Terrible performance

How do you miss 26 3s? That's hard to do in one game. Defense was bad as well, and no inside scoring.

I'm thinking this is the most concerning part. Hopefully, we learn from this, and start focusing on it more.

I still believe in defense first, then an inside to outside basketball offense. That's the winning formula to a National Championship.
That’s what Barnes believed for 30 years of coaching. Then he started listening to the analytics nerds and their “all midrange shots are bad” nonsense

Yeah, hard to find anything good to say about that one. Biggest concern to me is the post play. I had huge hopes for ORN, and I'm starting to wonder. Still think it'll be a very good team, but if post play doesn't improve, they'll struggle at times.

Honestly ORN might improve in the post if he ever played under the basket. Seems like he is out at the 3 point line too often.

First basketVols game ever attended for me and my son today. So disappointed in the effort on the offensive rebounding end. I really hope Barnes can coach these guys up because this team doesn't look good at all. Not even close to the 11th ranked team in the country so far. Any word on how bad the Plavsic injury is?

There are days when the ball doesn't go in the hole, hitch in the shooting mechanics, etc... However, there is NO excuse for that lack of defensive effort.
Kudos to Colo, they found what was working and exploited it.
You’re more likely to have one of those days when you’re taking bad shots like we were taking. A couple of perimeter passes and a shot is not good offense and, unless one of those passes is a skip pass that leads to an open 3 in rhythm, you’re taking a bad shot.

Reactions: djohnnyg and Atzar
You’re more likely to have one of those days when you’re taking bad shots like we were taking. A couple of perimeter passes and a shot is not good offense and, unless one of those passes is a skip pass that leads to an open 3 in rhythm, you’re taking a bad shot.

This was my problem as well.

It’s easy to turn the page on a loss if we’re playing good ball and the shots just aren’t dropping. That’s basketball. But that’s not what we saw today. We were taking contested shots after minimal movement and getting the results we deserved. We can’t expect positive regression to the mean after a game like this. Unless we start generating much better offense, this IS the mean.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Counting the Gonzaga expedition we've now shot awful in 5/6 halves played
I guess that showing went to their heads. May take a while to get back on track. I think they need to substitute less and let them learn to play together again. Anyone have an updated on the injury?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Clark
We have shooters. Just had a cold game.
Not like we've not seen that before....and usually in some of our most important games. Live by the 3, die by the 3. We need to upgrade the front court in a big way. Until then, if we're to have any real success this season, we can't take nights off defensively. Just not good enough to do that as today shows.

Kentucky will run us out of the gym in both games.
LOL, actually, I would not be surprised to see us beat them like we always do at least once in the regular season, probably in Knoxville. But I am going to have to adjust downward my now somewhat low expectations for this team. We have almost no real offensive presence on the inside and our guards are very limited, now that they don't have someone like a Kennedy Chandler to lean on.

I'm concerned about this team. Like someone previously said, the missed shots aren't a big deal. It happens. However, we had no transition offense, no finishing at the rim, and very little creation. We took 90% contested shots. That's not a recipe for success. Chandler was very important to this team.

Not impressed at all. Too focused on shooting 3s, no inside presence, poor shooting, whipped on the glass, and not taking care of the ball. Terrible performance.
totaly agree...he better get an inside game or we will lose alot

Not impressed at all. Too focused on shooting 3s, no inside presence, poor shooting, whipped on the glass, and not taking care of the ball. Terrible performance.
totaly agree...he better get an inside game or we will lose alot
Better question is how do you get outscored 40 (or so) to 10 from inside.
why wouldnt you put others in the game...it was awful

Okay, I’ve been very supportive of Barnes but this team doesn’t seem to have that “dog” in them.

It’s still early but man, this sucks. Lol

VN Store

Back