Terry McDaniel

DOCTORLOOMIS

Smith’s Grove - Warren County Sanitarium
I’ve been watching old Raider games specifically from 1994 in order to video match some jerseys. The various commentators simply gush over Terry McDaniel. In more than one game they say there’s not a finer corner in the NFL. I had simply forgotten how great he was.

One of my very favorites. Combination of athleticism, football skill and intelligence that was as good as anyone to wear the orange. His 90 yards of lead blocking for Darrin Millers lateral return against Iowa was unreal. I have him in the top 10 of all time Vol football players. No offense to the preseason Volnation thread that ranked him over 150th.

I’ve been watching old Raider games specifically from 1994 in order to video match some jerseys. The various commentators simply gush over Terry McDaniel. In more than one game they say there’s not a finer corner in the NFL. I had simply forgotten how great he was.
dude could fly , run ya down and strip the ball

One of those track guys that UT football had a lot of back then. Blazing speed. Multi-time pro bowler.

Terry is a good example of coaches making a decision to switch a player from offense to defensive. He was a really good WR when he was recruited and look what he did in college and the pros as a DB.

Terry is a good example of coaches making a decision to switch a player from offense to defensive. He was a really good WR when he was recruited and look what he did in college and the pros as a DB.
He was switched to DB for the 1985 Sugar Bowl vs Miami when both of our CB's were out. Vols won 35-7 and Terry had an INT.

They were all great players.

But, I don’t think Deon Grant gets the full recognition he deserves. An incredible safety. And an all-time great Vol.

Grant's late game interception against UF was a absolute thing of beauty. The UF WR even brought his arms in front of him b/c he thought he cradled the ball for a second or two!

McDaniel was awesome. Period.

T Mac is an even BETTER PERSON! Loves God, his family. I've known him for almost 40 years. Just a great great guy.

Sam, does T Mac come around UT much? Seems like a lot of ex-players are seen more these days. Would love to see him recognized someway - even it was a flash on the jumbotron.

They were all great players.

But, I don’t think Deon Grant gets the full recognition he deserves. An incredible safety. And an all-time great Vol.
I think Deon is understood as all time great safety VFL. If you told me to pick my "all time Vol team", he'd be on my roster. QB's knew with him if you throw a pass over the middle it had a good chance of being intercepted....a true centerfielder.

I think Deon is understood as all time great safety VFL. If you told me to pick my "all time Vol team", he'd be on my roster. QB's knew with him if you throw a pass over the middle it had a good chance of being intercepted....a true centerfielder.
That play against Florida in 98 was the essence of what coaches want from free safety. The "ERASER". A certain touchdown pass or at least monstrous gain from a foot race and ball hawking safety comes and snatches it out of the air.

The Auburn game was spectacular too showed his instincts.

Wish we had a clone, as long as I'm wishing add Deon Grant and Terry Fair[/QUOTI'd.

We used to have top defensive backs all over the place. Many were also track guys.

When Dewayne Goodrich came out of high school he was one of the top DBs in the country if not the top.

Those were the old days of recruiting.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
McDaniel was like 3rd team CB on the 1985 Tennessee team. In the Sugar Bowl vs MIami, Tenn 2 starting CBs were out. McDaniel played late and completely shut down the miami speed receiver (not Irvin) and made a big INT in the 4th qtr.

Miami thought they had team speed until that night. Tennessee blew by them the entire game from every position.......

Reactions: HeadVol77
I don't think many realize what a player talent advantage we had for about 10 years. Many years had a top 5 class. Similar to Bama and UGA now.

Reactions: HeadVol77
Sam, does T Mac come around UT much? Seems like a lot of ex-players are seen more these days. Would love to see him recognized someway - even it was a flash on the jumbotron.

He had a son that was being recruited several years ago and met T Mac and the family at the alumni suite at Neyland. He was very friendly, down to earth guy. I believe he had 2 sons with him at the time and they were very polite.
I remember old campus legends that said T Mac would bet other athletes that he could back peddle faster than they could run forward... and he WON quite a few times. Spectacular athlete. Literally... T mac and Lester Hayes were 2 of the best 3 corners to ever play for the Raiders. Along with Mike Haynes. IMO.

Wish we had a clone, as long as I'm wishing add Deon Grant and Terry Fair

I ain’t a coach but I remember well how these three, and a handful of others, gave us a solid backend. If I’m Tim Banks, I’d beg Danny White to send the UT plane to get these guys and bring them back to spend some time with our current DBs. Lock them in a room for a day or two and have them break down film. Far more important: explain to them that being successful in an SEC secondary requires a headhunter attitude, a killer instinct, beyond your speed, quickness, agility, strength, etc. If you ain’t got that bloodthirst in your veins to take somebody’s head off, son, switch positions.

As a bonus, they might even be able to show our DBs how to tackle.

Reactions: Caculator
He has lived in Knoxville since the late 90's when he retired from the NFL. West Knoxville, keeps a low profile. Works at his church. Kids went to Bearden I believe.

I don't think many realize what a player talent advantage we had for about 10 years. Many years had a top 5 class. Similar to Bama and UGA now.
Sadly, that's faded from most peoples' memories. Most SEC schools have had down years, but with their most recent glory days, their own fanbase and others don't recall the lean times.

I agree....also Dale Carter

Reactions: njvols

VN Store

Back