Terry Bowden: Jeremy Pruitt ‘part of’ Tennessee rebound, but Phillip Fulmer key

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Terry Bowden: Jeremy Pruitt 'part of' Tennessee rebound, but Phillip Fulmer key

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Terry Bowden remembers the challenges from his first year as a head football coach in the SEC, taking over an Auburn program that was on probation and coming off seasons of 5-6 and 5-5-1.
So if anyone can appreciate the challenge Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt has ahead of him, it’s Bowden.
The difference, Bowden told SEC Country, is that Pruitt has a College Football Hall of Fame coach overseeing him as the athletic director.
Phillip Fulmer the key

“If Tennessee gets the right coach, they can go all around the country and recruit whoever they want,” Bowden said. “I believe Pruitt is a part of it, but what gives them a chance is that they hired Phil Fulmer as the athletic director.”

“Phil Fulmer knew what it took to win there, and now as the athletic director he will know what it takes to win and go national,” Bowden aid. “Having him as the AD, I think he could have coached there a long time, but he knows what it takes to compete and what that coach will need to win at Tennessee.

A great read, and I agree with Terry 100%. Fulmer wants to see TN back on top as much as any of us and he'll give Pruitt all the resources he needs to return us to our former glory.

Maybe, the worst is finally behind us Nation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 people
It just makes a world of difference when you can trust your boss (& the other direction is just as important!).

Reactions: 4 people
I went back and read the whole thing, and what caught my eye was, if Bowden can go 11-0 his first year, then Pruitt can go 10-2 or 11-1 in his. 💥👍🧐

Reactions: 2 people
The more I see of Phillip Fulmer (only on video) the more impressed I am with him.

He is a great ambassador for UT.

People really seem to like him when they meet him. I expect him to be involved in the recruiting process when asked by a coach.

I think Terry Bowden was right. We made a great hire! (Unfortunately, it cost Bev Davenport her job)

I can’t wait for the season to start!

Reactions: 3 people
I've always liked Phil (go ahead and roast me. He did falter some towards the end but hey... he is human too, bound to fall at some point.

If Phil can control the interior tug of war at bay hopefully in the next year or two things will improve dramatically. It's time, I've been as patient as a man can be.

Go Big Orange!

Reactions: 2 people
He survived a battered fan base that chose sides between him and Majors.
Thru all of his good and bad times, he has always loved UT.

Reactions: 5 people
While he considers having a HOF coach as AD a major factor, I really enjoy how he lays out why he thinks Pruitt will be successful.

Nice words but you're talking about one guy who coached an sec team in the 90s commenting on another guy who coached an sec team in the 90s.

No doubt that Phil was a recruiting juggernaut and knew what it took to win (except when playing florida).

But there came a time when Phil's way of doing things went out of favor and he began to get his butt handed to him by Les Miles, Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

It remains to be seen if he knows how to recruit/win in today's environment. This is one area where Phil's prior accolades and achievements may not hold any sway since most of these kids weren't even born when Phil was at the top of his game.

Terry Bowden: Jeremy Pruitt 'part of' Tennessee rebound, but Phillip Fulmer key

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Terry Bowden remembers the challenges from his first year as a head football coach in the SEC, taking over an Auburn program that was on probation and coming off seasons of 5-6 and 5-5-1.
So if anyone can appreciate the challenge Tennessee football coach Jeremy Pruitt has ahead of him, it’s Bowden.
The difference, Bowden told SEC Country, is that Pruitt has a College Football Hall of Fame coach overseeing him as the athletic director.
Phillip Fulmer the key

“If Tennessee gets the right coach, they can go all around the country and recruit whoever they want,” Bowden said. “I believe Pruitt is a part of it, but what gives them a chance is that they hired Phil Fulmer as the athletic director.”

“Phil Fulmer knew what it took to win there, and now as the athletic director he will know what it takes to win and go national,” Bowden aid. “Having him as the AD, I think he could have coached there a long time, but he knows what it takes to compete and what that coach will need to win at Tennessee.

A great read, and I agree with Terry 100%. Fulmer wants to see TN back on top as much as any of us and he'll give Pruitt all the resources he needs to return us to our former glory.

Maybe, the worst is finally behind us Nation.

In my humble way these have been my feelings ever sense Coach P was hired. Whether he is like or not, Fulmer is the key going forward. He can and will run interference for Pruitt and any coach that is doing it right and improving his program, regardless of the sport. Now as to women's basketball,,,,,, time will tell and that time is getting short.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice words but you're talking about one guy who coached an sec team in the 90s commenting on another guy who coached an sec team in the 90s.

