Tillman more than anyone. I just think if the defense can dial in on 3-4 guys, things can also start to get predictable, which is where it seems we run into trouble in the 2nd half of most games (Ole Miss we played better in the 2nd half than 1st). A few more of those RPOs where they pull it back and drill it to Warren or Fant downfield might open the field up though.

Being predictable in any sport usually does not end well.

Warrens play may or may not have got a first down,I could not see where the ball was exactly when he went down.My problem is the officials spotted the ball 2 yds. behind where it should have been.It wasn't even close to where it should have been spotted.I can't see how a ref could miss a spot that bad unless he was trying to make sure it wasn't a first down.Fans have come to believe that if a call is important and close it always goes the other way.I tend to think the same way!

Attachments

• Gods message board.gif
    Gods message board.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back