No doubt that Phil was a recruiting juggernaut and knew what it took to win (except when playing florida).

But there came a time when Phil's way of doing things went out of favor and he began to get his butt handed to him by Les Miles, Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

It remains to be seen if he knows how to recruit/win in today's environment. This is one area where Phil's prior accolades and achievements may not hold any sway since most of these kids weren't even born when Phil was at the top of his game.

It's not what he can or will do "hands on". It is the knowledge he has amassed over the years through the life of a coach. If he applies what he as learned well and that knowledge is heeded, then things are going to be fun to watch in the coming years.
It's not about him getting in they way trying to coach or recruit, that is, unless he ask for that kind of help.

Reactions: 4 people

When coach Fulmer is talking to coach Pruitt he's speaking from experience. He can help CJP navigate the potholes and pitfalls a HC may inadvertently slip into. Been there done that.

Nobody, including those that don't like/support CPF, can say that Phil doesn't give his ALL to Tennessee 24/7. His love for everything orange will help propel us to the top of the SEC and the NCAA.

Nobody, including those that don't like/support CPF, can say that Phil doesn't give his ALL to Tennessee 24/7. His love for everything orange will help propel us to the top of the SEC and the NCAA.

We will see. Let’s all hope so. Football coach as a.d. used to be commonplace, especially in sec. not so much now. Fingers crossed.

Bowden makes no sense. Wouldn't we be a lot better off with an AD whose qualifications are P5 experience in the position, an MBA, years of navigating up (read: ki$$ing a$$e$) the government education political bureaucracy ladder, smoozing don0rs, direct connection to NFL ownership(0-16 ownership), and sports experiences of rec league soccers as a kid, and a solid backup in church league bball? Pruitt could build a dynasty off such a foundation IMO!

Last edited:
Fulmer running the football program is good for the football program.

No reason to think he will get in the way of CJP

Last edited:
Good OP I hope you are right. Dipping from 95-2007 caliber teams to this last decade of drivel hasbeen bad for my mental health. My wife has recently been converted to a Tennessee fan and as far as she has seen program is on the Kentucky, Scjr level. It's a dayum tragedy. Im thinking two more years and we have reached the end of that dark road.

Bowden makes no sense. Wouldn't we be a lot better off with an AD whose qualifications are D1 experience in the position, an MBA, years of navigating up (read: ki$$ing a$$e$) the government education political bureaucracy ladder, smoozing don0rs, direct connection to NFL ownership(0-16 ownership), and sports experiences of rec league soccers as a kid, and a solid backup in church league bball? Pruitt could build a dynasty off such a foundation IMO!

Lol Livefaith I love the Sarcasm.

Alrighty then. You certainly got a like from me, DD. It's nice to get good news in the midst of so many doom-n-gloom negavols. Here's to a 2018 season filled with optimism for even the hardest of hard heads.

SEC country goons are saying that Fulmer is gonna be in Pruitt’s way and if things go wrong it’s all on Fulmer, the media is dying to stir up drama between the program and how Tennessee treated Fulmer as a HC. I believe Fulmer wants Tennessee back on top and I believe it’s going to head that direction only time will tell but I feel positive about the direction it’s heading in now..

SEC country goons are saying that Fulmer is gonna be in Pruitt’s way and if things go wrong it’s all on Fulmer, the media is dying to stir up drama between the program and how Tennessee treated Fulmer as a HC. I believe Fulmer wants Tennessee back on top and I believe it’s going to head that direction only time will tell but I feel positive about the direction it’s heading in now..

Me too. Having him in the position is a tremendous advantage for us from a "hands-on" sports perspective. Also, it's hard to imagine Phil not being a star on the fundraising and donor trail. I know he's not universally praised due to the original falloff of the team. But, having Phil walk up and shake hands (giant gaudy ring in tow) with millionaires has to have a + effect. Especially compared to your average State bureaucrat snake oil salesman type. Now, from a financial statement, debt/income ratio, and forecasting point of view, maybe he'll need some support.

Home run hire imo. Grand Slam in the 9th inning, 2 outs, down 3 points, in the 7th inning hire, when the timing of last year's events are factored in.

Fulmer running the football program is good for the football program.

No reason to think he will get in the way of CJP

Hopefully he gets in his way as badly as the last HC turned AD did, while Phil was the coach. That was a pretty good "way" if you ask me. :good!:

I think we all know that the trash SEC Country prints is garbage. One would think that John Adams was its editor.

VN Store

Back